DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ABS help...please :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MrPotatoHead

ABS help...please :)

Hi,

Hoping to God someone can advise me!

I took my 56 plate Disco 3 to get its MOT done 12 days ago. It went in with no light on the dash, and although I knew there was a suspension leak, I didn’t think there was anything else wrong with it.

Later that day I heard it failed on a split CV boot on the passenger side front wheel, and after some umming and ahhhing, I decided to leave it with them to fix.

Fast forward a week later, the car passes its MOT and I go to pick it up.

I start the car...and get a dashboard of lights (see below - only one not showing in this photo is a red suspension light with arrows going left/right...I knocked these off with the Hawkeye)...along with messages reading HDC fault, Special Programmes Unavailable, Park Brake Fault AND the speedo doesn’t work!

The garage claimed they hadn’t done anything and there was nothing that they could/would do other than reset the codes with the laptop (which is pointless as I have access to a Hawkeye). So frustrating...

So I took it home and read the codes and it told me the front passenger ABS sensor needed replacing i.e. on the same wheel they had just replaced the CV boot on (which requires the half shaft being removed...which means they are working suspiciously near the ABS sensor). So I replaced the ABS sensor and just to be safe, I also changed the Park Brake Switch too as I had one and they are easy to swap.

The lights stayed on...the error messages still showed.

I connected it up to the Hawkeye again, and this time there was only one code showing C1A91 Speed Sensor. Signal plausibility failure.

Have been Googling this and found very little so far...other than a minute before posting this, where a I read a hard reset might work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, and I am thinking of selling the car and the draw of 12 months MOT is is being slightly sidelined by the slew of lights on the dash!

Fingers crossed!

Post #20055933rd Dec 2018 8:34 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Firstly I would not have done the work I would have told the garage to sort it.
Secondly how did it pass with the ABS light on

Otherwise I cant help sorry
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #20055963rd Dec 2018 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Balance of probability suggests it has to be something to do with abs in that corner of the car. If you have already replaced the sensor, and the pickup ring is undamaged, I would start checking the wires in and from the plug?,

Post #20055973rd Dec 2018 8:48 am
MrPotatoHead

On the work front I know...I will be taking it up with them today, I just thought it was a quick fix...

They are conveniently saying it happened after they tested it.

Also meant to say the speedo isn’t working still either.

Luckily, I also have a Freelander 2, so the Disco is just sitting on the drive...

Post #20055983rd Dec 2018 8:48 am
MrPotatoHead

Gareth wrote:
Balance of probability suggests it has to be something to do with abs in that corner of the car. If you have already replaced the sensor, and the pickup ring is undamaged, I would start checking the wires in and from the plug?,

Yes, I would agree!

Can't really be anything else, but it's suspiciously coincidental that it happened after the garage took out the half shaft. Wonder if they damaged the pickup ring whilst taking the half shaft out...

Is the pickup ring something which would be taken off when removing a half shaft, do you know?

Will reinspect the wires this evening, but couldn't see anything obvious when I inspected them yesterday (and this was after removing the wing liner, so had good viability).

Post #20056173rd Dec 2018 10:37 am
MrPotatoHead

Gareth wrote:

...and sorry...when you say the "plug", which plug are you referring to...the one the abs sensor clips into?

Post #20056183rd Dec 2018 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >