DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dual battery for "reserve tank" setup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Dual battery for "reserve tank" setup

Hi,

After getting stranded by a flat battery after a nights camping (fortunately at the bottom of my own paddock) I was thinking of a dual battery system, mainly as I use the car for "events" where im towing my Elise and so dont want a repeat of this situation.

Am I right in saying that I can do a dual battery setup where I have a protected second battery for cranking, or even better protect the original battery and run the car electrics like lights, standard outlets etc of the secondary? The Tmax spit charger kit looks good and not too much money, but im wondering about battery types and configuration? Im not looking for any overland setup e.g no big fridges or recovery winch or serious solar (although they are all interesting)

There is also the possibility id like to run a pair of lines to the rear with an anderson end to run my little trailer winch. How easy/hard is it to route cable to the rear.

Ideas and experience all welcome, thanks.
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2  
Post #185104025th Aug 2017 2:02 pm
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There are quite a few threads on this subject. One for starters

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic128464....lit+charge

Thumbs Up

Post #185106125th Aug 2017 2:56 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

It would be a lot of work (if not impossible) to re-route all interior vehicle lights and existing 12v outlets to a spare battery. So if you do add an auxiliary battery and split charge, you will also be wanting to add some extra new LED lights and new 12v outlets just purely running off this. A lot of people (myself included) have done this.

If you really just want the peace of mind of being able to start your vehicle if it's accidentally flattened, and you're not massively electrically minded, then it may be simpler to consider simply buying a decent jump starter. You can even get mini Lithium Ion ones now which fit in your glovebox. They can also charge your phone etc.

If your heart is set on a 2nd battery, make sure you budget for the battery itself (Can be around £200) and get one that can handle cranking as well as normal 'leisure' use. I use an Odessey battery for this reason. You'll also have to factor in the cost of buying additional 12v sockets and wiring, fuses, etc. - Which all mounts up.

One of the cheapest tips I have for when camping is don't go in and out of your car all night. Every time you open the door, the car 'wakes up' and puts a massive drain on your power. When at camp, I just crack one door and leave it on 'one click of the latch'. This means that you can open all the doors time after time and the car won't wake up. When I go to bed I shut all the doors properly and lock the vehicle. It's not unknown to drain a Disco battery simply by opening the doors constantly all day/night.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #185107625th Aug 2017 3:55 pm
carbore

Thanks, thats a great thread.

In terms of re wiring the lights, I didn't explain that well. What I mean by reserve tank is a battery that powers the car systems normally until it goes flat, but then the second battery can be activated to start the car. I was assuming that the link/unlink thing on a tmax charger could be used for that purpose? also maybe did some form of voltage drop protection e.g if the voltage was dropping it would unlink the reserve battery ?

I probably need to read a few manuals and diagrams.
Post #185109425th Aug 2017 4:51 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

A T Max split charge system and second battery will do just that. Thumbs Up like I said though, make sure your 'spare' battery is rated sufficiently to crank a Discovery.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #185110125th Aug 2017 5:15 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Battery guard is fitted to some trucks, prevents the driver flattening the battery so theres still enough in reserve to start the engine.

Post #185110225th Aug 2017 5:19 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You cant go past the traxide setup IMHO, fully designed and approved by LR to handle the high output alternator and LR electrical requirements.

Traxide have comprehensive DIY installation instruction for Discos + RRS etc, the system is fully automatic and connects both batteries together for starting, and isolates the crank battery when the voltage drops if you are running accessories off the deep cycle battery.

http://www.traxide.com.au/

Post #185123225th Aug 2017 11:08 pm
lynalldiscovery

What about one or two of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Guard-6-...0033.m2042

Post #185125126th Aug 2017 4:01 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That's a different battery guard to the one mentioned above. That one just monitors the battery voltage by Bluetooth rather than preventing discharge. They're good though, I have two fitted to my Disco. But they won't stop your battery going flat.

Post #185125326th Aug 2017 4:56 am
lynalldiscovery

I realise that, but Im sure the op mentioned he was camping so I assumed he would be close to the car most of the time especially when any battery drain may be taking place so was thinking when voltage drops to critical he will get a message on the app and can do something about it, ie start the engine or shut off whatever is pulling the power.

The price was the main thing that got my attention and its only a 2 wire install which might take 5 mins tops if you stretch the job out Thumbs Up

Post #185125526th Aug 2017 5:49 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I use two of them in my Disco, one for cranking and one for aux.They work, but I have to have my iPad / phone pretty much resting on my bonnet to be able to check the voltage.
If they did a Bluetooth 5 version they'd be brill with the longer range.

Post #185125826th Aug 2017 6:04 am
carbore

Tripe wrote:
You cant go past the traxide setup IMHO, fully designed and approved by LR to handle the high output alternator and LR electrical requirements.

Traxide have comprehensive DIY installation instruction for Discos + RRS etc, the system is fully automatic and connects both batteries together for starting, and isolates the crank battery when the voltage drops if you are running accessories off the deep cycle battery.

http://www.traxide.com.au/

I have seen lots of good things about the Traxide but the three questions I have are.

Is there a UK importer?
What is the price in UK?
I notice on the website re the product that it says it cant be fitted to cars with an FBH in front of the original battery. I have an FBH, am I just looking at the wrong/outdated page or is that actually an issue ?

Thanks.
Post #185159527th Aug 2017 8:37 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I couldn't find page that i read it but i believe you can make a bracket to move the FBH over a little then a 2nd battery will fit in front of the main.
Depending on which kit you get you can have an in cab switch to instantly link both batteries if required.

Post #18535243rd Sep 2017 3:52 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

found this web site really helpful Thumbs Up

http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/help/

like the way the VSR will automatically switch over

Post #18535303rd Sep 2017 4:44 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

loanrangie wrote:
I couldn't find page that i read it but i believe you can make a bracket to move the FBH over a little then a 2nd battery will fit in front of the main.
Depending on which kit you get you can have an in cab switch to instantly link both batteries if required.

hi was this the one , alas though it looks like a D4 kit

http://www.traxide.com.au/complete-diy-dua...-dbs-kits/

Post #18535313rd Sep 2017 4:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >