Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 20 <123 ... 678 ... 181920>
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Struggling with the sunroof drains, I fixed the problem on drivers side (I have a left hand drive). During rodding of the drain, the elbow dislocated and all the trapped water came out in the footwell. It was relatively easy to access the drain elbow, located left of the brake pedal and the cable bundle as shown in the enclosed pictures. Removed the panel above the pedals and disconnected the light cable. Pulled out the elbow and cut of the outer part, and fitted it in place again. In the second picture you can see the hole where the elbow/valve was sitting.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Right hand side is worse though, not able to remove the grille for the air intake....any tips/trick to do this without damaging the grille will be much appreciated. Whistle

Best regards, Geir

Post #9527829th Jul 2012 11:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Markmein

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Just picked my my new 05 plate D3 and discovered the Landrover pond in the foot wells, used the curtain wire to clear the drains and then vacuumed about 1.5ltr of water from under the carpets, now onto day 2 with the dehumidifier about another half ltr of water out so far....

Post #9632306th Aug 2012 10:33 pm
kevinreeves

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

geirstein wrote:
Struggling with the sunroof drains, I fixed the problem on drivers side (I have a left hand drive). During rodding of the drain, the elbow dislocated and all the trapped water came out in the footwell. It was relatively easy to access the drain elbow, located left of the brake pedal and the cable bundle as shown in the enclosed pictures. Removed the panel above the pedals and disconnected the light cable. Pulled out the elbow and cut of the outer part, and fitted it in place again. In the second picture you can see the hole where the elbow/valve was sitting.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Right hand side is worse though, not able to remove the grille for the air intake....any tips/trick to do this without damaging the grille will be much appreciated. Whistle

Best regards, Geir

Hi You have to lift the grille as far up as possible and then pull the bottom out toward you first, there is two lugs top and bottom, watch out they are brittle! as i found out Crying or Very sad

Post #9632336th Aug 2012 10:53 pm
gerrypb

United Kingdom 

Apart from all the above tips is it worth a smear of either vaseline or silicone grease on the rubber to help it seal to the glass?

Post #100987427th Nov 2012 12:19 pm
kevinreeves

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If i was to purchase a new sunroof would this improve the amount of water being able to ingress the car anyway? i think the rubber seal around my glass must be worn as i get a lot of water in the tray almost every time it rains! most of it does go down the drain holes since clearing them however starting to get water in the car again after a short while? thanks

Post #100990427th Nov 2012 1:24 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi all, just inputting my 2p's worth into this.

After 5 years of trying to find a water leak from the roof area it's finally fixed.

The water was coming in around the middle row grab handles so this eliminated the sunroof, I also clean the sunroof drain pipes on a 6 month basis, after running tests on the roof rail tracks and rear quarter glass panels, this could only leave the fixed glass panel on the roof.

So a trip to halfords and a tin of sprayable wax oil later, I sprayed all around the fixed glass roof and now it has stopped leaking. Very Happy

I can only assume that the seal between the glass roof and the metal roof has come away in one area.

Lee

Post #102581629th Dec 2012 1:38 pm
rover80

Scotland 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackLR3

I have a left hand drive too, just looked under the dash near the pedals and I can see the hose just dangling, I can't see where it fits in the bodywork so it is just free flowing into the car, any ideas how to find it, also by the look of it the rubber has perished where the X is so that must be why it fell out. Just need help to find the whole it goes to.
Cheers

Post #104412228th Jan 2013 4:40 pm
steve223

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

I'm having the same problem and will fix the blockages as suggested on AULRO

Quote:
Firstly get yourselves 8 or 10mm plastic irrigation pipe union or something similar.

On your a pillar lift the air bag plastic off and unscrew the torx screw, take off the cover.
Take a stanley knife and cut the rubber pipe anywhere.
Blow up with the sunroof open and you will see plenty dust and leaves fly out.

But just realized I have a lot of water under the carpet and the wires basically swim in it any suggestions
how to get the water out there and the area dry again?

Post #104448128th Jan 2013 10:55 pm
steve223

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

Just before the next rain comes I just managed to blow trough the hoses with a airbed pump and fix the joiner (they do not have barbed joiners anymore just the hose joiners so hope that holds.

Click image to enlarge

Also removed the air intake and it seems like drain hose is quite long and there is the possibility to go in air intake (would think I want to avoid this?)

Under the passenger floor the carpet and foam is soaking wet just wondering how you guys dealt with drying it?
Can I remove the carpet from the passenger side?

Cheers from Sydney

Steve

Post #104451229th Jan 2013 1:55 am
rover80

Scotland 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackLR3

Does anyone know a part number for the elbow, looks like mine perished and that why its leaking, cheers

Post #104451629th Jan 2013 4:07 am
Tim_A

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

post deleted - started new thread Wink

Post #10841026th Apr 2013 10:36 am
espo

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So far I have had no leak troubles with my sunroof on my 2005 plate which I bought Nov 2012. But assume it will occure sooner or later. I haven`t opened it yet, but have been looking at pictures posted here. I can`t see why a restriction with a valve is neccesary at the end of the drain tubes? Has anybody tried to replace the elbow at the end in the foot well with some sort of open, "free-floating" one? I assume it would be easy to find an alternative one and modify it??
 2005 Disco3 HSE PP Zambesi Silver
Norwegian lrforum member 

Post #10854159th Apr 2013 8:09 am
AVC

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have taken the wheel arch of and found the en of the sunroof drain pipe and the part where the x shape on the end is off. What is the best way to fix this pipe and then I have came across another smaller pipe in front of the passenger side which I feel is also coming out - can somebody tell me what this is for. The front of my passenger side was totally flouded after the last rains we had. All the wiring were emerged under water and the carpets were soggy wet. The fuse box were also damped. 2005 Disco 3

Thanx
Abraham

Post #11275966th Jul 2013 11:01 am
AVC

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Ignore previous post - have found the leak - elbow going through body off....... that I can fix Still trying to find out what the little black pipe is for in the wheel arch (left wheel arch). When pulling it - it keeps on coming out. But be sure I'll find out what it is for. If I can get a hind - it will help a lot.

Abraham

Post #11275996th Jul 2013 11:19 am
Autoquick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
That small bore black pipe

Hi avc the small bore pipe which goes in and out is the battery breather pipe

Cheers jon

Post #115902017th Sep 2013 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 20 <123 ... 678 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >