Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Won’t start!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sean007

Won’t start!!!

Hi guys/girls
I have a problem with my disco 3 (manual) for a day or so I have had to move the gear stick to the right with some force to get it to start or so I thought that made it start then it would be okay for the rest of the day, gone to it this morning tried my little technique and wouldn’t start no click nothing just a relay sound in the fuse box which I’m pretty sure has no relevance to the problem,
So iv spent the day messing about with various things trying to get it to start, end up getting mad and cramming the gearstick to the right with a lot of force and it started, turned it of and started up again as if nothing happened, nipped to parents house to pick a tailgate actuator up fit that, then re calibrated my on screen gear thingy, turned it off and now won’t start same as before lights on system check etc, turn key to start nothing.. but now it won’t even lock, I’m guessing my key battery or key as a whole is Knackered.. best bit is it’s my only key...

So would you agree my key is at fault or something less expensive (hoping for the less expensive option)

Any help is greatly appreciated..
I will borrow a scanner to if I have any faults which I don’t think I will in all honesty

Post #21107044th Jan 2020 7:17 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Under the bonnet in the relay box is the start motor relay marked
SM

You could swap it with another relay. It’s cheap.

Or if you understand relays, ensure the gearbox is in neutral and try and bridge the contacts to see if the starter is fully ok

Post #21107104th Jan 2020 7:29 pm
Sean007

I have swapped the SM relay in fact that was my first port of call (do
I get brownie points for that?) but have not got my bit of wire out yet because I thought it was possibly an immobiliser issue but the key central locking has come back to life now perhaps I had confused it and when I took the key far enough away it’s reset itself...

I have a horrible feeling it has something todo with the gear stick position, there must be away to override that though

Thanks for your reply 👍

Post #21107274th Jan 2020 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >