Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

"Broken wires" causing warning lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MX

United Kingdom 
"Broken wires" causing warning lights

I just heard back from the dealer about my suspension fault warning light that put paid to my weekend.

It appears that my car has some broken wires at the rear end that caused these spurious warnings to appear. From what LR are saying there was not actually a suspension fault at all and this was just a basic electrical issue.

Has anyone experienced problems with damaged or badly routed wires on D3? I'm particularly keen to know if anyone has had problems after getting a towbar fitted as this seems too much of a coincidence to my cynical mind.

Thanks
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4801916th Mar 2006 9:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Wiring continues to be a vulnerability, and a great many of the faults that people have experienced relate to wiring/connector issues. This does seem to be a Land Rover Achilles heel - I had a Range Rover that caught fire after 600 miles because of an overtightened cable clip and a Discovery that wouldn't start from time to time due to a broken wire in the steering column - which the dealer tried to blame on the phone kit (where have you heard that old chestnut before.......)

Fitting the tow bar shouldn't impact any wiring, to be honest. The harness is plug in.

Post #4802716th Mar 2006 9:42 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

At the rear of the car, there are two heavy lumps of iron that swing around. These, on my car were fouling the wiring loom that runs across the back of the car up behind the rear crossmember. They had worn through this wiring loom.

This was soon after I gt the car, the dealer replaced the loom. Now it is strapped well away from these counter weights.

Here is a picture looking upwards at the rear of my car. These wires have now been moved out of the way.

Even if these wires are nothing to do with suspension, with the integrated nature of this car, a short in these could cause any error.

Post #4806116th Mar 2006 11:57 am
MX

United Kingdom 

excellent Gareth....thanks for that........(I'm taking this photo into the dealer to see what actually it was that had the fault.....)
with my luch I expect its something else and more prone to happen again
Sad
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4806416th Mar 2006 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Great, perhaps you too could get a photo. A photo speaks a thousand words Wink

Post #4806616th Mar 2006 12:44 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I can also offer the fact that a 'broken wire' in the form of a fuse can cause the dashboard to act like a Tomy toy, having moved a 15A fuse from what I thought was the fog light to the washer pump and indicated all sorts of problems (brakes, special programs).
One forum member had plenty of issues after his loom had been gnawed - think it was rejected and replaced due to damage occuring prior to delivery.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #4809916th Mar 2006 2:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >