Engine Noise (Rattling) and almost dead under 1500 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndreasG

Cyprus 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Engine Noise (Rattling) and almost dead under 1500 rpm

Good morning everyone,

D3, 2.7TDV6, 2006 HSE

Just came back from a road trip of around 450km (280miles) on mountainous roads in Cyprus. The car (as all the times I have driven on mountains) in sport mode feels dead below 1500-1800rpm and is late in downshifting when exiting the corners, but after 1800rpm feels fine and not lacking in power or pull. I use command shift when driving in said roads to avoid that and seems ok. Not quite sure if this is how it’s supposed to be or if there is something I should look into?

Also when I started the car up early in the morning on day 2, (around +8 deg. C) there was some noise from the engine that did not seem quite right (video with bonnet open). After a couple of km’s all was well.
https://youtube.com/shorts/7ww1qsYsYZA?feature=share

On this note, the car usually sounds like in the second video (taken at a stop on normal running temp after running for some time). There’s some knocking, more like a rattling sound heard from somewhere. This increases with revving and the car has been like this ever since I bought it. Sounds to me like it’s the injectors but not quite sure. I was sure this is how the car sounded since I got no faults or power loss up until Saturday when I heard a RRS with the same engine sounding very smooth. I have also attached a screenshot of the last reading of the injectors I got some time ago using my GAP IID Tool.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EgvhfO9y990?feature=share

Does this seem normal to the more experienced of you or is there something I should start looking into?

Vehicle has had both timing belts and oil pump work done as well as serviced before the trip. EGR’s were blanked by the previous owner. No warning lights and seems like its driving normal. Latest MPG’s I have been getting are around 21-22 (commuting) and around 23-24 on the motorway without any load.

Any ideas or areas I should be investigating?

TIA

Discovery 3, TDV6, HSE, 2006
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #227878114th Feb 2022 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >