Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My first trip off road today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ben5575

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
My first trip off road today

Ok, so having finally taken delivery of my shiny new 06 SE on Tuesday, (the one I originally bought having terminally broken down en route from the dealer), and managing to resist the temptation to drive over every piece of grass verge I saw, I decided that I would see what these machines can do.

A quick skeg on t’internet revealed that North Yorkshire Off Road Centre is but an hour away, and at £30 for a day and the same again for an hour’s tuition, it seemed the ideal way of wiling away a warm but wet Sunday afternoon.

I learnt a long time ago from taking my little car on the odd track day or 70, that no matter how big a hero you think you are, it only takes a little instruction to make you realise that in actual fact you can’t drive for sh!te. Circuit driving is all about balance, accuracy and precision. Surely bashing up a few hills would be a piece of the proverbial?

Well perhaps unsurprisingly it didn’t take long for this little theory to be dispatched into the long mud rut.

Having met the owner and my instructor for the afternoon; Owen, it was clear that despite his rather jovial manner, he had that incredible understated calmness in the face of extreme ineptitude that only people with exceptional talent possess Bow down

So having tackled vertical hills, 2 metre deep ruts and 60 degree angle leany over thingies (Owen told me that they were a piffling 20 degrees, but why ruin a good tale with facts when it’s so easy to exaggerate online…) I have decided that these cars of ours really are quite good.

Anyhow I’ve already taken up enough space on here with this pointless thread, but suffice to say that after only five days of ownership (it hasn’t had chance to break yet!) I am rapidly developing a crush on OO51 MUD. I can also heartily recommend Owen and NY Off Road Centre. Thumbs Up

Ben

Post #4915265th Jul 2009 9:48 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Nothing pointless about that post Ben, made me choke on my coffee lol
great fun aren't they?
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #4915585th Jul 2009 11:10 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Whereabouts is the North Yorks Off Road centre? is it the one at Robin Hoods Bay?

Cool reg number btw Thumbs Up

Post #4915625th Jul 2009 11:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thumbs Up

As it would be D3 specific...I would consider joining a newbie training group on here or at an official LRE centre TBH ....most private 4x4 training centres don't understand how the D3 works in comparison to other 4x4's Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4915655th Jul 2009 11:18 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
these cars of ours

not quite sure why, but i like the way you wrote that.....wish there was more of whatever it is you have in OUR country..

nice one.. Thumbs Up
 one wife.......livid  
Post #4915725th Jul 2009 11:44 pm
ben5575

Thank you for your kind words. SWMBO had sat me down in front of 'Once', a treacley musical in the style of Damian Rice. All of a sudden writing a long winded post about man things seemed like a good idea Whistle

Gareth, yep it’s the one at Robin Hoods Bay. The situation is breathtaking. The course itself is 15 acres on the furthest point on top of a very high headland overlooking a stunning horseshoe bay.

Its location means that when you drive up then crest a hill, you get mud, bonnet, sky, sky, bonnet, sea, sea, holy sheeyat I’m about to fall off a cliff, sea, bonnet and mud again. The picture of the Defender on their homepage http://www.nyoffroad.co.uk/ gives you a fairly good idea of what it’s like.

Sadly I don’t have anything to compare it with so I can’t tell you that it’s better than such and such. But the key thing was that it was good fun.

DG, I take your point about a LR experience. Owen, the guy who owns it, is a 60 something, self confessed ‘yacker’ (his words). That said he was a rally driver of 15 years, then raced 4x4’s, then worked for LR as an instructor and latterly for Jeep. He certainly seemed to know his way round a D3.

Either way I have the voucher for an experience day ‘in the post’ so I will have to report back Very Happy

Ben

Post #4916396th Jul 2009 10:01 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thumbs Up Not trying to discredit the chap BTW just a general observation.

....also look out for the newbie days we run on here ...most offer excellent training from LR qualified instructors who are very, very D3 specific. You will learn how to get the most out of the gadgetry for all terrains from them Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4916726th Jul 2009 10:47 am
Ken

Hey DG isnt there a a day Weekend thingie soon Whistle

Post #4916786th Jul 2009 10:51 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

ben5575 wrote:
SWMBO had sat me down in front of 'Once', a treacley musical in the style of Damian Rice.

Off Topic Great soundtrack to that BTW, Marketa Irglova is quiet a talent Wink

Good to see you're enjoying your motor Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #4916876th Jul 2009 11:03 am
ben5575

ssshhh Tanters, I completely agree but I'm new to the forum so didn't feel comfortable enough yet to expose my feminine side.... Wink

Ken, sadly I shall mostly be ‘Walking with Dinosaurs’ this weekend so I can’t make the event, which is a shame as I grew up in a little village between Corby and Market Harborough and it would have been nice to go back.

BTW, what the hell is this 'Tixover Driving' anyway Question Is this a new technique I need to learn or something?

Post #4917526th Jul 2009 12:37 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

ben5575 wrote:
ssshhh Tanters, I completely agree but I'm new to the forum so didn't feel comfortable enough yet to expose my feminine side.... Wink

Shocked I didnt say she had lovely shoes ........ Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #4917656th Jul 2009 1:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >