Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

2nd compressed air tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fusion158

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
2nd compressed air tank

So I am going to be installing an ARB compressor to go with the air locker I got installed when I got my rear diff repaired and it got me thinking. I know I will be able to inflate my tires with it but I want to try and speed up the process. So I was wondering, if I got a 2nd Land Rover air tank could I install it on the right side of the car? I took a quick look and there is space that could possibly fit another tank but I want to get some other peoples opinions before I go any further.

Post #199211715th Oct 2018 10:48 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would ask ARB what they say ref tnak size as you may find the compressor duty cycle time cant stretch to such a large tank.

More interestingly, tell us more about the Air diff locker, I doubt anyone has done this in the UK yet.

Post #199213816th Oct 2018 7:16 am
HarryO

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I did exactly that - fitted a second genuine LR D3 Suspension Air tank in the same position but on on the opposite side (got idea from this site) - works great and gives a fair capacity @ 200psi. Installed 2 x Viair 480C’s under the hood and Bobs your Aunty.

Also piped it in as an emergency backup for the suspension compressor if it gives up the ghost.
 Land Rovers never get bogged! - merely delayed
Land Rovers never break down! - merely fail to proceed.
Land Rovers never leak oil - it’s a built in anti-rust feature

Discovery 4 TDV6
Discovery 4 TDV6 (Stolen)
Discovery 3 SE (Sold)
Discovery 2 (Sold)
Defender 110 (Sold)
Series 2 (Chev 4.1 Motor & S2A Gearbox) (Sold)
Toyota Hilux bakkie (Ute) (Broke it) 

Post #199242317th Oct 2018 9:51 am
fusion158

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I would ask ARB what they say ref tnak size as you may find the compressor duty cycle time cant stretch to such a large tank.

More interestingly, tell us more about the Air diff locker, I doubt anyone has done this in the UK yet.

HarryO wrote:
I did exactly that - fitted a second genuine LR D3 Suspension Air tank in the same position but on on the opposite side (got idea from this site) - works great and gives a fair capacity @ 200psi. Installed 2 x Viair 480C’s under the hood and Bobs your Aunty.

Also piped it in as an emergency backup for the suspension compressor if it gives up the ghost.

I will be contacting ARB shortly to confirm but from what I read on the spec document the duty cycle is 100% so I think I'll be ok. Once I get everything setup I will report back on the air locker. Right now it's installed and the piping is tied up to the chassis.

HarryO, did you have to do any modifications to mount the tank on the opposite side? Do you have any pictures?

Post #199292918th Oct 2018 5:38 pm
HarryO

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes - the mountings for the tank are not on both sides of the vehicle so I had to make up a set of brackets to hold the tank.

Where are you mounting your Compressor - in the engine bay? Reason I ask is that the ambient temp in the engine bay is quite high so it impacts the duty cycle of the compressor quite a bit - that’s why I ended up installing 2 compressors in parallel = 1/2 the running time to fill the tank. Even so they get bloody hot!

Will try dig out the photo’s I took at the time.

Land Rovers never get bogged! - merely delayed
Land Rovers never break down! - merely fail to proceed.
Land Rovers never leak oil - it’s a built in anti-rust feature

Discovery 4 TDV6
Discovery 4 TDV6 (Stolen)
Discovery 3 SE (Sold)
Discovery 2 (Sold)
Defender 110 (Sold)
Series 2 (Chev 4.1 Motor & S2A Gearbox) (Sold)
Toyota Hilux bakkie (Ute) (Broke it) 

Post #199302718th Oct 2018 10:04 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Here's some pictures when I fitted a second air tank

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/lr-airtank-...r+air+tank
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #199303518th Oct 2018 11:02 pm
fusion158

HarryO wrote:
Yes - the mountings for the tank are not on both sides of the vehicle so I had to make up a set of brackets to hold the tank.

Where are you mounting your Compressor - in the engine bay? Reason I ask is that the ambient temp in the engine bay is quite high so it impacts the duty cycle of the compressor quite a bit - that’s why I ended up installing 2 compressors in parallel = 1/2 the running time to fill the tank. Even so they get bloody hot!

Will try dig out the photo’s I took at the time.

I am not sure if I will mount it in the engine bay, I am doing a dual battery setup too so the only option in there would be beside the coolant reservoir and that's a little too exposed for my liking. I don't want them getting submerged in water when I go off roading and meet a nice puddle.

Wiggs, that is very nicely done. Think I will be using a similar design Very Happy

Post #199314819th Oct 2018 3:37 pm
Lightwater

Australia 

There is some info on multiple ARB compressor & air tank setup on a Freelander here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30454.html

An air tank will not speed things up as such, it just saves air while moving between tyres so you are a bit ahead. You really need more compressors. The ARB dual has 100% duty cycle, the single has 50% duty cycle. Add a cooling fan & the single will be 100%. 3 compressors are a wisker ahead of what you can push into a tyre.

There is a CFM vs PSI & amps chart halfway​ down the second page: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31558.html

A few more notes: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32499.html

Post #199376522nd Oct 2018 1:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >