Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Just a word of Caution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Just a word of Caution

Sometime ago I removed the front bumper of my baby to make a template for the hidden winch bracket. Astonished I was when I found both front body mounts broken… Big Cry

LR replaced all 8 mount (not asking any questions) by splitting the chassis from the body – took the best part of 3 days but I am very happy, the handling is great and all front suspension noises (or what I thought were suspension noises) are gone…

Keep it in mind next time you remove the front bumper….

Post #36287521st Oct 2008 2:15 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Would there be another way to spot them, as my bumper is
an ARB, and a little on the heavy side Whistle
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #36287721st Oct 2008 2:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a knocking noise up front and especially when on dirt in off-road suspension - thought it was bushes. After driving in Heine's D3 this week-end realised there is definitely something wrong.

Off to Waterford tomorrow Exclamation
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #36289821st Oct 2008 3:57 pm
Atacama

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Deon

while you are there, cast an eye over mine. I have a feeling that I might fall into that vin number grouping to,but cannot check. Laughing . would be intresting to check the bushes .

Post #36293521st Oct 2008 5:11 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Discoeast wrote:
Would there be another way to spot them, as my bumper is
an ARB, and a little on the heavy side Whistle

If you take of the grill you can see themoff to the side. Right easily, left more difficult but you can feel with hand.

Just had ther front ARB bushes replaced stopped the rattle as well. Confused Handles like it should now. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36313822nd Oct 2008 2:11 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:

If you take of the grill you can see themoff to the side. Right easily, left more difficult but you can feel with hand.

Removed grill and looked (even with torch and small mirror) and felt around but cannot locate any of the mountings Big Cry

What are the chances that dealer will check them out for me at the next service Question

I was hoping that the fuel pump re-call is for real and then get them to check the mountings/bushes as well.
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #36378223rd Oct 2008 2:38 pm
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

TiaanS

I have had the rattles for some time now ... but not only on the front. On the Tankwa "eco-trail" (hate the word) it rattled so badly that I had to stop. Not on the gravel roads, present only bad tracks when moving beyond a slow crawl, mostly on offroad height. I thought I had rocks in the belly plate ... Now it does it when I drive down the ramp of my parking garage. Evil or Very Mad Raai wie bel ons nou?

Post #36687930th Oct 2008 1:57 pm
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hey Alwyn! Where have you been? You've been very quiet of late. Must be working hard Rolling with laughter
I could have used your creaky old D3 to rescue me from sliding off a cliff a few weeks back! Embarassed

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic25928.html

Post #36690430th Oct 2008 3:07 pm
AP Moller

Andrew, howzit,

Too much work and no playing around the site. Saw your report on how to recover/ panic with your baby, being pushed over the edge. Well done. It did remind me of misjudging distance in a rearview mirror ... Embarassed

Have been busy & no time for Rolling with laughter save for the Tankwa, some Jbay/ Cape St Francis, surfing and single malts, wine (auctions), functions, Censored and thinking on how to lure you onto the Cunene River Trail (= overgrown with trees) with your smooth skinned D3 pampered (scared of heights?) beauty. Laughing

I assume all well on the sedation and putting to sleep side of the world? Thumbs Up

Post #36691530th Oct 2008 3:31 pm
Andrew van den Heever

Ja no worries on the scanning, radiating, sound interrogating side of things. My puppies skin isn't so smooth anymore ( no thanks to your f Censored ken quad bike trail) but if you have a hair raising trip planned I could always go the VPS route, and then give full power to the 220kw baby! Laughing
Glad to know you have been hard at work shafting/fleecing/cross examining/busting/generally scaring the Censored out of people lately! Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #36692230th Oct 2008 3:47 pm
AP Moller

Andrew, I forget you radiate and fry people , not put them to sleep... Rolling with laughter

I also do the "fine print that no one can read or understand until its too late" - thing as well.

Are you thinking about the chip (Baben) thingy. Very sexy specs. .. 8) I should avoid driving one.

Post #36693430th Oct 2008 4:01 pm
caverD3

AP Moller wrote:
TiaanS

I have had the rattles for some time now ... but not only on the front. On the Tankwa "eco-trail" (hate the word) it rattled so badly that I had to stop. Not on the gravel roads, present only bad tracks when moving beyond a slow crawl, mostly on offroad height. I thought I had rocks in the belly plate ... Now it does it when I drive down the ramp of my parking garage. Evil or Very Mad Raai wie bel ons nou?

Could be: Lower control arm bushes, ball joints or ARB bushes.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36704630th Oct 2008 9:06 pm
Andrew van den Heever

Alwyn - didn't you notice the sweet V8 roar of my vehicle whilst we were embarrasing the Hummers?!? Can't chip the petrol unfortunately.
Rolling Eyes

Post #36723031st Oct 2008 8:47 am
AP Moller

Lower control arm bushes, ball joints

caverD3 Bow down

You were right: "Lower control arm bushes, ball joints" on the front suspension.
Exclamation Is this a known "issue"?
Question
Here in ZA the stuff must be "back ordered" out of UK

But at least it happened before te warranty went ...

Post #3686464th Nov 2008 8:33 am
caverD3

Very well known issue.
So much so that LR have produced a modified one which is being fitted to warranty claims in the UK.
See if they can get you these new arms.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3686544th Nov 2008 8:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >