DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear end listing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ajmacfarlane

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Rear end listing

Hi All,

I’ve been trawling through the search for ideas but before I do the usual and start swapping out parts could I have some thoughts/advice please.

I’ve noticed this last week that the back end of the D3 is leaning. The rear passenger side is measuring approx. 500mm from hub centre to the arch, but the rear divers is measuring approx 470mm. The measurements at the front are fine and don’t seem to move.

I have recalibrated with IID and hoped it just needed this, but this evening (about 5hours later) the difference in measurement is back. I have checked tyre pressures which are even.

The drive is on a slight slope but that’s front to back rather than left to right.

Could this be ride height sensors requiring replacement? Or rear valve block perhaps? I can’t hear any hissing and have no warmings or fault codes stored for suspension ( yet!)

This difference seems to be out of the tolerance limit and it isn’t that it’s just sinking one one side, but also raising on the other.

Please could I have some thoughts or reassurance ideally!

Thanks in advance

Post #221019112th Feb 2021 10:00 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What i would do first is this: when you start your engine... close the door and what happens then?
Second .. what happens when you park is on a 100% flat.. surface....

Depending on the outcome of both of those trails, it is better to make conclusions, otherwise.. not imho..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #221019912th Feb 2021 10:16 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I had this with my D3. For no reason it suddenly acquired a list to the passenger side. It's wasn't a leak, it wasn't height sensors as i changed them, it wasn't the reservoir or rear valve block as I had them out & stripped them. I could set the car back to level with the IID but within the same day it would start to list again. I had it back to the LR dealer & they reset it with their tools, kept it overnight to ensure it was good & I didn't have the problem again for a couple of years. Then it reappeared, this time I took it to a indie & he also found the calibration on his equipment didn't read right, we ended up bending the arm on the height sensor fixing point to bring it less than 10mm from where it should be. this then solved the problem for the rest of my ownership.

https://www.disco4.com/forum/air-suspensio...60151.html

Not sure this helps much, but a trouble shared......

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #221021112th Feb 2021 10:31 pm
ajmacfarlane

Motolab wrote:
What i would do first is this: when you start your engine... close the door and what happens then?
Second .. what happens when you park is on a 100% flat.. surface....

Depending on the outcome of both of those trails, it is better to make conclusions, otherwise.. not imho..

Hi there Motolab,

I’ll try find somewhere flat over the weekend but on point 1 when the car is started it raises and levels itself all round.

Post #221021712th Feb 2021 10:42 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

There is the key difference with my issue. Mine would stay wonky when started & driven

If it drops when switched off it's either the self levelling kicking in or there is a leak, pull the suspension fuse overnight & see what happens. if it drops it's likely to be a leak.

Post #221022112th Feb 2021 10:48 pm
ajmacfarlane

Hi Skagg,

Thanks for the message. I found your thread as part of my search earlier and wow I feel for you as your situation would have done my head in too!!

I’ll see what happens over night tonight and is it’s on the Censored again I’ll try pulling the fuse.

Post #221022212th Feb 2021 10:52 pm
ajmacfarlane

Good morning All,

So a quick update.

I don’t currently have any fault codes or warnings valour slow to raise. When starting the car all corners raise and lower and set themselves level.

I re-calibrated all 4 corners on a level surface and pulled fuse 26 over night.

Unfortunately the rear driver side corner has sunk by approx 3cm over night. The rear passenger side has stayed up and somehow appears to have gone up 1.5cm since calibrating, presumably before I pulled the fuse.

I can’t hear any obvious leaks and have tied some soapy water which didn’t show anything obvious.

So my question is...
Does anyone have any wise insights as to whether this is a valve block (although from what I’ve seen I think valve block issues would cause the rear as a whole to sink?) or am I looking at a pin hole leak in a line/air bag?

Suggestions/thoughts appreciated and general ideas on where to look next. I’m trying to eliminate replacing parts unnecessarily.

Currently the car does level itself when stated up and I don’t have any errors yet but id like to catch and fix the issue before it deteriorates if possible.

Thanks

Post #221082115th Feb 2021 9:24 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would say you have a leak in the rear strut, it can be hard to find as the rubber you see at the bottom is just a dust guard.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #221082415th Feb 2021 9:37 am
Skagg

If it's dropping with the fuse pulled there must be a leak. I'd think the opposite side raising slightly is probably a cantilever effect of the other side dropping.

Gas leak detection or soapy water over the line to the offending corner from the valve block would be my suggestion, then if you can't find anything the probability would point to the bag in the strut itself.

Post #221102515th Feb 2021 8:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >