Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Discovery 3 lost drive in forward gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MAC123

United Kingdom 
Discovery 3 lost drive in forward gears

I have lost drive in all forward gears in my manual Discovery 3 2.7 , It will move when put into reverse .It has just had a new clutch and DMF as it was shuddering on acceleration in 1st 2nd 3rd gears which I thought was the DMF . The shuddering was not as bad when the new clutch and DMF was fitted but was still there. IF I put it in forward gears and press the accelerator I can hear something spinning in the gearbox/transfer box , Has anyone any Ideas what has gone wrong in the gearbox/ transfer box Do I need a new gearbox or transfer box . Any help would be appreciated . TIA

Post #22407078th Jul 2021 1:50 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It sounds like a major gearbox fault which if proven so is unusual as they are a very robust transmission.
From what you have said, your clutch would appear to be OK if you have reverse gear, as would your transfer box.
However, there should be absolutely no shudder whatsoever, so either something is not right with the work carried out, or the box has failed internally.

You could perhaps check the linkages are OK before condemning it, but used transmissions and transfer boxes are available here at varying but reasonable prices.
https://www.gentlemenofsalvage.co.uk/colle...ox%20Parts

Get it checked and nail down the problem before buying any replacement parts.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22407088th Jul 2021 2:24 am
MAC123

United Kingdom 

Thanks PROFSR G for the reply , I have had a look all linkages are ok , In reverse it drives ok , When I put it in any forward gears no drive at all, but can hear something spinning and grinding in the gearbox I think may be a bearing failure or shaft failure I fitted the new clutch and DMF myself , the old DMF I took out had had it as well as the clutch . I have not had the Discovery long and it had a hard life before I got it being used on a farm and driven off road towing all kinds of heavy equipment.

Post #22408848th Jul 2021 8:19 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A second hand box should get you going again. It does sound like shaft/gear failure, but if its had a very hard life maybe you'd be as well to replace the transfer box too. Although it's no big deal to do it later. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22408928th Jul 2021 8:42 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Are you sure the noise is from the gearbox, check the front hubs to see if both splines are still intact, they are known to strip and loose drive.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #22409889th Jul 2021 9:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAC123

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply Flack, drive shafts are fine one is new just been fitted as the ABS ring had come loose on the old shaft The noise is coming from the gearbox . It will drive in reverse gear with no problems its only forward gears that have gone ,if it was a driveshaft problem it would not drive forwards or backwards in any gear.

Post #22410789th Jul 2021 8:45 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

MAC123 wrote:
if it was a driveshaft problem it would not drive forwards or backwards in any gear.

Not true I had one that would only go in reverse and it was the front hub stripped. good luck with the gearbox though.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #224112510th Jul 2021 9:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >