Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Knocking front suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Knocking front suspension

My front suspension was knocking a few weeks before the warranty ran out in August . The dealer said was lower balljoints which were replaced. Knocking was still there. Managed to get LR to agree to look further into the problem. Dealer then changes steering rack but to no avail. After that they thought it might control arm bushes but I suggested it might antiroll bar bushes. They didn't seem to know about antirollbar bush problem or the TSB regarding it. They did look it up but said that antiroll bar bushes were fine. They have now done the control arm bushes but the noise is still there, slightly worse if anything. I have had a good look at the front suspension and had a good pry around with a bar but can't find anything that could cause this noise. The antirollbar bushes don't seem to have any play in them. Have told the dealer that I am still not happy and I think they will look further but I am nearly 5 months out of warranty.
The knocking noise is obvious on small potholes and bumps and even does it when driving into the dealers driveway. When driving on not very rough paddocks its a constant knocking like 2 pieces of wood being hit together.
Any thoughts?
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #3839746th Dec 2008 2:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickm

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am having very similar issues. Lower control arms plus balljoints were replaced for the second time a couple of months ago and the problem seemed better for a while but is getting worse again. Dealer now wants to replace the lower control arm bushes again despite the fact that they are almost new. Apparently there is play, but how?

You might be interested in this post - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic26358.h...7764b1eb1. I must get the dealer to check the body mounts and find out which control arms I have fitted...

Post #3840036th Dec 2008 9:26 am
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

This might be a repeat of the same problem I posted a request for help on.

Have a read of: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic28001.html

Gives details of a technical publication on a problem with similar characteristics.

Post #3841986th Dec 2008 9:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >