Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

A 2nd Aux Input On The IHU - sort of!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
woodman438

A 2nd Aux Input On The IHU - sort of!

For those who have a DVD system and use the Aux input (like the LR accessory) there is a way to generate a 2nd aux input, although its a bit of a trick.

I did this yesterday and forgot to take loads of pictures of the steps, but the theory/reality is as follows:

The mini jack input on the rear of the centre console is a switch type - this is why you have to put that "dummy plug" in to make the LR accessory DVD player to work.

However the little aux in section comes out real easy and inside the circuit board is real simple (see pic). If you solder an input onto the right pins of the mini jack socket you can get 1 input when the ignition is off and another when it is on.

I have used this to integrate my Ipod. I have one of those belkin adaptors which i have taken apart and fitted the circuit board inside the centre console, that way i dont have anything plugged into the aux input nor the 12v socket - keeps it tidy!

With the dummy plug in the socket and the ignition off i get the LR accessory - this is because the audio is "split into the loom" in the passenger footwell

With the dummy plug in and the ignition on, i get the other side of the mini jack socket input - this is where i have soldered my ipod input too.

Alternativley i could fit a switch to the PSU of the ipod board and could manually control it.

Oh, and i still get to use the aux in socket if needed as long as the ipod is switched off!

Sorry if this is confusing - if anyone genuially finds this interesting ill write something a bit better.... promise!

Oh, one last thing - i routed the cable into the centre console, like this:

Cheers

Woodman
 D3 JB/B V6 HSE + DVD and NAVtv addon, Steps, Tints, PTI
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #1364022nd Aug 2005 11:21 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Woodman,
that's a neat adaptation.
Do you have any other photos of the installation you could post? Failing that, tips about dismantling the centre console. I'm considering doing similar to remove the adaptor from shoe range of the children as they scramble around in the back (one of the air vent bezels has already been kicked off once).
thanks
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Last edited by DrLex on 16th Sep 2005 7:04 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1754415th Sep 2005 9:26 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Yes please Woodman, more info and help. I would like to put another input into the aux input that isn't in range of the feet just like DrLex wants.

I currently have a a lead down to the front of the car so I can plug my PDA in, but the Jack gets kicked about as everyone scrambles in and out, or just wags their feet around.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #1755415th Sep 2005 10:07 pm
woodman438

Ok, sorry its taken me a while to respond!

Good news is this is easier than you probably think! I dont have any pictures but instructions are below.

To remove the section with the input jack/cig socket on it - open the lid/flap hold each end firmly and just pull - it will pop out with reasonable ease. Note that there is a connector on both ends - one is the audio, this is a green connector which goes in the end side ways and then there is the connector on the back of the cig socket.

Once removed this housing is held together by some obvious screws at the rear. Once apart the circuit board is really simple - it seems the be the same circuit board as used in the RRS rear multimedia system as there are markings for various other buttons.

Its quite simple to see what pins are required to utilise the audio input. Then all i did was dismantle a IPOD Belkin Power Line Adaptor and install the circuit board in this centre module - there is quite a bit of space, it fits really well. I obviously took the power from the rear of the cig socket too. Then just fed the wire up into the centre console where the ipod lives.

Put it all back together and plug the dummy plug in the socket to make it work - you will have one input when the ignition is off (this will be DVD audio if you have the dealer fit system) and then the ipod (or whatever is plugged into the aux socket) when the ignition key is on.

I am really sorry i didnt take pics - BUT other than a "near 2nd imput" the removal of the jack from the kids feet is the best part of this mod

Do contact me if you need more info

Cheers

W
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #1954524th Sep 2005 2:34 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Thanks for that - I've just had a satisfactory test 'yank' of the unit (perhaps I should re-phrase that...) to see the plugs and the void behind.

Have to source a small torx (?sp) screwdrive for those ickle star screws before the ipod adaptor arrives next month.

One remaining Q - is there a good way to take the console apart so that one can route the wire through the bottom of the hinge rather than drilling out a hole in the interior?

thanks,
lex

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1956324th Sep 2005 6:36 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DrLex wrote:
Have to source a small torx (?sp) screwdrive for those ickle star screws before the ipod adaptor arrives next month

Which iPod adaptor are you getting ? I just bought the Belkin unit that has a cradle for the mini (on a gooseneck) and cigar lighter adaptor with audio out. Fed wire along side of centre box (pushes underneath quite easily). Only thing is the wire then has to come out to connect to the AUX socket in the rear of the centre console.

-s

Post #1956724th Sep 2005 7:46 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

It's the belkin adaptor that is just a connector for the ipod on one end and a cigarette lighter and aux. 3.5mm output (albeit with lie out levels, due to a mini-amp.) on the other. I've ordered it from the Apple website, but the order is delayed until the ipod nano accessories are available in mid-October.
I'd like to have a similar arrangement to Woodman - have the connector in the centre console box, so that the ipod sits on the tray.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1957024th Sep 2005 8:25 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah... was in our excellent Retail Store last week and saw these (not for nano yet though)... went for the one with the gooseneck cradle and it works very well. Only thing is it gets in the way of the heated rear / front screen buttons. But they are still accessible for a quick press should one need in the winter.

Did discover that the stereo only goes to 35 and is a tad quiet for some tracks. Output from the 3.5mm jack is a bit low maybe. Never needed to go to 35 with the CD player.

-s

Post #1957424th Sep 2005 9:26 pm
woodman438

simon - hence using the belkin adaptor with built in adjustable preamp!! There is a volume control on it which if turned up full is the same volume as the cd player.

The gooseneck arm just utilises the line out from the dock connector and is not boosted (i think!)

DrLex - i didnt drill the hole out, managed to squeeze it down the same hole that the Factory PTI cable goes through (although had to desolder the wires from the pcb in the belkin adaptor which is a bit fiddley!)

Post #1968625th Sep 2005 11:12 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Right, got all the bits and had the LR unit out and dismantled.

Then realised my soldering iron has emigrated along with the last person to borrow it.

How standard is that green six pin audio connector on to the unit? I ask, as I was wondering whether I can get away with using a through plug and crimping tool to take the place of soldering?

(I reckon I can tie the 12V lines to the ends of the lighter unit before replacing the orange connector).

Lack of soldering also make it easier to remove if required for 'warranty' repair....

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2349317th Oct 2005 9:42 pm
woodman438

drlex - if you go straight onto the plug and bypass the socket then you loose the switch function of the "sort of 2nd input"

it will work though and its a bog standard connector which you can find in RS or most computer component places

Post #2349917th Oct 2005 10:27 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Grand - I'll check out the local ICE shop later in the week (Tandy closed down about 3 years ago and Maplin hit you for postage on small orders).
Not too fussed about losing the switch function of the socket - my children are both too young to have ipods and the DVD player is a cheap 'strap-to-headrest-and-plug-in-headphones' jobbie.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2350217th Oct 2005 10:43 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Has anyone else tried this?

I am in the process of doing it but without success. Power to the iPod is fine but I must be connecting the wrong terminals between the AUX pcb and the Belkin pcb.

Looks like I will be buying new ones and reverting to the old set
up Crying or Very sad

Post #515671st Apr 2006 8:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >