Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Bonnet Catch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BoBo Boyd

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Bonnet Catch

The bonnet has been stuck fast for a couple of days now and I've finally managed to get it open ready to put a cable tie on the little black box. only to find the box is still closed and working as normal.
The problem is with the near side bonnet catch and the cable being loose and i'm presuming that was caused by me when I cleaned 9 years of crud out of it to get the bonnet shut.
I've searched the forum and I've had a close look at most of the pictures I could find but does anyone have a diagram/picture of how the cable attaches to the catch itself? I've got an LR3 Workshop Manual on disc and cant even find it on there.
Any help would be much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #21522688th Jun 2020 11:17 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I don't really understand your issue now or what the little black box is that needs a cable tie.

If you have trouble opening the bonnet and closing it then it could be that the cable has stretched ver time/use. I have recently changed mine due to difficulty shutting the bonnet and it was getting noticeably worse at releasing to open as well.

The release cable is one piece under the bonnet.
It passes through the NS catch. The ferrules locate onto a hook that activates the catch.

Post #21523818th Jun 2020 8:40 pm
BoBo Boyd

JMack, the bonnet cable is in two pieces, one from the handle in the car to a black long junction box on the the inner near side wing and the other from the same junction box to the front bonnet catches. This junction box, from what I’ve read, perishes over time and opens and the cables become loose and shut the bonnet fast. So a cable tie is used to keep the box closed and the cables secured. But on my car the cable under the near side catch had come loose and wasn’t releasing so I need a picture or diagram of how it goes because at the moment I think I’ve just bodged it and don’t know when it will go again Big Cry
BoBo Thumbs Up

Post #21523968th Jun 2020 10:00 pm
JMack

Yes as I said it's one piece under the bonnet, well from the connection that joins the part coming through the bulkhead from the handle inside the car.

If it's loose in the catch it's probably stretched. I'd be inclined to just fit a new one for the less than £10 it is for the part.

As I said there is a hook type part in the catch that the ferrule in the middle of the cable catches onto to activate the catch when the handle is pulled.

You should be able to see looking down on the top of the catch that the cable is bunched up a bit, I managed to poke a screwdriver in there to push the cable back into position.

I'd had problems with it for months before deciding to do something about it and it was an easy straight forward job. I changed both catches as well as the cable. It's more obvious when you have the new parts and can see in there easier as to what is meant to happen.

I knew I should've taken photos when I was doing it!

Post #21524549th Jun 2020 8:59 am
BoBo Boyd

Cheers JMack, I think for a the sake of £10 and a peaceful sleep, the cables getting changed Very Happy
PS I had to google ferrule, great word Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #21524629th Jun 2020 10:04 am
JMack

Ferrule is probably not the right word for the part, but was the best I could come up with when trying to write that! Laughing

Post #21525169th Jun 2020 1:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >