Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another EPB problem, but not the usual.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ChrisoOo

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Another EPB problem, but not the usual.....?

Hellooooooo everyone!

I’m killing two birds with one stone here, an intro, and an epb problem! Im Chris, I’m new to Disco’s but not LR as a brand, for my sins I did 7 years with the Army so have spent about 7 1/2 years under broken defenders!

So, I recently bought an 06’ HSE, nice motor. The guy sold me a lemon, and I’ll be dealing with him eventually, but for now I’m working through the long list of jobs. It was sold to me with a handbrake problem, the guy claims he had no idea what was up with it, but the yellow light was on and it doesn’t do anything on the button (guy is a trader by the way). I took a chance and bought it. So as he said, EPB does nothing, but the car drives as it should. I took delivery and decided to get stuck in. First thing I find, EPB fuse in the arm rest. So I put it back in, pull the lever, and it works! Handbrake comes on, and even releases. There’s a slight whirring, but no squeal as such. Anyway, it did that once and now it’s got a mind of its own. It started by fully applying, but when releasing it was as if the shoes were dragging. I put it down to incorrect adjustment. But it’s just getting worse now.

The situation I have now - EPB will apply, but not release UNLESS I use my obd to either unjam, or move to the mounting position. Then if I try and latch it the module sounds like it’s running, with very little resistance for about 2 minutes, and the parking brake is on again, but won’t release. The dash says that the handbrake isn’t on, but it is, and when I pull the lever to put it on, the motor can be heard running one way, and then it sounds like it’s running the other way. I’ve looked at the live data, and can see the torque figures do reflect this. It builds up and then goes back down and into a minus figure. Then the dash says something like ‘Handbrake incorrect operation’ but the handbrake is on. When I scan the module, the only fault I’m getting is c1a00-4b, which from what I’ve read, is usually from over heating, but mine isn’t over heating!

Im currently awaiting delivery of a larger Jack, so I can get the back end up and the wheels off to see what’s going on. But just wondered if it’s a process that I’m doing wrong etc or if anybody has any clues to why is gone mental??

Thanks for reading my essay Laughing

Post #220142512th Jan 2021 4:35 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2201442.html#2201442

Try this. May help.
 PAGODA  
Post #220144312th Jan 2021 5:56 pm
ChrisoOo

I’d literally just watched that! Probably the best video on the epb to be honest. I think I’ll just have to strip it down and see what’s going on in there, I don’t really want to but there’s no other way really! I wonder if I could do it, without taking the whole module out....?

Post #220147512th Jan 2021 7:06 pm
pagoda

It's excellent - wonder if a mod could make it a sticky as it's the best I've seen or if it could be added to the same thread as the Bible.
 PAGODA  
Post #220149812th Jan 2021 8:21 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-repairunjam-relatch-91299.html

Post #220150412th Jan 2021 8:35 pm
pagoda

Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #220150912th Jan 2021 8:44 pm
ChrisoOo

So, the EPB threw a curve ball at me this afternoon. I was out fitting a new rf receiver for the key fob - which now works great Laughing and the parking brake now works-ish! The shoes absolutely need adjusting, because when the brake releases, they stay on a little bit. But the module operates as you’d expect, it’s so strange! Noise wise, it’s not silent, but it doesn’t grind or squeal. It sounds like a motor type noise and then a little squeak, I presume it’s not totally normal, but I’ll take it! I’ll post back when shoes are done

Post #220190113th Jan 2021 10:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >