Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How to - Rear discs/pads and EPB adjust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
How to - Rear discs/pads and EPB adjust

Now, the pictures arent the greatest, but i will try and get better ones next time Whistle

A how to guide to replace rear discs and pads. Also, if your handbrake shoes/EPB is squealing, or needing adjusted, this is covered while the discs are off

If you are in any doubt, do not attempt this job. The last thing you want is brake failure when trying to stop a 3 ton car from 70mph... I, and Disco3.co.uk accept no responsibilty if you break something, or f*** it up royally. Again, if you are not 100% confident and sure about brakes, please do not attempt this

Tools you will need are:
Sturdy jack and axle stand
13mm spanner or ratchet and socket
15mm open end spanner
15mm double hex socket and ratchet
Torque wrench or breaker bar
Medium flat blade screwdriver
Brake pad spreader or large pipe grips
Wire brush and file

Start by jacking the car up and secure on axle stand and removing the wheel. Make sure the EPB is disengaged, and the vehicle is left in gear/park. Either leave the key in the ignition, or hold the EPB button down while taking the key out the ignition

Remove both 13mm bolts (circled) using the 15mm spanner to hold the slide pin, holding the caliper on
Click image to enlarge

Remove brake pads from carrier, and undo both 15 mm bolts (pictured)
Click image to enlarge

Next, remove the small black plastic dust cover from the front of the disc. It will be necessary to rotate the disc to locate the EPB shoe adjuster. On the N/S, it is at the bottom of the hub, and the O/S is at the top of the hub. Shine a torch through the hole and turn disc until you should see the adjuster. Sorry for the quality of this one...
Click image to enlarge

Using the flat screwdriver, lever the teeth of the adjuster round until the shoes have retracted fully, and there are no threads visible. There is a better pic here with the disc off
Click image to enlarge

Anyway, once the adjuster has been backed off fully, remove the Torx 50 screw holding the disc on. If the disc is to be re-used, a soft mallet may be needed to free the disc off the hub, and remove disc.

This step isnt always necessary, but i always do it. A squealing at low speed from the rear brakes is caused by the EPB shoes rubbing against the 3 raised points on the backplate. To cure this, apply some copper grease between the shoes and backplate. You will need to lever the shoes gently off the backplate to get the grease inbetween them. I use a failry large flat screwdriver to lever, and a medium one to get the grease in. If you get any grease on the friction surfaces, wipe clear before proceding
Click image to enlarge

Thats only one picture, but you get the idea hopefully

Refit brake disc and tighten up the T50 screw. Find the adjuster again, and tighten it all the way up until the discs locks up solid. Now, back the adjuster off between 8-12 "clicks" or until the disc rotates freely, with no binding. It may take a few attempts to get this right...

Find the carrier bracket you removed earlier, and remove the metal shims. Wire brush the worst of the build up of rust off, and file off the rest of the build up of crud. If you bought genuine pads, you will get new shims. If not, you will have to clean up the old ones.
Refit said carrier, and torque to correct spec (or FT) and fit shims. Try sliding the pads in the carrier before greasing. If they are tight, remove the shims and clean up shims and/or carrier as necessary. There will be some resistance, but as long as they move relatively freely, they should be fine. When you are happy, remove pads and apply copper grease
Click image to enlarge

Push caliper piston back fully, and refit caliper. Fit new 13mm bolts into caliper and torque to spec. Refit wheel.

Repeat for other side. Job done

Before you start the vehicle, make sure the brake pedal has been depressed several times until the pedal goes hard. Remember to brake gently for this first 250-500 miles until the pads have bedded in fully

Hopefully iv not forgot anything, but if I have, I will edit the post to include anything else i feel necessary

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 8th Nov 2009 10:21 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #34938824th Sep 2008 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

First Class Mike Bow down

It's my next job when I get home.

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #34939624th Sep 2008 10:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That makes the instructions a lot easier Thumbs Up

Personally, I'd like to see the EPB service disengage mode & the Fuse removed, particularly on Manual as otherwise it could engage either with your finger in the way or just over extend & you have to start again.

The picture that shows the T50 bolts could be updated to describe it as T50 bolt as well as the list of tools required.
The Torque of the bolts also requires I think 275 which is more than most 'std' torque bars.

Also, if you have the bedding in procedure for the EPB as well included, that would complete the job.

When adjusting the EPB, the instructions say to tighten between 40 and 70lb and then do the adjustment?

Sorry, not a criticism, just comments on making it a little clearer Thumbs Up

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34941524th Sep 2008 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You say make sure the EPB is disengaged, I take it you must leave the key in at least the accessory position ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #34941624th Sep 2008 10:37 pm
Disco_Mikey

Bodsy wrote:
That makes the instructions a lot easier Thumbs Up

Personally, I'd like to see the EPB service disengage mode & the Fuse removed, particularly on Manual as otherwise it could engage either with your finger in the way or just over extend & you have to start again.

The picture that shows the T50 bolts could be updated to describe it as T50 bolt as well as the list of tools required.
The Torque of the bolts also requires I think 275 which is more than most 'std' torque bars.

Also, if you have the bedding in procedure for the EPB as well included, that would complete the job.

When adjusting the EPB, the instructions say to tighten between 40 and 70lb and then do the adjustment?

Sorry, not a criticism, just comments on making it a little clearer Thumbs Up

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

To activate the EPB bedding in procedure:
Start engine
Press brake pedal on and off fully 3 times, and hold down on the 3rd time
While holding down the brake pedal, pull the EPB upwards 4 times, and downwards 3 times.
This should activate EPB bedding in

Also, i could be wrong, but the 275NM is for the front carrier

40-70 lb-ft before adjusting? Never done it once, never had a problem Thumbs Up

shiny moose wrote:
You say make sure the EPB is disengaged, I take it you must leave the key in at least the accessory position ?

Either leave the key in the ignition, or hold the EPB button down while taking the key out the ignition, and remove the fuse Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 8th Nov 2009 10:19 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #34943924th Sep 2008 10:48 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers mate Rolling Eyes thats EPB servicing off the income list then Thud
but you forgot one step..... Whistle

Post #34947724th Sep 2008 11:21 pm
m5ccie

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Laughing

Post #34950125th Sep 2008 3:21 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Thanks for that Disco.Mickey, very good how to, just printed it off to go into my D3 file Thumbs Up

Cheers
Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #34953425th Sep 2008 10:07 am
Disco_Mikey

10forcash wrote:
Cheers mate Rolling Eyes thats EPB servicing off the income list then Thud
but you forgot one step..... Whistle

Whats that then?
Mount position? The 4mm allen screw thing?

Post #3535162nd Oct 2008 6:37 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Stripped and cleaned out the EPB shoe mechanism today, as it was full of mud and starting to squeal when I reversed. It's all back together now (after much effing and blinding Evil or Very Mad ) and the adjuster is wound back 8 clicks on each side. But, I've not done anything with the allen screw:

"8. CAUTION: The parking brake adjuster must be rotated back EXACTLY 8 clicks. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the parking brake system.

Rotate the adjuster back 8 clicks.

9. Loosen the wedge adjuster Allen screw half a turn.

10. Tap the brake disc lightly with a soft faced mallet, around the parking brake shoe location within the brake disc.

11. Tighten the wedge adjuster Allen screw to 6 Nm (5 lb.ft).
"

That's not mentioned in DiscoMikeys's post, and as I'm not fitting new shoes (just cleaning the old ones) I'm not sure if it's necessary. Also, if I'm not fitting new shoes do I need to do the bedding in procedure? The bedding in procedure outlined above doesn't seem complete - what needs to be done once it's in the bedding in mode Confused ?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #38802214th Dec 2008 3:46 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I did my rear brake discs / pads last week - I was going to change the EPB shoes but they were OK.

I cleaned out the EPB and reset the wedge adjuster as you described.

Once you've entered the bedding in procedure, the notes I had were dead simple (thanks to Bodsy Thumbs Up ) - drive up to approx 19mph, apply the EPB, wait one minute and repeat nine more times. I did that and, touch wood, had no problems including off road today at Bala.
 I see no ships........  
Post #38816914th Dec 2008 10:12 pm
ridgeback_moor

I took both wheels back off to do the allen screw thing, but due to the minimal shoe wear I don't think it made any difference. But i've not done the bed in thing - there used to be a detailed seciprion of it on here by TFC I'm sure , but I can't find it anywhere now.

So the EPB is applied whilst driving at 19 mph - for how long? And how is the bedding in mode cancelled - just turn off the ignition? Oh for a normal bloody handbrake Confused
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #38818514th Dec 2008 11:00 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EPB bedding cycle is has to be completed 10 times, drive the vehicle up to 29 mph and apply the park brake until the vehicle has completely stopped, ensure a sufficient cooling period between each operation, either 1 mile driving or 90 seconds (both from memory) between each bedding operation. Driving over 30 mph or cycling the ignition will cancel the bedding-in operation. The EPB bedding-in cycle will self cancel after ten successful operations

Post #38821115th Dec 2008 12:16 am
ridgeback_moor

Cheers 10 Thumbs Up
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #38824615th Dec 2008 9:33 am
bootneck

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Many thanks for this thread, did my disks and pads on Sunday no problem, well apart from my helper who sprayed brake cleaner on the new disk before fitting and promptly set it on fire with the heat from the inspection lamp.

Post #38841815th Dec 2008 5:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >