DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discovery 2/4 Hybrid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
HK07

England 
Discovery 2/4 Hybrid

Hi all, I'm over here from Defender2.net

Please hear me out, at this stage I'm just thinking.

But I'm wondering about buying a 300 tdi Discovery 2 and rebuilding the chassis to like new, and putting a Discovery 4 body on it.

All of the above can be bought quite cheap, D2 whilst nice and simple are, in the main, now dirty worn out horrible rusty things and the D4 because they're complicated and expensive to own.

My thoughts are combine the two into a simple nice place to be as a local run about.

Obviously there will be challenges in making it work, but what to we think? Has it been done before?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Post #234517715th Aug 2023 3:24 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome HK07

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you please?

NJSS

Post #234517815th Aug 2023 3:27 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Very Happy That’s an interesting idea Very Happy

So the D2 is based on a RR classic chassis I think ?
Where as the D3/4 is a new chassis I guess? And therefore I guess the main big bolts aren’t just going to line up ?

If you look on YouTube there is a channel called LR time. German man and wife.
They currently have the body off their D3. That may did u some rough mounting points to see if they maybe close.

The thing that makes the D4 so comfortable is the air suspension though.

Post #234518015th Aug 2023 3:44 pm
HK07

England 

NJSS wrote:
Welcome HK07

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you please?

NJSS

Winchester

Post #234518115th Aug 2023 4:08 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I can see it being quite some fun getting the stuff in the D4 body to talk to the stuff on the D2 chassis. The D4 uses a canbus (and other systems) for all of the various ECUs to chat so the body won't know about the chassis and running gear. Which means the dash probably will be uppity and the TR stuff won't work at all, of course.

And then there's the issue of physically connecting the two and making sure things like the steering line up.

I'd have thought it easier to buy a good early D3 on coils for not very much and use the spare cash to fettle it / keep it happy.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #234518315th Aug 2023 4:12 pm
HK07

England 

Pete K wrote:
Very Happy That’s an interesting idea Very Happy

So the D2 is based on a RR classic chassis I think ?
Where as the D3/4 is a new chassis I guess? And therefore I guess the main big bolts aren’t just going to line up ?

If you look on YouTube there is a channel called LR time. German man and wife.
They currently have the body off their D3. That may did u some rough mounting points to see if they maybe close.

The thing that makes the D4 so comfortable is the air suspension though.

Thank you Pete K

I will look our for the German youtubers.

My thoughts are to commission a new galvanised chassis, now I haven't done any mathematics yet, however I was thinking of getting it built to take D2 running gear, engine and gearbox, but D4 body mounts.

How everything else will work combining the two I don't yet know.

As you say, it's an interesting idea.

Post #234518515th Aug 2023 4:14 pm
HK07

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I can see it being quite some fun getting the stuff in the D4 body to talk to the stuff on the D2 chassis. The D4 uses a canbus (and other systems) for all of the various ECUs to chat so the body won't know about the chassis and running gear. Which means the dash probably will be uppity and the TR stuff won't work at all, of course.

And then there's the issue of physically connecting the two and making sure things like the steering line up.

I'd have thought it easier to buy a good early D3 on coils for not very much and use the spare cash to fettle it / keep it happy.

I was thinking rewire everything I want to electricly operated and forget the rest, I am not a lover of ecu's.

Manually and electricly operated for me in a long-term keeper all the way👍

Post #234518815th Aug 2023 4:20 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I like the idea, could be a fun project, but I struggle to immediately see the benefits of what will be a lot of work. That's a heck of a lot of work to hybrid those two, reckon you might be better off stripping out a blown-engine D3 or D4, scrapping all the clever stuff and shoe-horning a more simple engine system in. Maybe a V8 Ford or similar. I'll have a go at that on my 2005 D3 if the engine ever goes caput.

I love the D3 for size, comfort etc, but as a second car I've often wished for more power.

Alternatively still, do what everyone else on here does and buy a GAP tool, read the Haynes cover to cover and make up the rest on-the-job. The electronics might seem overwhelming to start with but actually each system individually isn't overly complex.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #234519215th Aug 2023 6:27 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Some ideas to make your project less complicated.

If you fear the air suspension, you can change to coil suspension. The Americans tend to do that when they feel that they want more reliability in the outback, they’re outta money or suspension is faulty and they don’t have ideas how to fix.

If rust, there are companies selling galvanized chassis for D3/D4, see https://www.merseydiscovery.co.uk/chassis.

If engine… well, not much you can do for the diesels. Petrols probably aren’t your cup of tea.

Of course it’s your money and we desperately want to read about this in the next LRM, preferably with hires pictures…… Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #234520115th Aug 2023 8:00 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HK07 wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:

I was thinking rewire everything I want to electricly operated and forget the rest, I am not a lover of ecu's.

Manually and electricly operated for me in a long-term keeper all the way👍

Hmmm, frankly that sounds like a Frankenstein's Monster. And that story didn't end well for either the Monster or his creator. Laughing

I struggle to see the benefit of a stripped out D4 shell on D2 mechanicals over a really nicely sorted D2.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #234520215th Aug 2023 8:00 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure how well the D4 monocoque body would sit on a D2 chassis. The D2 chassis is a parallel ladder, where the D4 is widened in the middle, and narrow at each end. Also thinking the vehicle inspection peeps might not like the combination?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #234520415th Aug 2023 8:19 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The D2 is a 100in wheelbase, the D3/4 113.6in. So the D4 wheel arches aren't going to line up with the D2 wheel locations.

On both, the rear bumper is the rear chassis cross member so the next query is what is the length of each's chassis between the rear wheel centre and the rear face of the cross member? You'd need the rear end to line up or the tailgate won't work very well and what's the point of a D4 body without the split tailgate?
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #234520815th Aug 2023 8:57 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

OK. Quick question - Why? Confused
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234523115th Aug 2023 11:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If the primary reason is to have the 300tdi engine, then why not make that fit and work in a coil sprung D3/4?

Not easy, but surely easier than what you’re proposing and I would think a better vehicle at the end of it.

I greatly admire people like yourself, who think up such projects and have the skills and patience to make them work. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #234523216th Aug 2023 12:22 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Takes me back to the days of swapping the V8 petrol guzzler out of Range Rovers and fitting a diesel engine, I have fitted many different makes of diesel engine in the past from lorry engines to a Perkins 4236 out of a fork lift truck, quite a challenge, there just was not a good 3+ltr diesel engine made until the present TDV6 came along.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #234523916th Aug 2023 7:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >