Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>
Mr D

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

Just to confirm. I had used the flexible curtain netting wire to clean out the left and right drain tubes on the sunroof, but I definetly got a block at the valve ends.

On the right, I can remove that air vent (intake) and I will find the outlet valve there and On the left, I need to remove the entire wheel arch lining and mudflap.

Question, once I get to the valve ends do I cut the x shaped ends for better flow?

Please and someone confirm as I am going to undertake this operation this weekend.

Rgds
D Very Happy

Post #63834119th Apr 2010 7:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think that is correct, I'm not sure why they put those stupid rubber ends on the pipes, they always clog up.

Post #63837419th Apr 2010 8:29 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did mine on both sides, obviously the one behind the wing vent is easy to get to, but the otherside is a bit if a tight squeeze as its in an indentical place, and without the vent. So you need to remove the inner wing and reach up.

Be careful not to apply inward pressure as you open up the drain tube valve, or it will fall inside and its then you have a few issues.

I used the wire curtain method, and indeed removed alot of cack in the tubes, I tested them by gently pouring water in the tray and although draining on the passenger side (the side with no vent), not as quick as the side I had already cut open the valve behind air vent.

As mention, aint a clue why the valves are there, and are such an easy blockage point.

Post #63837819th Apr 2010 8:34 pm
Mr D

Thanks, will let you know the outcome this weekend
Cheers
D Thumbs Up

Post #63852420th Apr 2010 3:48 am
disco3cb

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I used a piece of fishtank air hose, 6mm outer diameter about 40 cm long, and a sports drinking bottle filled with water to clear the passanger drain pipe.
The fishtank air hose is a perfect fit when pushed down the sunroof drain tube, just open the sunroof and push the tube into the drainhole from under the wind-deflector in the front corner.
Air tube also fits perfectly into the sports drinking bottle.
Just give the bottle a few squezes, and bingo the water starts flowing.
I will be using this method on a regular basis to ensure the tubes stay clear.
 Disco4 SDV6 HSE 2013, Faultmate MVS2.   
Post #63888920th Apr 2010 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr D

I think that my rubber ends are clogged as the water is draining out very very slowly.
Can I cut the rubber ends or will this cause any problems

Thanks
Mr D

Post #63923221st Apr 2010 5:22 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, I would cut them wider, if water is trickling through I would hazard a guess that the valve at the bottom is partially sealed with cack.

Post #63926521st Apr 2010 6:03 pm
disco3cb

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Agreed, definately cut the rubber X. I used a pair of side cutters and cut the X diagonaly and vertically, causing it to feather out.
The drivers side is a breeze to get to, but the passenger side is a lot more tricky.
I cut the drivers side X, and just flushed the passengers side which had no flow before I started, but has a reasonable flow after flushing.
 Disco4 SDV6 HSE 2013, Faultmate MVS2.   
Post #63928721st Apr 2010 6:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
baronsix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Huge amount of water in passenger footwell

Torrential rain yesterday, opened passenger door this morning and water flowed out, seemed at least half a litre. Had a look at the drainage points but didnt seem blocked near the top. Not sure I fancy trying to remove the inside of the wheel arches to check the bottom for blockage. Thankfully no water ion headlining yet.

Post #6442733rd May 2010 5:37 pm
dantheman1

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

My Disco has the same problem. After I pulled out the side vent, I noticed my tube ending was already cut. There was some mud in there from my last outing but it was relatively fine. Poured my water down the sunroof drains, still leaking from a-pillar. Pulled down the headliner via instructions here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.h...oof+drains, and was able to get to pull off the tip of the drain tube and blow through. There was no restrictions at all. Then poured more water down the sunroof drain and realized that the ends of the sunroof rails weren't capped or blocked off at all. Water was flowing straight into the headliner and onto a metal pipe. The metal pipe right in front of the roof rail was severely rusted so it had to have been leaking for a long time. Not quite sure if there's supposed to a cap or not, but it looks like its time to bring it to the dealer. Y'all have any suggestions before i take the $$$ plunge? (In the picture, the pipe perpendicular to the drain tube looks like rubber, but in mine, it's metal and its rusted right in front of the red circle.)
Click image to enlarge

Post #65081219th May 2010 9:35 am
dantheman1

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Quick update, it seems i've been pouring water into the wrong location. Instead of pouring it on the outside of the sunroof rails, I've been pouring it into the rails themselves. This leads water straight into the headliner and down the a-pillar. When I poured water down the outside of the sunroof rails, it flows down the tube and out of the side vent pretty quickly without leaking in the interior. I'm guessing the tube end in the side vent was clogged with mud causing the water to take a detour onto the sunroof rails and enter the headliner area. As much as I love the disco, sometime I wish LR would've paid the engineers a little extra to avoid problems like these. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to take apart the LR's interior. Cheers Y'all!

Post #65084219th May 2010 10:29 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Slow day today so pushed the old net curtain wire down the drains; somehow it seems to be at its worst in the summer. Never did get around to attacking the 'valve' end though.

Post #68496622nd Aug 2010 7:09 pm
Bigdog

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Well after the rain, guess what water in the car.
Today i spent several hours, taking trim off, blowing through pipes and feeling behind pannels, but i think ive sorted it. Anyone whos about to attempt this its not an easy job the drivers side was a doddle once the air vent was removed, but the passenger side is a real nightmare . Taking the wheel arch cover off was a night mare, all those clips and eventually reaching up inside the wing and feeling for the pipe. But i managed to reach up and using a stanley knife i cut the end of the pipe. Lets hope i dont have to do it again.
I was unable to get all of the trim off, the section near the front would not come off. Any ideas i took all the plastic clips and the screws out but it would not shift,i was afraid to pull too hard in case i broke the plactin wheel arch.
cheers happy fiddling......... Idea

Post #68677827th Aug 2010 7:55 pm
Martrum

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So I have water in the drivers foot well after all the rain this week.

I have followed the tips on this thread and correctly identified the drivers side tube above the headlining. I have found the star shaped valve behind the air intake and cleaned it.

BUT - when I pour water into the tube it doesn't come out of the valve but ends up in the foot well !

EEK ! Big Cry

How do I find where this tube is connected to the other end of the star shaped valve ? I can only assume it has come off !!

HELP !!!

Post #68701428th Aug 2010 4:09 pm
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Having cut off the easily accessibly RH valve in 2007, have just done the LH one.

As Macleod 313 said, it's in the mirror image position of the RH valve and bl**dy awkyard to get at. Pull down the wheel arch liner and put your hand up inside the wing.

I used a pair of small nail scissors to cut the end off the valve. I then had to drop the headlining to get at the other tube end. It wouldn't blow through - obviously heavily gunged up. Couple of pumps with a bicycle pump had it clear and draining water happily.

Given how much pressure was required to shift the blockage with the valve end cut off, I wouldn't recommend just blowing / pumping with the valve end intact - just in case the pipe splits or gives at some other point rather than clearing the blockage!

Have fun Thumbs Up
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #69568522nd Sep 2010 7:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >