Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Sunroof drain issue - help needed please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bulzy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Sunroof drain issue - help needed please

Having read all the posts on sunroof drain issues, my problem is slightly different although I am sure someone has had the same. The sunroof drain on the passenger side is leaking water into the footwell but most of the water is still exiting from the wheel arch as it should. When pouring water down the left hand sunroof drain, you can see the water coming in to the footwell from behind the loom and is collecting around the electrical wires. Could this be that the elbow behind the wheel arch is broken and if so, is it possible to get to it from the footwell? There doesn't seem to be any blockage as the water drains away perfectly well but a small trickle is escaping into the footwell. This quickly becomes a puddle which soaks the carpet and has even travelled into the back footwell through the wiring loom gutter. I have checked the tube all the way down from the inner A pillar and it is ok up to there. Any help or pics on how to check further would be greatly appreciated.....before it rains again! Cheers Confused

Post #136376624th Oct 2014 8:17 pm
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My son in law had exactly the same problem on his HSE. We found the easiest fix was to run a new drain pipe from the A post just above the dashboard out trough the existing bulkhead exit. We removed the wheel arch liner and fed a curtain wire through the drain hole and fished it up, following the route of the original drain tube. We then fed a new length of tube over the curtain wire and back down through the bulkhead, cut the original tube about 150mm above the dash and joined it to the new tube. Once we had the new drain in place we pulled out the old drain tube and elbow which was fixed to the bulkhead and found it was split, most of the rain water was running out but a fair amount was running into the passenger footwell. I'm slightly drunk at the moment but hope what I've out makes sense. Thumbs Up

Post #136381024th Oct 2014 10:07 pm
Elstevros

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am the aforementioned son in law and can attest to both LittleG's fix and the fact he was well oiled when he left our house (goblets and giblets of wine) 😃👍

The elbow had completely deteriorated and was allowing water to drain into the footwell but also drain out correctly appearing as if there was no fault.

Once the wheel arch cover and trim is off you can feel into the cavity where the drain exits (you have to be a slight contortionist) you will more than likely find the brittle or broken bits of tube at the base.

Got to love the patented Land Rover repair all tool that is curtain rail!

Did mine 2 weeks ago and the carpet is almost dry, no more leaking. I kind of miss the daily pond emptying.

Any queries let us know. 👍

Post #136383324th Oct 2014 11:29 pm
Bulzy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Even worse trouble!

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Tried as suggested but immediately lost the elbow into the inner bodywork of car. Threaded the curtain wire down from the sunroof and tried to fish it through the small hole above the wheel arch without success.

Does anyone have any further ideas or is it a dash off job?

Thanks Big Cry

Post #136470927th Oct 2014 3:28 pm
Elstevros

No need to take the dash off for mine. We removed the a pillar trim disconnected the heated screen connectors, un clipped the drain tube from the drain clips, then pulled the tube up from behind the dash.

Post #136471227th Oct 2014 3:42 pm
Elstevros

We put the curtain wire in through the wing drain with a bit of coaxing it finds its way up to the a pillar leaving about a foot of wire hanging from the arch. . Then taped the tube to the curtain wire by the a pillar and pulled it out.

The join in the drain pipe we made between two of the apillar drain clips.

👍

Post #136471327th Oct 2014 3:47 pm
Downhiller

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic116740.html

is how i got to the hole where the new tube and elbow joint goes. enjoy.

Post #136475427th Oct 2014 5:38 pm
nujjer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Elstevros wrote:
The elbow had completely deteriorated and was allowing water to drain into the footwell but also drain out correctly appearing as if there was no fault.....Any queries let us know. 👍

Exactly my problem. So, after various contortions and threading and joining, does the new pipe go from the join (inside the A pillar) all the way to the outside of the car. No replacement grommet where the pipe passes through a bulkhead?

Post #14545927th Apr 2015 12:29 am
Downhiller

The new pipe comes complete with a new elbow which has a built in grommet. It's a fiddle but it pushes into the inner wing from the inside as its a stiffer design than the old one. The hardest job is getting the pipe past all the gubbins behind the fuse unit and fed through the bottom of the windscreen pillar.

Post #14546797th Apr 2015 10:55 am
nujjer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks @downhiller, you fitted the grommet by removing the fuse board, if I want to use the curtain wire method there is no way that the grommet can be refitted, so how did you do it @Elstevros?

Post #14548547th Apr 2015 5:37 pm
Downhiller

i simply used my hands and pushed it in. I didn't use any curtain wire method. its easy once the CJB is out

Post #145929616th Apr 2015 7:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >