Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fluctuating revs on slow down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fluctuating revs on slow down

I wonder if anyone can help with my issue, 2006 TDV6 auto with 145000 on clock, had mega flush done by Bodsy 2 years ago to sort out slight hunting when loaded going uphill, this solved problem & gearbox has been fine since (only done about 15000 miles since) now have the issue of when coming to a junction & allowing engine braking to slow down revs fluctuate only about 250 rpm but Rev counter just moves up & down, once I’ve slowed right down revs drop below 1000 & then it’s ok, when this is happening there is no hunting or surging from car & no noticeable noise.
I’ve read thru loads of posts on here for similar issues, some say torque converter others say egr’s I’m kind of hoping it’s the later as I could do that myself but TC is different issue don’t think I’m confident enough to tackle that.
I will be getting a read out of fault codes to see if anything shows up shortly.
Is there anyone on here who does these regularly & doesn’t charge the earth, I’m ok with paying but not stealer or even my local indie prices, anyone any experience of reconditioned TC’s or it it best to go for new & genuine LR or OEM, Bristol transmissions have one at good price £625 (ZF genuine) compared to some at over £1800, what other work might be required on gearbox as my car has pretty high mileage?

I know someone will say it’s on a thread on here but I’ve not been able to find it so any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

Post #217676229th Sep 2020 8:48 am
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

When the revs fluctuated on mine it was the TC. Dr Tranny sorted it for a while and then I had to get it done. Drove to Keighley from Scotland and spent a night in the Travelodge. Had mine swapped out for a re con and it was great for many miles after. Took two days. Back then it was £500 but I think it is now closer to £650. No idea where you live but for me it was cheaper to do the drive and hotel than get a dealer to do it.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #217690730th Sep 2020 8:00 am
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

BA Transmissions Keighley. Give them a shout and see what they say.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #217690930th Sep 2020 8:00 am
alex_pescaru

It may be the down gear changes, alternating TCC locked / unlocked, to improve engine braking.

Post #217691930th Sep 2020 9:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >