Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Puncture

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Sluggish accelerator / delayed 0-60

54 plate Disco 3 HSE. Auto 180k

Hi all,

Yet another fault!
I regularly use cruise control on the motorway and the other day I noticed it drop from 65 to 50 a few times but hover around the lower speed until I turned cruise control on/off again. Furthermore, I've noticed the rev counter 'pulses' around 70mph around 2000 revs. Yesterday I struggled to pull off in time at a roundabout as she wouldn't pull off quickly from the stop line and today, just, I was stuck doing <10mph with my foot to the floor until the throttle eventually woke up and roared into action. Any ideas?
Cheers, Sam

Post #202974418th Feb 2019 2:43 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

slow response pulling off is EGR's, best place to start. Blank them and forget about them.

fluctuating revs suggest Torque converter. I am not a mechanic but own a D3 so have started to become one.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #202976018th Feb 2019 3:11 pm
Puncture

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Regarding the EGR valve, would that be something which would suddenly cause a fault like this? It felt like it was in some kind of limp mode... I fully engaged the throttle and there must have been a delay of a good 15 seconds. Furthermore, whilst in park I can put my foot down and the engine makes more of a quieter, electric car kind of noise rather than a 2.7 diesel roar - I'm only basing this on my old Navara D40 though. Is this normal? I blanked my EGR on my Nav for fuel economy reasons and it required about 5 minutes of my time and a £5 custom-made METAL blanking plate from ebay; is it that easy on the Disco 3 too?

The TC sounds a little worrying; is that DIYable? Are there other symptoms I should be looking out for?

Post #202981518th Feb 2019 5:09 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

You can get blanking kits on ebay for about a fiver and not that hard regarding the TC you can try doctor tranny in there may work for a while but it usually mean's a new traction control unit ay about £1200 i seem to recall being mentioned Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #202982818th Feb 2019 5:43 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

sorry and yep as stated. blanking kit is easy to do (not that i did mine and Geoff did.....) but he made it look easy. Whistle Think you need to leave the pipes though so it will get through the MOT. Torque converter isn't cheap. I went to Keighley (BA Transmissions) and had it done there.

They take out the bad one and swap for a reconditioned one. Mine was circa £600 all up and they needed it for two days. I booked a hotel and took the MTB out while I waited. Wish i hadn't as Yorkshire isn't very flat.

Dr Tranny does and can work but essentially it is just masking the underlying problem and ultimately can cause issues with the gear box. Some lose all signs of slipping forever, some have it back within two weeks. Mine helped for about 4 months but as it is a keeper I wanted to get it sorted.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #202983118th Feb 2019 5:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >