Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 20 <123 ... 91011 ... 181920>
DaveDisco3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You are from Rutland I see! Surprised I haven't passed you 1,000,000 times!!!!

Post #129784613th Jun 2014 8:33 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just wanted to say thanks to Gareth - used this tip for my D3 and now D4 Smile
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #13070145th Jul 2014 6:24 am
Mies

Netherlands 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Holiday in Italy, car parked on sife of a road, right front lower than the rest. Sunroof slighly open to drain the heat. Unexpected downpour. Left side front footwell abolutely full off water the next day. Never had that.

Tried all the simple solutions from this thread like pushing wire through...no result. Took out the air intake vent and saw that the opening was slightly dripping.

Used a syringe i normaly use to emty the bucketseat of my race car (drilling a hole would void the fia-approved mark). Used that to suck the water out and that worked perfectly. Lots of stuff came out but now it really drains again.

Thanks all for the tips and tricks on here. Has saved me a, probably expensive, trip to the dealer.

Mies

Post #13071805th Jul 2014 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Finally had a look at ours tonight. For ages we've been getting water dripping from the lower part of the driver side a-pillar, down the side of the dash and into the footwell carpet.

I used the curtain wire approach and discovered that of the four drains, only the front passenger side was blocked. It's now clear and draining fine from all four points but I won't know if that has cured our problem until the next downpour. Next thing to try is replacement exterior a-pillar trims.
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #13092719th Jul 2014 10:45 pm
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Surprise, surprise - even though I've unblocked the passenger side A-pillar tube the leak is still there. Sad

Dropped the front headlining yesterday and spent ages with MrsWizbongre hozing down the outside of the drivers side, trying to see where the water was coming in. Of course, a little drizzle and water drops - a torrent of water from a hosepipe and nothing. The drain tube looks fine and nothing seems to be getting in from the a-pillars.

Decided to try the passenger side and discovered the water is running across the front of the headlining and then dripping on the drivers side. So dropped the passenger side headlining to poke around. Again, no obvious issues and took ages to find where the water was coming in.

Eventually discovered the water appears to be coming in from the top of the windscreen itself. There must be a problem either with the bonding of the windscreen to the car or with the outer seal that runs across the top of the screen.

Now need to figure out what and how I sort it out...
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #131685228th Jul 2014 10:33 am
Thotfulspot

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

When this happen does any part of the interior get wet. I've got water filling the the trough with the wiring along the rear door. I can't find any water on any of the pillars or the headliner. We spent some time with a hose and couldn't find anything coming in.

Post #132507715th Aug 2014 1:56 am
Gargamel

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

During one of the huge rain showers we had in Holland last Friday, i noticed a drop of water on the SRS badges.
When checking found the carpet to be a bit moist, not soaked fortunately.
This morning however everything was dry again, even though it rained steadilly all night.
So looks like during heavy rain the drains cannot cope with the water collecting from the sunroof... Drain tube check time !!

All flowed, except the one on the front right hand side being blocked; i applied some pressure using a small tube and a laboratory washing bottle.
It now runs; but not as good as the left hand side.

Follwing the info above, i decided to check behind the air intake, but there is no drain tube on the place indicated on the pictures. Also the foam insert is not there. Shocked
As it does flow slowly; i see the water dripping from behind the wheel arch lining (same point as on left hand side.)

The car is a MY 2009 (march-09) D3, is anybody aware of LR re-locating the drain tubes end on the last D3 series ???

Rgds, Gerrit

Post #132869723rd Aug 2014 4:38 pm
Thotfulspot

It turns out my wife left the sunroof tilted up all night and it rained. She got as much as she could get out of the channels behind the front seats. I put a humidifier in and let it run for a couple days and pulled about 3 liters out.

Since it was completely dry, i left it out in the rain (monsoon season, some rain every day) with the sunroof taped so nothing could come in that way. The front passenger was a little damp. And it seemed to be coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Under to cabin filter. I'm going to have to pull the filter out to see if it is damp.

Any ideas where it could be coming from? We don't get much moisture when running the AC. We only have humidities in the 20s.

Post #132874023rd Aug 2014 7:04 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

^ could be a few places but this thread is a good read with a few suggestions ...

Also the 'A ' pillar has a few holes and sponges that have been updated by Land Rover with silicone patches to seal the holes and the kit is less than £13 new ...

It makes sense to do all the checks and it should sort it .... Thumbs Up
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #132874423rd Aug 2014 7:14 pm
Thotfulspot

That's next on my list. The cowl isn't warped. The rear door on the other side could use new weatherstripping. That wouldn't explain only the front getting it. We did have torrential downpours earlier this week. We don't get a couple inches of rain in less than a hour. Looks like some quality time with a hose.

Post #132884124th Aug 2014 12:09 am
Thotfulspot

Does anyone know the part number for the outside A-Pillar kit?

Post #134291017th Sep 2014 8:35 pm
Thotfulspot

Bobs wrote:
^ could be a few places but this thread is a good read with a few suggestions ...

Also the 'A ' pillar has a few holes and sponges that have been updated by Land Rover with silicone patches to seal the holes and the kit is less than £13 new ...

It makes sense to do all the checks and it should sort it .... Thumbs Up

Does anyone know the part number for the A-Pillar kit. I mention it and I get a lot of blank stares.

Post #136224722nd Oct 2014 1:10 am
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3
I know late response but...

HB500400 - A PILLAR FIXING KIT DISCO 3 If you haven't got the part yet. Smile
 Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #138727911th Dec 2014 6:52 am
GTIR250

England 

Anyone tried unblocking with Mr Muscle
??

Post #14370334th Mar 2015 10:49 am
nujjer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fixed

Long story, blah, blah. Lots of reading and writing on this ace forum, blah, blah.
Took the car to local fixer (AL services in Poole, who are fab) and he replaced both front drain pipes with an alternate 'harder' pipe. Five quid each and an hour-ish of labour.

Sorted.

[I actually took the car in to have Fruit Machine suspension lights sorted (other threads) and asked him to do the pipes while he was at it]

Post #146314124th Apr 2015 10:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 20 <123 ... 91011 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >