Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Towing

Hi there, been towing a few times with the DISCO and tintent, and compared with the Nissan Navara i used to tow with the tintent seems more sensitve to slight steering adjustments.

Two things spring to mind :-

1. Clean my Ball.... the tow bar needs a good clean with solvent, and a rub down with emery paper
2. The ceramic disks in my ALKO tow bar need replacing or adjusting

Any other suggestions >?
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48547022nd Jun 2009 10:25 pm
horton_graham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

I'd recommend taking the paint of the towball, as this contaminates the brake pads in the Alko system.
The disco 3 should be rock steady.
Only problem I've had, is forgetting whats on the back!
Oh yes, I would recommend that you keep your balls clean and your kn~b polished?

Post #48547522nd Jun 2009 10:28 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A chap by the name of "Chicken George" over on the Freelander2 site may be able to help you.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/
 Now driving BMW 330d Touring....misses D3...but not when at traffic lights Smile  
Post #48547622nd Jun 2009 10:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Yeah George will love to help Laughing

Alternatively, have you checked how much weight you have on teh towbar? Might not be heavy enough 100Kg should be fine Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #48547822nd Jun 2009 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichieP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I could post my generous experience of towing with d3 but ..... I just can't be bothered..... Rolling with laughter

D3 + Tintent (A ta Fleetwood Heritage 640) - Alko stabiliser - believe it or not the more i put in the van the better it tows

D3 + Ifor box trailer (12x6x7HR) - no stabiliser - nearly 3+ tonne tows well but not as stable as the van.

Anyone who says they don't know its there has to be lieing. On the motorway both will cruise in 5th at 60mph but will twitch with wind and large vehicles overtaking - neither will stay in 6th unless you accidently go above 65 and then the ifor becomes unstable.

Starting off on junctions and roundabouts - you need to give it plenty of power - I defy anyone to tell me they don't notice there towing then?

And for the record I run two D3's - one a HSE auto with removeable tow bar, the other a XS manual with multi- height fixed tow bar - they both seem to run the same once the auto/manual are taken into account.

Yawn Sorry gone on - check your nose weight as suggested - move the weight on to the axels instead

EDIT - Check your tyre pressures also as we have noticed a difference when they are not equal - across axels
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!
2007 XS Commercial Java Black - with leather, Aux Battery and MANTEC plate 

Post #48549722nd Jun 2009 10:57 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

RichieP is pretty much bang on with his words....my only change is that towing a single axle german van which is pretty heavy I find 6th at 60-70mph is more stable than 4/5th at 50....just differs i guess....

I tend to be loaded with kids, dog, bikes etc....
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #48553123rd Jun 2009 12:59 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

90 % of my driving of the D3 is towing either 2500kg 20ft off road van or a 2500 kg trailer with a car on it. I do not run any sway bar system at all and you can sit on what ever speed you are game to with no movement at all by either, I do run 10% tow weight on the draw bar. Other than the decrease in performance you would not hardy know that they are there. One thing over the years that I have found that gets over looked a lot is that the nose of the van/trailer needs to be slightly down for the van to handle right, other wise air causes lift on the van making it sway. Also try to keep as much weight as you can over the axles, how you pack can make a big difference. Also the D3 stays in 6 gear auto most of the time while towing.
Good Luck
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #48553423rd Jun 2009 1:16 am
al cope

England 

Also try changing rear tyre pressures. A week or so back a chap asked on here if he needed to do this, and I said No, as mine T/A Abbey towed great without "uping" the rear pressures (I was running 19" alloys with pirelli Scorpions), but I've just towed for the first time with my 20" stormers fitted, and rear tyre pressure did make a difference. It seemed quite twitchy with the rears at 36psi (which is what I run solo), but was much better with the rears at 40 psi.

Worth a try.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #48555723rd Jun 2009 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >