Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Ifor Williams Horse Trailer - which towbar?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
MacSweep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Ifor Williams Horse Trailer - which towbar?

I have an Ifor Williams HB510 twin axle trailer and tried my detachable towbar with it. It was ok wit the horse in there but the ride was quite jittery/bouncy when towing the trailer when empty. I'm wondering whether the detachable bar is too high for this type of trailer. Does anyone have any experience of this type of trailer and know whether the fixed type would be better.

Thanks,
Mac
 04 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna Green/Tundra Leather - LR side steps.
Gone but not forgotten...
03 D2 TD5 ES Auto
49 Series 2 2.25 Pickup
48 Series 1 2.0D with O/D (was SWMBOs) 

Post #37293412th Nov 2008 10:52 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

thought the detachable one was slightly lower than the 'std' height of the fixed one.

Although I've only towed small trailers and a 2.2t twin axle trailer. The TA trailer seemed to be fine on the detachable one, but I only did about 20 miles with it to collect some building stuff.

I've now got a fixed one so I can also link up a Sankey trailer. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #37293812th Nov 2008 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I have the same trailer for our horses and while I have not used the Disco to tow it yet (use Landcruiser Amazon), the trailer is a lot smoother to tow when loaded. I concluded that without the horses aboard, the trailer simply bounces over the bumps (the difference is visable in the rear view mirror), hence chucks the vehicle about a bit. IMHO, I don't think changing the tow bar height will make much difference. Raising the tow ball height may help as may adding ballast to the front of the trailer or rear of the Disco. With the Amazon, you have the luxury of a switch to adjust the firmness of the suspension which takes out some but not all of the bouncyness. If you're still concerned, I will hook the trailer on the Disco and see how it compares as I have a detachable tow bar on that as well.

Post #37294012th Nov 2008 11:09 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Swan neck has worked fine with my own 505 and some borrowed 510's.No major difference in ride quality. Confused Nags never complained either.

Post #37294112th Nov 2008 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wiff

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I pull a 510 with mine. The detachable was far too low for me. The tyres on the back axle barely touched the floor, so went for the muli-height towbar, which allows the box to run level. Tows pefectly, even up to and beyond full weight.

Last edited by Wiff on 13th Nov 2008 10:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #37295112th Nov 2008 11:25 pm
Rugby Man

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As I have probably said before there is a EU standard height for ALL cars .

As for all Ifor williams Trailers they all rattle because they are on springs not rubber suspension units.

I tow all sorts of trailers with my business behind a Disco 3 & it adjusts the ride height depending on the weight of the trailer .

Ifors are the worst to tow empty but with a load on no problem & remember with that little bit of bounce that your trailer is doing ,you will be using more fuel as the when the wheels hit the ground its like a mini brake.

If you want the best riding trailer then the Cheval Liberte Pullman suspension is the best by a long way .

Post #37303713th Nov 2008 8:41 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I tow a 510 with our horses using the detachable tow bar with no problems, what I have noticed is that I tend to tow a lot faster when it is empty Whistle the trailer is a bit more jittery but I put this down to the speed.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #37308613th Nov 2008 10:34 am
cumbrian-col

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I can't comment on the swan neck bar as I have the fixed one but the 510 tows great on that either fully loaded or empty. Sure it's a little more bouncy when empty 'cause of the leaf springs but also without the horses on board you don't have 'er indoors naggin you to slow down all the time so you may just be goin a bit quicker Smile
 I'd be unstoppable - if I could just get started  
Post #37311413th Nov 2008 11:16 am
alanwxr

I use a detachable with a new 506 trailer, with absolutely no problems at all.

Ifor Williams quote recommmended hitch height 400 to 450mm for the 505/6 and 510/1. The Disco 3 detachable is 400mm.

So the numbers add up Wink

Post #37312013th Nov 2008 11:36 am
Apny

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Mac sweep,

There has been several posts regarding Ifor Williams and horse trailers.
I Have the Multi height and found i had to put it up a hole to get a level ride.
With the trailer connected are the vehicle and trailer on a even keel this could be why the trailer is bouncy. I tow the HB 505 which is lighter and dont really have bouncy problem when empty

Does anybody know if the towing capacity of the detachable towbar is the same as the multi height.
im asking this question as ISTR that, in the D1 handbook i had, it stated that the offroad towing capacity is a lot lower than onroad and would detachable effect the tow capacity even more?

As Alanwxr states the numbers addup, but if you have the trailer set low at the front the nose weight down on the hitch will put more weight forward to the vehicle and ineffect push the car IMO, somebody correct me if wrong.

All said the D3 is the ultimate tow vehicle in it's class and provides effortless concentration when towing and braking.

Andy

Post #37314213th Nov 2008 12:20 pm
alanwxr

The trailer empty it is a little bit low, with the rear wheel almost off the ground. But with a couple of horses in it sorts the problem out and tows well.

I find that the trailer tows with no issues empty or full. Bit bouncy when empty but that's usual.

I've always understood that the detachable is 3500 same as fixed.

Post #37315713th Nov 2008 12:44 pm
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I introduced my Disco detachable tow bar to our Ifor 510 this morning and the ball height is about 1 inch lower than the Ifor hitch height and in my view could do with being 2 inches higher as I like a little extra weight on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle. I did not put a horse in the box to fully test it, but it does suggest that a fixed bar with adjustable ball heights would be a much better option for regular towing.

Post #37326513th Nov 2008 3:27 pm
Talula

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

We have an Ifor 511 which is the same as yours and have the multi height tow bar. When we picked the trailer up had the ball on the middle setting and the ride was a little lurchy, felt like the car was trying to pull the box into the ground. Since then Westover have put the ball on the highest setting and all is well, even with horse in the back so all up weight of 2 tonnes pulls straight and true. Definately use the multi on highest setting, we put spirit level in box and was level.
 Don't try to follow me, you wont make it!!
One life. live it. 

Post #37337213th Nov 2008 7:32 pm
Apny

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Macsweep,

741 and Talula seem to agree with myself and others (pevious postings) that the multi height is the way to go to sort out the level and tow comfort, unless LR want to intruduce a short neck tow hitch Question

My multi height is on the maximun setting.

The D3 might self level but it wont self level an item connected.

You need all four wheels on the ground, same as the car to provide stability at speed, also the Ifor Willians is a braked trailer and i cant remember if it is braked on two or or just one axle i.e. front or rear or both Thumbs Up

Also, had 1 ton of Kubota in the 505 Sunday with no problem getting it in easier to load than my horse Thumbs Up

Andy

Post #37342213th Nov 2008 8:32 pm
MacSweep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks very much for all your replies. Think I'll persevere with the detachable after all. It not used empty very much anyway.

Cheers,
Mac
 04 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna Green/Tundra Leather - LR side steps.
Gone but not forgotten...
03 D2 TD5 ES Auto
49 Series 2 2.25 Pickup
48 Series 1 2.0D with O/D (was SWMBOs) 

Post #37438416th Nov 2008 11:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >