Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EAS pressure + supplementary compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
EAS pressure + supplementary compressor

Does anybody know the pressure switch settings on the main EAS tank? ie, when the pressure falls below XX psi the std compressor kicks in, and at YY psi the tank is considered "full" and the std compressor shuts off?

I am thinking to plumb my auxillary compressor (which is already hardwired under the bonnet) into the main tank, with a pressure switch set a modest amount higher (perhaps 10 or 20 psi) than the Land Rover pressure range. Then add an air socket to the main tank, so that I can use it to inflate my tyres more quickly than just using the auxillary compressor.

If I can get it to work, the idea would be that 99% of the time, the LR system would work like std. But when I finish offroading, I would turn on my auxillary compressor a few moment before stopping to reinflate the tyres, an it would add the extra 10-20psi. Then use the large tank to fill tyres, with the auxillary compressor keeping the tank full, with no load on the LR compressor. I guess if I took too much air out, the LR compressor would also kick in to help out - bonus! Then, when all tyres finished, disconnect the airline, turn off auxillary compressor, and leave it once again to the LR system to control the show, solely for EAS airbags.

Information/advice appreciated.

Post #4613531st May 2009 1:57 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mr Andrew I think CaverD3 has done this or tapped into his D3 compressor I think.

Edit : might pick up something here , http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic29934.h...compressor

Post #4613551st May 2009 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You'll need a decent regulator as ISTR it is stored at abouit 220PSI?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4613581st May 2009 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Discowex. I suspect Rob Bruce may have had a tinker with this also, but I am not sure. I hope that either or both of them can share their experience with us, 'cause I could not find it when I searched the site - but then there's a lot to search these days!

Edit: DiscoWex - thanks x2 - the post you pointed me to is very helpful, I had not found it before.

Post #4613591st May 2009 2:03 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D3 air tank can be at 130 psi. I don't know if you can get a compressor to match that. Best O think is 200 psi. The air tank has nine ltres of air at 230 psi. That is a lot of air.
I have a kit on mine (Mitcell Bros) which takes air from the tank via a regulator to make it safe.
Re-inflated four tyres from 25 to 35 and 38 psi and the compressor didn't even start up. Very Happy
I don't think a normal compressor would have enough pressure to get the suspension working again.
Air off the tank and a spare LR compressor for remote travels maybe?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4615912nd May 2009 5:43 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

caverD3, are you replacing the desiccant pack on the compressor intake more often to protect the compressor?
I believe that when the suspension vents, it does so 'backwards' through the desiccant pack, helping it dry out a bit. If you're using 'tank air' for other purposes then this part of the airflow is one way and doesn't refresh the pack. Or don't you think this is an issue?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4615932nd May 2009 7:16 am
caverD3

I think this would be an issue if you were pumping up fat tyres on a regular basis or using power tools.
Very little air is used in re-inflating.
I have emptied and re-filled the air tanl seventimes in deveoping the adjustable rod system and have not had a problem.

Looks like the air is dried before it goes to the tank?

Click image to enlarge

Item Part Number Description
1 - Compressor
2 - Compressor temperature sensor
3 - Air dryer
4 - Reservoir
5 - Front LH air spring damper module
6 - Front valve block
7 - Cross link valve
8 - Front RH air spring damper module
9 - Front RH corner valve
10 - Front LH corner valve
11 - Reservoir control valve
12 - Pressure sensor
13 - Rear RH corner valve
14 - Rear RH air spring damper module
15 - Cross link valve
16 - Rear valve block
17 - Rear LH corner valve
18 - Rear LH air spring damper module
19 - Inlet air filter
20 - Pilot exhaust valve
21 - Exhaust
22 - Air silencer
23 - Pressure relief and exhaust valve
24 - Motor temperature sensor
25 - Electric motor
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4616022nd May 2009 8:08 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, the dessicant it 'downstream' of the compressor, and the system vents on the 'downstream' side of the dryer, so the only air going through the dryer is from the compressor, feeding the system. I suppose the biggest issue here is whether the duty cycle of the compressor is up to the job in hand. Even that should not be a damaging issue, because there are temp sensors on the electric motor and the compressor to shut things down if they get hot.

Post #4616052nd May 2009 8:50 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looks like I was wrong, I thought 19 was both a filter and desiccant pack, and that it vented back through it. Looks like this only happens for 3. Nice diagram Smile
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4616582nd May 2009 2:48 pm
caverD3

When taking a compressor apart you will find that the meeeting of the line from '20' and the main high pressure line from the dryer occures in the dryer on downsream side of the actual decicant. So the dryer itself may be vented to clear moisture?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #4618123rd May 2009 2:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >