Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuel filter and Diff Oils changed - with pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Fuel filter and Diff Oils changed - with pics

Today's project has been to change the fuel filter and diff oils. I took a few pictures along the way, which may be of interest to some. I know some people have posted fuel filter advice before, but a few more pics can't hurt Wink

Starting off with the fuel filter, which is on a MY05 TDV6. The filter is a different type for MY07 on, AFAIK.
After removing the panels underneath (engine and gearbox), the fuel filter is easy to see, roughly under the drivers seat (RHD models).
Click image to enlarge

On top of the filter are 4 push on connectors, which are removed by pressing in the coloured button (blue and yellow visible here) and sliding off the filter:
Click image to enlarge

They come off fairly easily:
Click image to enlarge

Then the filter can be removed from the bracket - just loosen the securing bolt:
Click image to enlarge

The fuel line connectors stay in roughly the same place once removed, so as long as you fit the new filter the same way around it's quite easy to work out which connector goes on which port of the filter:
Click image to enlarge

The top of the new Denso filter (cost me about £10 off ebay):
Click image to enlarge

Slide the connectors onto the new filter - they 'click' into position, and 2 were secured with an additional plastic clip as seen here:
Click image to enlarge

New filter in place, almost done! Make sure the water drain at the bottom of the filter is shut.
Click image to enlarge

All that needs to be done now is the fuel bleed:
Take off the engine cover and you will find a small valve at the rear of the engine:
Click image to enlarge

Take the cap off (be careful not to drop it!) and place an absorbent cloth around it to soak up any diesel:
Click image to enlarge

Then turn on the ignition until the dash lights come on, but don't start the engine. Press the centre of the valve (like a car tyre valve) to allow fuel to flow out - there is very little pressure so after the initial flow you need to turn the ignition off and on again to run the pump again. After doing this a few times some air will purge out - not much, and will probably clear after another 3 or 4 ignition cycles / valve presses. I filled up the new filter with fuel before fitting it, so that might have reduced the amount of air. Once the bleed is complete, replace the plastic cap and engine cover, and start the engine Thumbs Up

edit - 10forcash has posted this comment in another thread, which may be useful: "Filling the fuel filter is quite easy and doesn't need the LP bleed procedure above...
fit filter, turn on ignition for 40 seconds, turn off ignition, turn on for 40 seconds another 4 times, start engine & run for 2 minutes - applies to <07MY and 07MY onwards
if it's relatively quiet, you can hear the in-tank pump running, the air is pushed out to the return line, not to the engine
also, when fitting the <07MY filter, make sure you hear the pipe fittings click into place on the filter"

I followed that procedure, and still got some air out of the bleed valve. It would have probably found it's way back into the tank if I'd not bled it, not sure.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Last edited by ridgeback_moor on 17th Mar 2009 10:11 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #43817614th Mar 2009 1:41 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well done that man, a job made much easier with pictorial evidence. Much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #43818214th Mar 2009 1:54 pm
ridgeback_moor

OK, here goes with the diff oil change.....

I used 2 ramps, and off road height, which gave plenty of access room underneath. Just watch out when the vehicle decides to 'self level' as mine dropped by about 1-2" whilst I was underneath Rolling Eyes

Starting with the front differential, you need to find the filler plug which site about half way up on the left hand side. It's an 8mm hex socket. I gave it a wire brushing before removal to reduce the chance of any dirt getting into the diff housing.
Click image to enlarge

It will probably be quite stiff, but will budge...
Click image to enlarge

Then onto the drain plug, which is near the bottom of course Laughing ...
Click image to enlarge

You need a 14mm hex drive to remove the drain plug - I got mine from Halfords for about £4...
(edit - newer vehicles have a 3/8 square hole in the drain plugs - from MY06 I think)
Click image to enlarge

About 0.6 ltr of the nicest smelling oil will run out of the diff once the drain plug is removed, so have the tray/bowl ready. Maybe I'm strange, but i love the smell of diff oil Embarassed Confused Laughing
Click image to enlarge

This is what came out (at 85k miles) - the bits were already in the bowl, not from the diff!
Click image to enlarge

The drain plug is magnetic, to trap all the ferrous particles and reduce wear. There's quite a lot of it...
Click image to enlarge

Cleaned up.....
Click image to enlarge

Once the oil oil has drained out, replace the drain plug. I didn't use a torque wrench, just did it up Censored tight Thumbs Up
The specified diff oil is Castrol SAF XO - I got it from Opie Oils (site member Oilman) for £12.64 / litre
Click image to enlarge

The front diff takes 0.61 ltrs, so I measured it out. Hopefully SWMBO won't notice I used her new measuring jug Whistle
Click image to enlarge

I tried to squirt the new oil into the filler plug straight from the bottle, but there's not really enough room to move the bottle, so I used a length of clean plastic pipe and tipped the oil down it. A funnel would have been useful, but I used the top off one of the oil bottles, and routed the pipe out above the nearside front wheel. It took about 5 minutes to slowly pour the oil into the pipe, constantly checking the other end was still in the diff filler hole.
Click image to enlarge

Once it's filled (by amount, not level apparently), replace the filler plug and check for leaks.

The onto the rear one........
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Last edited by ridgeback_moor on 8th May 2011 8:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #43826114th Mar 2009 6:06 pm
ridgeback_moor

The rear diff is almost the same as the front, just with more oil in it (1.1 ltrs service fill), and the filler plug is harder to find!
Again, start by removing the filler plug (8mm hex again). On the rear diff it's on the right hand side of the diff...
Click image to enlarge

Then the drain plug....
Click image to enlarge

More nice smelling oil - quite a lot more than the front....
Click image to enlarge

and plenty of ferrous gubbins again...
Click image to enlarge

Replace the cleaned drain plug and fill with 1.1 ltrs of new SAF XO
Click image to enlarge

Refit the filler plug, check for leaks, job done Thumbs Up
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #43826914th Mar 2009 6:20 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent write ups there Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #43828514th Mar 2009 6:46 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

RM

Fantastic write ups, very clear Bow down

You need to get it on the wiki area, even if it is only a link to this post Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #43840314th Mar 2009 11:35 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Fantastic job, Well Done. Thumbs Up
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #43845015th Mar 2009 8:11 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Excellant job Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #43847315th Mar 2009 9:36 am
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Always take the fill plug out before the drain plug....I like your style Thumbs Up

I was taught that when i was an apprentice in the unlikely event you couldnt get the plug undone (Common on tractor axles) at least it had oil in until you could get the new plug before you butchered it out

Post #43849615th Mar 2009 10:52 am
ridgeback_moor

Same here Matt - did an apprenticeship too and learnt the proper way Wink

Also, by removing the fill plug first, the oil drains faster and carries more debris with it (if there is any).

If someone can put it on the wiki for me that would be great - I followed all the steps posted earlier this year and still couldn't log in to contribute Confused I'm on the list of people authorised to add to the wiki, but just couldn't log in.

This mornings project was to remove the Electronic Throttle housing (the part that the butterfly valve sits in) and clean it out. I've chopped down the pipes that feed the EGR recirc gas into the inlet system, so there's no part of it protruding into the inlet system, and cleaned out most of the carbon deposits from within the throttle assembly. I didn't realise it was so easy to get that assembly out -1 clip and 2 bolts, and it slides out of the 2 inlet manifolds. Pics and details to follow later - off out to the beach again as it's like mid summer in Devon today Very Happy Very Happy
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #43850715th Mar 2009 12:11 pm
ridgeback_moor

Fuel filter bleed procedure edited (in 1st post) to include 10forcash comments in another thread. May not be necessary to bleed using the engine bay valve apparently, although I prefer to anyway.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #43952817th Mar 2009 10:13 am
J6BXR

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

excellent instructions anyone got changing auto transmission oil?

cheers

John

Post #4747161st Jun 2009 7:45 am
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

RM , Bow down
Great write up , thanks for taking the time to take all the pics whilst doing the job Thumbs Up
Definately one for Wiki Thumbs Up

Post #4747281st Jun 2009 8:11 am
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I did my diffs and replaced the fuel filter on Boxing day. Followed the destructions and it all went well.
I bought my disco with 52000 km on it. It now has 112000......

Front Diff:
Click image to enlarge

Looks like a bit of an oil leak... Apparently this is normal for a LR. Smile... There was very little swarf on the plug...
Oil analysis of front diff oil with a 0.8micron patch paper and 100x magnification:

Click image to enlarge

Looks to show good wear

Rear Diff

not sure if this is a leak?

Click image to enlarge

A lot of swarf on plug:

Click image to enlarge

Oil analysis of rear diff oil with a 0.8micron patch paper and 100x magnification:

Click image to enlarge

The brown bits are old corroded bits of metal with the shiny bits are recent

Apparently the rear diff is not to bad considering it age..... It seems the oil has been replace on the front looking at its condition.......

I have gear oil left over so i will replace the rear diff oil again when i change the oil next

JD

Post #5724441st Jan 2010 5:31 am
Grahjam

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good pods, which I found after I came across a suspected leak on my front diff. Just done it following your instructions, only difference I came across which was a bit strange, was the drain plug was a 3/8th square (mines an 06 plate). Gave me a bit of a problem as I had bought the 14mm hex and did n't have the other size to hand. I also measured the oil that drained out which was 400ml, so guess my suspected leak is there. Will probably do it again in a couple of month to see how much oil its loosing before I consider replacing the oil seals.

cheers for the post

GMC

Post #65404327th May 2010 10:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >