Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Roof Rack or Tow Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lm1993

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Roof Rack or Tow Bar

I’m back into my cycling and therefore wish to transport my bike plus another using my D3. Question is, what’s best to go for a roof rack or a tow bar attachment? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post #202204724th Jan 2019 10:36 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've got a thule one that fixes to a plate behind the tow ball so I can still tow a trailer if I wanted and carry 3/4 bikes (at a push! wife, mine and the kids bikes, so not full size).

It copes fine and holds the bikes still. They're crap bikes too, nothing special and are a bit heavy compared to the posh stuff.

Downside to it is we have dogs and the handle bars stop the top boot opening so it's a pain to get into the boot and I can't lean in from the back seat as the dogs are in dog boxes. When we stop on our way camping, it's a right faff to open the back to let the dogs out for a leg stretch and a wee.

Positive side is its easy to load the bikes on the back and you don't have to struggle to get them on the roof, even at access hiehgt without steps it can be a fiddle if you aren't vertically enhanced. If you forget they are on, you won't "remember" when you hit the height barrier at the car park. Rolling with laughter

Pro's and con's and down to personal choice I suppose. Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #202211925th Jan 2019 6:14 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've got a Thule bike carrier that goes on the tow-ball and it folds down to give access to boot with bikes in situ.

I'd rather the tow-ball option over a roof-rack - much less vehicular restriction issues and easier to load/un-load bikes and they don't have to be 'car specific' either like bars and foot/rail mounts, etc. Thumbs Up

Post #202212725th Jan 2019 8:14 am
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Got the MaxxRaxx 4 bike, following suggestions on here. Bolts onto Flange tow bar plate.

Can still tow the Tin tent with them on.

Can lower them away from the car to open top part of Boot.

Did have to make an adjustment to the frame, as the ALKO stabilizer on the van was catching the bracket.
 MY07 Freelander2 SE Santorini Black - Gone
MY10 D4 XS Buckingham Blue
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #202218325th Jan 2019 11:17 am
al cope

England 

Had the witter 4 bike rack on my towbar (the bolt on type). Very easy to use. Its up for sale on here right now as I cant use it with the deployable towbar on my D5 Big Cry

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #202219125th Jan 2019 11:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have the OEM Expedition rack and a ladder. The side bars of the rack take normal car roof bars and I have the cycle carriers mounted on that. So these additional bits can come off altogether as a "oner" when we are not taking the bikes away on trips.

So easy to go up the ladder and have someone lift a bike up to one if it is a 6 foot plus doing the lifting. Girlfriend is considerably shorther than that so bikes go up and down on a short bit of rope if it is her who is assisting. Space there for at least four full size bikes. No restriction on opening tail gates, or things getting in way of caravan.

I got one of those counterballance cycle lifts which would be ideal, but for the Expo rack making the vehicle too high
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #202221925th Jan 2019 1:14 pm
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ive got both
Thule tow bar rack that swings down to allow boot access
Thule roof bar racks for holidays when we are towing the caravan.

The Tow bar rack is superb. Use it whenever we are out and about with the bikes, really easy to hitch up and the ones the swing down to allow boot access make life so much easier.

Thule roof mounted are also a greta bit of kit, but as other have said are more of a faff and you have to be aware they are there. I only use them when towing

Cheers

Post #202223925th Jan 2019 2:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >