Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

MOT fail brake issue from garage fix! What are my rights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shendley78

United Kingdom 
MOT fail brake issue from garage fix! What are my rights?

Having owned my D3 for just under a year the first MOT in my ownership is due.
To my concern today when it went in for a check it failed on metal to metal pads on the rear.
It’s somewhat a surprise, as in December 2018 I had fitted by a local independent 4x4 all new discs and pads plus handbrake shoes all round.

I wasn’t made aware at the time that the rear callipers were sticking but was told today. I called them to express my concern having had this failure. The garage MOT’ing said I might need new discs as well as pads?

I have only covered 12k since fitting the new pads. Do I have a right to complain or take this further?
 Disco 3 - base player
No mods just glad it’s a runner. 

Post #209633131st Oct 2019 12:43 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

normally 3 months warranty or 3000 kms but you could go back to the garage and ask them what the problem is and they may come to the party or tell friends to steer clear of the place. Do you go off road much? as mud and gravel will do the damage

Post #209633531st Oct 2019 1:53 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The calipers on the D3 do seem rather more prone to sticking than many, both the pistons and the slider pins.
I don't think you really have any redress after 10 months and 12,000 miles on what is considered 'consumables'.
I think a great many professional/paid mechanics don't clean up and lube the slider pins and/or pistons when doing brakes, but after this length of time it'd be tricky to say whether or not it was done anyway...which is one of the many reasons I only ever do the brakes myself.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #209633831st Oct 2019 2:49 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nearly 11 months ago, I don't think they will entertain a claim against a wear/tear part, especially on a 12ye old car...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #209634631st Oct 2019 6:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

Sorry but they do not wear that quickly - my guess was that the work was not actually done back in Dec 18 but they still charged you for it.

Garry

Post #209634731st Oct 2019 6:33 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If a caliper has seized, even partially, it will accelerate brake pad wear...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #209637131st Oct 2019 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No idea how you drive, how often you use the brakes...you could be a heavy user.

But as said 11 months on...suck it up and pay to get redone, paying particular attention to calipers

Post #209637931st Oct 2019 9:09 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

garrycol wrote:
Sorry but they do not wear that quickly - my guess was that the work was not actually done back in Dec 18 but they still charged you for it.

Garry

I used to test cars at Millbrook Proving ground, We did some work for the police, they wanted to know which were the best pads as their police cars were going through loads..

We fitted various pads and discs and took it around the handling track aggressively.. they lasted about 4 hours each..

If you drive like a dick, then your pads will wear down.. how do the garage know how its been driven??

The driver could have been to the Nürburgring for all they know..

replace the pads and discs and either have the calipers replaced (~£30 each) or have them checked and monitor them for the next 6 months..

I would say they're not wearing evenly which can suggest a sticking caliper or aggressive driving.. if they were wearing evenly then the light would have been on ages ago.. that means the inner pads are wearing quicker than the outers (where the sensor is fitted..

Was it both sides metal on metal? the sensor is only fitted to the RH wheel outer pad..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #209638431st Oct 2019 9:25 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Metal to metal? - there is no doubt about it you will need new discs or you will be changing the pads again some time very soon.
Didn’t you look at the new discs when you had them changed?- I always do even when I do them myself!
As said above a sticking calliper will wear the pads out and/or distort the disc in 100s of miles not 1000s, look on the bright side your fuel consumption will go down dramatically when they are replaced Smile
It is unusual for both callipers to stick, you have probably been unlucky and the side without the sensor on has been sticking, if both sides are worn and the pads and discs where changed it could be your driving style, but you should have had a warning light on unless the sensor cable has been “doctored”.
If only one side has worn don’t be tempted to only change that side?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #209640431st Oct 2019 10:22 am
Shendley78

United Kingdom 

Hi D3 Team,

Thank you for all your comments and support.

Just to put a few points from my side across, I don't drive like a d!ck. I drive a Disco, as you know big, heavy and slow. I work on the principle of "smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon" so driving slow is the order of the day for me. Yes, I do drive off-road, I am a member of GLASS and drive slow and very slow along every lane, mostly in an idle tick over. It really bugs me seeing videos of lanes being used by d!cks using them as if they are normal roads.

I hadn't noticed any drag on the rear wheels until very recently. I do a regular visual inspection of the brakes and could see okay pad levels on the outer pad, but hadn't checked the condition of the inner pad. What was interesting the garage doing the MOT, said the rear pad sensor on the offside wasn't attached and didn't look like it ever had been. In fact it was tucked away where it should be routed but left loose. However no light on the dash to indicate this.

Like a lot of you have said, its just a shame and to suck it up... Sadly I trusted someone else with fixing my truck. I can say for sure I won't be taking it back to the original garage and will be seeking a good mechanic for the big stuff. In the instance of sorting the brakes I have already ordered the replacement parts and I'll do it myself this weekend.
 Disco 3 - base player
No mods just glad it’s a runner. 

Post #209641131st Oct 2019 10:50 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If it's just inner pad wear sounds like the slider pin has seized in the caliper mount.
Be prepared when changing the brakes that the slider pins can need a LOT of force to get them out.
Take the caliper, move the rubber boot back and spray some penetrating oil where the slider pin goes into the mount. If you have time you can 'fill the boot' with penetrating oil and leave it to work a bit.
In any event a well-fitting ring spanner or socket to rotate the stuck pin should help unseize it somewaht, though you still might need some force to get it off.
If you're really struggling and as a last resort you could whack the pin in a bit to at least shift position before then trying to twist and pull it out.
At the very least get a new set of pins and boots and some ceramic brake grease ready for the job.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #209644731st Oct 2019 1:44 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Shendley78 wrote:
What was interesting the garage doing the MOT, said the rear pad sensor on the offside wasn't attached and didn't look like it ever had been. In fact it was tucked away where it should be routed but left loose. However no light on the dash to indicate this.

Just so you know, I don't think that you drive like that, I just meant, how do the garage know that? A lot can happen in 10 Months..

As for the sensor, you wont get a light on until the circuit is broken, this is usually when the disc 'wears' through the physical sensor as your pad gets lower. but if its not fitted to the pad then of course the circuit is intact.. if they had left it unplugged you'd also get a light because the circuit isn't complete.

I guess you could comment on that to them and ask why the sensor wasn't fitted, but you'd still be lucky to prove anything..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #209648331st Oct 2019 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >