Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 20 <123 4 ... 181920>
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine was soaking wet too. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but the metal in that area is all aluminium from what I could see. Is rust an issue?
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #49921723rd Jul 2009 9:26 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Looks I'll be doing this at the weekend (or as soon as it stops raining) Rolling Eyes

I was going to just attach an air line to the hole at the sunroof. will this work or is it likely to blow a connection off somewhere ?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5036034th Aug 2009 11:32 am
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dunc,

Might work so long as blockage is not too solid. Hoses are friction fitted to the sunroof outlet, so no clips holding them in place. They're a firm fit, but not so firm thet won't move under pressure.

If you give it a go, what's the worst that can happen? You have to drop the headlining to clear the blockage and re-fit the tubes?

Good luck Thumbs Up
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #5050167th Aug 2009 9:57 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

tried to clean tubes in the week. But they werent blocked Confused

so, no idea where the water on the a pillar trim ws coming from. I had a hose pipe running over it and the pressure washer but no leak...

Maybe it came in from the raised air intake when i was opening the door.

How do you get to the rear drain point with a Front Runner rack fitted.... I can just about get to the front..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5050408th Aug 2009 5:32 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys, the best thing I found recently is using NET CURTAIN WIRE, the spring type stuff thats coated in white plastic. Buy 2mtrs of it and its just slightly a smaller diameter than the drain tubes, fully flexible and WILL fully clear the blockage, or the exit point as the moisture then summer heat seems to stick close the exit point.

Try it, it will cost pennies and it will work. Like you i had trouble locating the rear drain tubes with the Expo fitted, but the wire found the hole and a good rodding ensued Thumbs Up

Jason

Post #5050988th Aug 2009 1:10 pm
pirecrompir

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Hi guys, the best thing I found recently is using NET CURTAIN WIRE, the spring type stuff thats coated in white plastic. Buy 2mtrs of it and its just slightly a smaller diameter than the drain tubes, ...

Could you please tell me what is the outer diameter of the coated net curtain wire you used?

Thanks!

Post #52057915th Sep 2009 11:16 pm
puffsorted

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Both my fronts were blocked, water coming from the front of the interior lights in the rain. Just cleared them with a length of speaker cable but split down to a single core

Post #5320719th Oct 2009 1:31 pm
Dan A

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Cheers Gareth I have just managed to unblock both the front drain tubes, after it started raining in yesterday.
Cheers for the instructions Thumbs Up

Post #53985525th Oct 2009 3:34 pm
pete571

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have the sunroof open often debri can collect and block from the top and usually blocks the front tubes first - I used to leave mine just open but leaves etc built up.
Blocking from the bottom of the front tubes is common and as shown here these can be blown through - I use a hose pipe connected to the top of the tube. Must block from road dirt too.
IF YOU DONT CHECK THE DRAINS THERE ARE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES!!!!
Mine did not show the leak through the light at first and after a few weeks the footwells were flooded out - then CD player got water in too.
£2K later and days dehummiding - LR fault and it still exists on the LR 4/RR sport sunroofs - so check if youre buying one with a S/Roof and keep clean!

Post #5482469th Nov 2009 10:08 am
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to bring the thread up again

My N/S footwell is filling with water and i have checked the tubes but they are not blocked

I have removed the tube now as i dont think it was connected and was filling the footwell instead

If I remove the N/S wing & arch liner can i see where the drain tube exits the car? I have had a look behind the glove box but cant see where the tube exits due to the fusebox and heater box

I am going to extend the pipe so it goes outside and doesnt slip back through into the footwell again

Post #55187216th Nov 2009 1:25 pm
milbo

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mine had become detatched above the fuse box, looks like someone in the past had been doing some wiring and dislodged it. I removed the 2 nuts holding the fuse box and pulled it out slightly then a mate with small hands was able to trace where it went through the wing and pushed the pipe back into the tube that exits the wing. I also removed the inner arch but it was still difficult to see where it exits under the wing as it is set back in a box section. If you put your arm up to the at the rear of the wing you will be able to feel just the small rubber x shaped part but it is set into a recessed part. You could use a small mirror on a stick. This seems to have cured my leak.
keith

Post #55201016th Nov 2009 5:42 pm
kaiser

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Not covered by warranty?

Hello all - I have a full approved LR Warranty for my 2006 D3 TDV6 HSE, however the stealer informs me that the leak in my sunroof (through the front seats overhead light unit) is not covered. This sounds like a design fault which should surely be covered by warranty rather than a cracked window or other fault that I would consider not to be covered.

Can someone please help? I am a tech spazz so don't want to go about removing headlinings etc...

Many thanks! Embarassed
 2006MY Buck Blue HSE with Alpaca & Wood
Steel side tubes/steps
Black & Silver LR badge upgrade
Chrome bits on front/side/back!

B A S INTERFACE - Torquey 'tastic

Also a funky Red 2005 Mini Cooper S with Union Jack Roof (My Wife's - Honest!) 

Post #55837930th Nov 2009 10:46 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Milbo - that's great information. Didn't know there was a join there. For anyone thinking about blowing out the tubes with compressed air I wouldn't - you could dislodge it at the bulkhead end and not see, and the water would all drain over the fuse box Exclamation

Post #5587201st Dec 2009 5:45 pm
maxmax

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Leaking discovery 3 sunroof drains blocked - update

Thanks for the great post, particularly useful knowing where the drain holes are (red arrows on pictures).

After clearing the pipes I did the cup test, but was surprised at how slowly the water dribbled away (250ml three minutes). I thought maybe I hadn't pumped enough so I got the electric tyre inflator out and went for it, but it could only reach 0.40 bar, presumably the air just whistles down the pipe which is still partially blocked.

So a little head scratching and I modified the technique a little and taking a leaf from the book of the people who clear drains. I attached a length of clear tube to the football pump blowing up tool and sealant bung (all as per pictures in previous post). I then attached my Camel Pak (three litre drinking bag) to the clear tube and blasted water down the hole by squeezing the bag.

Bingo, 250ml of water drained away in about half the time. My only concern was if there was a join in the pipe and the pressure would blow it apart. So far no adverse news to report on that front!

Next time (I am sure they will block again) I will use my friend's suggestion and poke a length of wire down the hole to see how that works.

Post #6128832nd Mar 2010 9:07 am
disco3cb

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thanks, just got back from a Bush trip where we had some downpours, only to find about 5 litres of water in the foot-well on the drivers side, and water dripping from the A Pillar. Taped off the sunroof as this seemed to be the obvious leak point, and spent 3 days drying out the carpet.

Thanks for the tips, I will be clearing the drain pipe and checking/converting the Valve end tomorrow.
 Disco4 SDV6 HSE 2013, Faultmate MVS2.   
Post #63609214th Apr 2010 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 20 <123 4 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >