Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another Oil in Servo Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KeeperPhil

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Another Oil in Servo Problem

I have a late April 2007 registered auto D3 TDV6 which I bought in 2015. I discovered I had the 'hard' brake pedal problem when I was touring around the French Alps recently and need to stop very quickly to avoid an errant Frenchman pushing his luck around blind bends. More by luck than judgement I used the electronic handbrake and avoided a trip down the side of a ravine.

The independent garage from whom I purchased it diagnosed the problem over the phone and with due care I got home safely. They examined the car and reckoned the vacuum pipes had been replaced and the PO17 recall seemed to have been done despite them finding quite a lot of oil in the servo unit.

They suggested I contact the Land Rover UK Customer Relationship Centre and explain the problem. They couldn't find any record of my vehicle having had the PO17 recall done. Eventually they transferred me to my local LR dealership who from the VIN found the recall had been done at another dealership in August 2010 and that the NRV pipework, servo and vacuum pump had been replaced, they also said that a failure after the recall was my responsibility.

I contacted UKCRC again as I felt perhaps the full recall work may not have been done and surely they were still responsible as it's a safety issue.
I received an email by return stating: "With regrets that I must inform you that we would not look to contribute toward the cost of the repair. As the work carried out on your vehicle in 2010 would be considered robust and despite the fact you have experienced a similar concern, it has taken 7 years to come to attention."

I've looked at the servo and there's a paper label affixed to it with the TRW logo and part numbers 5H327B464EB and SJG500210 would an original LR part have a TRW logo? Given the recall was done in 2010 if the servo was replaced it would have the later part number SJJ500090 on it.

I'm reluctant to hand the car over to a dealership as quite honestly I can't afford their prices. I've moved since I bought the car and the indie is now a 90 mile round trip. We have a small garage in our village who competently maintain my other vehicles and they're happy to take the work on. They've suggested I buy the parts and they'll charge labour only.

I'm most disappointed with the attitude of LR has anyone else found themselves in this situation, or got any advice?

Post #186745111th Oct 2017 3:50 pm
Sean North

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 4

My 06 had the same last year, recall work had been done some time ago.

Vacuum pump seal had gone - £1500 later it was sorted.

Don't waste your time chasing LR for a contribution.

Post #186745611th Oct 2017 4:05 pm
KeeperPhil

Thanks for responding Sean. The photo attachment is very useful, giving the part numbers and prices. I'm not sure whether the vacuum pipe will be the same as mine is a year younger and possibly an EU4 model, I've told I can't do an EGR blank without the ECU mod.

I'm at a stage where every time it goes into the garage it comes out with a nigh on four figure bill. I've been offered peanuts for it in p/x and am wondering whether it's time to cut my losses and get rid of it as I now no longer need a large 4x4.

It's a shame because it's been a very useful tool. It's load capacity was a godsend when we moved house. When I was gamekeepering it would carry a tonne of pheasant feed across the farm including several ploughed fields the farmer forgot to keep headlands around with ease. Then with a quick lick and a spit to tidy it up toured round Europe with four up and two labs .

I've had no response from LR to my emails so I guess it's down to me to get it repaired so that if I get rid it won't be a death trap to an unsuspecting new owner.

Post #186772012th Oct 2017 10:10 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

How Censored much for a vacuum pump? Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #186773412th Oct 2017 11:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sean North

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 4

Go on then, ruin my day - what's the Mikey price ?

To be fair, they did valet it and the complementary refreshments in reception were very good.

Post #186773812th Oct 2017 11:37 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Its not a huge saving otherwise, just couldn't believe how much they cost. I have binned, quite literally, hundreds of them Laughing Big Cry
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #186774012th Oct 2017 11:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KeeperPhil

Island 4x4 have Bosch pump for £199 plus VAT.

Post #186778112th Oct 2017 1:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >