DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Updating base car to higher spec one
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
gilmore

England 

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
Whistle
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #47230326th May 2009 1:48 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

"Scousers, thousands of 'em"
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #47231526th May 2009 2:26 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shocked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #47231826th May 2009 2:39 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Officer, I parked my car here just an hour ago.

Or.

The insurance company saya to Wiggs after he report the car is stolen:

You still have the most important part of the car, the electronics, so we only pay you 40% of the book value.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47237626th May 2009 5:29 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ahh, so that's what happens when you disable everything in the CCF Shocked

Either that or it's an Eco friendly body kit. Thumbs Up

I pity the poor guy who is going to be transplanting that little lot. Whistle

Quote:
Who's the ;lucky bod who's going to install it then?

Seriously, as if the Cyprus clue did not twig it, yep me ole mate Wiggs has really come up trumps for me.
and i don't really know how i can thank him enough Bow down Bow down Bow down

I already have a number of looms and bits of looms, but none of them are fully suitable donars, wrong spec, for RRS, bits cut off etc, and my best options are already being employed on our bench test jig, which i can't really break up.

Click image to enlarge

So i am quite familiar with the looms etc.

However before i have a go at transplanting this to my own D3, I will be peg boarding this loom on a massive layout jig, similar to that they use to build them on. I will be sure to add pictures. Thumbs Up

I will be over laying other looms and transplanting wiring parts across to this one to up spec it to a customized one, which might also include some additional wiring for a few bits not normally found in D3's, before finally re wrapping the result.

Then of course i will need to gut my D3's interior and actually do the swap.
with of course more pictures Thumbs Up

Post #47241726th May 2009 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Just as well it didn't start raining Wiggs Shocked
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #47244926th May 2009 8:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm sure Wiggs would be happy for a holiday to Cyprus for a couple of weeks. Not sure he'd get to see much sun though whilst putting that little lot back in Shocked

Did it come from a breakers car?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #47253727th May 2009 4:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

yep , one that had a front end fire
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #47254027th May 2009 5:14 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

And it wasn't a short circiut I hope Laughing
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47255727th May 2009 7:53 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks for that Roel Rolling with laughter

I got the loom in this morning, nice one wiggs Thumbs Up
I have put it on my jig to check it out and overlaid a new sport loom i have for comparison.

You may notice that the one side of the loom has been opened up.
Seems that someone or some thing Shocked got there before wiggs and cut the front PDC sensor wiring and the Yaw Rate sensor wiring out. And whoever removed the seats chose to cut the connectors off rather than unplug them Shocked Shocked

fortunately i have a loom, well its a ball of wiring really, as someone prior to my ownership of it, opened up the whole thing, which has these bits in. I am also adding PTI and am looking to add wiring that will support the 14 speaker configuration of the premium audio, but we will see.

Anyway, i will try to keep you all abreast of my progress. and take some pictures

Last edited by BBS SPY on 4th Jul 2009 6:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #47337328th May 2009 7:57 pm
SN

not an upgrade for the fainthearted then methinks Shocked
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #47340228th May 2009 8:32 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

For those of you who have been following this thread i thought i would bring you up to date and post up some pictures. I know we all like pictures Thumbs Up

For those that have not a recap.
I have long wanted to achieve the considered impossible task of updating my base spec D3 to, well as high as i can actually Rolling with laughter The ECU's and programming i can obviously handle, however my main stumbling block was the loom. Costing nigh on 2 grand new, i needed a used one and i was fortunate enough to know this diamond Wiggs guy who got me this one from an SE. The loom was a bit damaged, as some had noted, had some stuff cut off / out and was not quite the full spec i wanted, but it was dog cheap.

This post is the story (with pictures) of how i transformed it. The pictures are all web optimized and not that big so its should not cause to much speed loss in opening / downloading the post Thumbs Up

I unpacked the loom and pushed together a number of benches in a spare work room on which i could lay it out to properly inspect it and work on it in comfort over some time. Preparation and a good environment being most important.

I knew the loom would need re wrapping and so got in a dozen rolls of the same cloth tape the manufacturers had used.

I had a new Sport loom which is different in some areas and i could not use for other reasons, but it was good enough as a template, so i over laid it and used re usable zip ties to bind the 2 together.

Here is a shot from the rear LH quarter where the looms are most different due to single / dual tailgate and one from in front of the drivers seat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In the foreground you can see that the wiring for the drivers seat just stops where it has been cut off.
see here for a better shot of that if you wish
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=5
You can also see i have a PC there with full wiring diagrams etc on it.

In comparing, i could also see that there were other connectors cut off or missing complete with their wiring, especially the Yaw Rate sensor, front PDC sensors and Pass seat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fortunately for me i have a donor loom which has these connectors and wiring in.

Click image to enlarge

The loom is from a LHD and has had the audio removed (before i got it) but for what i want it is just the job.
For each connector i wanted i followed the wiring and backed out the pins so for each missing or cut off connector i had a replacement and its wiring right through to the pin at the other end.

These were laid into position using the sport loom as a template
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then each cut wire was backed out of the loom and replaced right back to its original connector

Click image to enlarge

Swapped out the pins in each connector

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Until in each case the old cut wires were all gone and the new ones were in their place.

Click image to enlarge

The loom was from a vehicle that had an engine fire, and there was some small heat damage but again i used a replacement set from my donor to fix it.

Click image to enlarge

The replacements / repair was as good as new, here is a shot of the passenger seat connector beside the sport one,

Click image to enlarge

I fixed some other rogue wires including this high speed CAN BUS pair as professionally as possible, even maintaining the vitally important twist.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The job was a good un, and the loom now fully repaired.
Interestingly i ended up replacing no less than 18 wires to the Airbag ECU, thank god it was centrally mounted so my LHD replacements were the right length. I was telling Wiggs about that and that's when the penny dropped. I figure that the main chopping must have been done by the emergency services trying to make the cars AirBags safe. They must have been following some book or guide or something but it explains so much perfectly. All except the fact that they missed the wires to the steering wheel airbag Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Anyway next on the agenda was to update my new loom to full on premium spec. The only difference is that there are 5 additional speaker pairs, 2 to each front door one to each D pillar speaker and 1 to the centre dash.
Well to the facia loom connector anyway as the dash speaker wiring was already there in the facia loom.

I would have liked to have used something solid colored but in the end i got some of that transparent stuff that shows off the OFC conductors but since i would be looming it in it wont be seen.

Using Pins taken from my donor loom i pinned up the Amp ends and loomed the additional wires in
Here is a shot at the Amp end where you can see all the ends converge (they were not inserted to the connectors as i did not have a premium amp then. (Got one on its way now though thanks to Matt.)

Click image to enlarge

The other ends were cut and pinned and inserted in the respective places.

Here is a shot of the pass door connector with a pin ready to go in. You can see to the left he premium door wiring on the left with the additional speaker pair in green and green with white stripe. I was using it as a guide to be sure i put the pins in the right cavities.

Click image to enlarge

Finally i re wrapped all the required sections as original, fitted replacement conduits and fitting clips etc, and the loom looks just like brand new. I also serviced all the connectors with contact spray, measured all the circuits and inspected it from top to bottom.

Here are a few shots of the finished article.

Click image to enlarge

this shows the 3 seat connectors that were cut off now replaced, the loom closest with its conduit was the bit all splayed out on wiggs original pic and the Yaw rate sensor connector present and all tidied up by the airbag ones.

here is another of the Pass kick panel area, on which you can see the missing connector replaced as is the airbag one and on the door connector the additional speaker wires.

Click image to enlarge

Obviously i had a small pile of wiring that had been removed from the damaged loom and my donor loom had shrunk a bit.

Click image to enlarge

although a lot of bits just ended up on the floor

Click image to enlarge

Although it obviously took some time to do this which is more than repaid by the savings i have made, the time was here and there as could be provided and like many such projects is more about the enjoyment rather than the economics.
I have long understood everything i think that there is to know about the vehicle systems and how they work, however this hands on experience of the vehicles wiring adds to that a physical visualization and understanding of the inter connectivity of those systems that you simply cannot get any other way.

I have already fitted this loom to My Disco 3, and upgraded its spec, but that's another story for another post.
But somehow the car now feels strangely different, somehow i feel more at one with it. I may be going crazy or have had one wine too many, but somehow it is no longer just a collection of parts i have never seen or take for granted anymore like my other cars. It is much more personal, and one thing for sure is that if ever there is a problem with it, i will know just where to look. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I guess i can best sum it up by simply saying that i feel it is very much now MY DISCOVERY 3
and i would not swap it for the world.

Post #4912124th Jul 2009 8:29 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quiet an impressive achievement! Great job Thumbs Up

Post #4912224th Jul 2009 9:09 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent work as ever Colin Thumbs Up

Glad i could help out with locating a cheap loom to make it worth while doing . At least now we know whats possible Bow down
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4912254th Jul 2009 9:30 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

That is absolutely astonishing Shocked Bow down

So how may metres of cable are there in a D3 Question
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #4912484th Jul 2009 10:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >