DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Sand testing at Krom elmboog
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
Sounds like a great excuse for a Censored up Thumbs Up

Do you think we will get "pass" two weekends in a row? I guess its worth a try.

SOME of us will Wink

Post #51042722nd Aug 2009 6:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

No facilities at Krom elmboog. So whatever you need you will have to take along.

Will have some feedback tomorrow. A recce planned for the 16th of August had to be cancelled as the river's level was to high and Krom elmboog could not be reached.

Post #51071123rd Aug 2009 5:37 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

hls wrote:
river's level was to high and Krom elmboog could not be reached.

How krom is this elmboog Question
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #51073823rd Aug 2009 7:03 pm
hls

Recce confirmed for this weekend. Will drive there the Saturday morning and camp overnight. Maxtrax and recover gear allready loaded.

SWAMBO and kids are coming along so that they can comment on the suitability of the trip as a family outting. Hope to issue a report Sunday evening.

Post #52043315th Sep 2009 7:11 pm
Deondef

Any further developments itr Question Question Question
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Post #53522716th Oct 2009 6:50 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Deon, the weekend hasn't started yet Embarassed

Post #53544216th Oct 2009 4:39 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Could combine a big safari with some footy next year???
Not sure I could take a month off work though Sad
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #53546716th Oct 2009 5:24 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I imagine this place would be quite lonely. Lots of people I know are fleeing the country next June to avoid the crowds and chaos

Post #53571417th Oct 2009 6:20 am
hls

Deondef wrote:
Any further developments itr Question Question Question

Deon,

Recce done on the 19th and 20th of September.

The round trip from Burgersfort is around 90km. The route is not registered and there are no camping or other facilities. You basically drive along the Olifants river and identify a site that would be suitable for camping, set up camp and enjoy the evening in the bush.

The cost is R100 which you need to pay to the local Kgosi (or chief). The R100 apparently qualifies you for access to "his" river for a full year. Tradition dictates that you buy a couple of beers from the local shebeen before starting with the route.

The first part of the route covers rocky terrain, but nothing that the D3 cannot handle with ease. The bush is somewhat overgrown in places and minor racing stripes (or kalahari stripes) will bear testimony that you have been off road. (Judging from the scratches on your D3 when we did the Hennops this should not be a problem for you).

After travelling for around 2km you enter the Olifants River. You can then travel up river for about 25km before you reach a point where you cannot cross due to large rocks.

The first vehicle (a Toyota) got properly stuck within the first 200m. Recovery was done with my winch. The only recovery gear necessary is a winch. We never used a kinetic rope, but once had to dig out a Toyota that sunk up to its diff. I got stuck with the D3 a couple (4) of times but recovery was fairly easy with the winch. I played around with the terrain response and set it in rock crawl mode to test whether the diff would lock sooner but this did not work. The going was much better in sand mode. I started with tyre pressures of 1.5 bar and later adjusted to 1.1 bar but still got stuck at the lower pressures. Getting stuck was always as a result of insufficient momentum.

The sand is coarse and vehicles only got bogged down in the wet sand. No problem on the dry stuff. You can immediately feel when you are about to get stuck. Putting foot just resulted in the D3 (and other vehicles) digging in. So the modus operandi was to immediately stop and call for another vehicle to serve as recovery point for the winch. The sand was later described as rapid hardening cement. It was remarkable how a vehicle would get bogged down a couple on inches from where another vehicle passed without any hassels. In the areas where I got stuck, I would sink into the sand up to knee height when I stepped out of the vehicle.

Seeing that the route follows the Olifants River, there is a lot of water. The water is however no deeper than the D3s wading depth and never posed a problem.

Scenery is remarkable. I enjoyed the fact that there are basically no people as this is not a registered 4x4 trail but an area "discovered" by the locals. Cattle and donkeys roam the area.

The wife and kids enjoyed the trip and I can definately recommend it, You need to be at least 5 vehicles of which at least 2 should be equipped with a winch.

Only problem is that the area is only accessable for a certain period of the year (normally August and September) before the annual rain results in the water levels rising. I again visited the area this weekend and the water had already risen to a point where we could only travel for about 6km. Travelling the 6km took about 2 hours due to vehicles getting bogged down.

Pics to follow.

Post #53791621st Oct 2009 6:37 pm
heine

Trip I did in the Olifants years ago

http://heine.nusa.co.za/OlifantsRiver/OlifantsIndex.htm

Post #53794121st Oct 2009 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

Sounds good Thumbs Up

Ito winch equipped vehicles - Anthony and Heine must go - neither has used their winches yet Rolling with laughter

It is now a matter of deciding on a week-end Question I'll start the bidding : November 7/8 or 14/15 or 21/22

Post #53813022nd Oct 2009 5:40 am
heine

Can't do 7/8 OK for the other 2

Post #53813722nd Oct 2009 6:07 am
hls

Heine, had a look at your pics. It is up stream from where we went. Conditions were however similar. The 25km trip took us around 6 hours.

Not sure that November will work? If is rains upstream it could become dangerous. The locals were very nervous when we went last Sunday due to rainfall in the area the Saturday night.

Post #53846022nd Oct 2009 4:37 pm
hls

Deondef wrote:
Sounds good Thumbs Up

Ito winch equipped vehicles - Anthony and Heine must go - neither has used their winches yet Rolling with laughter

It is now a matter of deciding on a week-end Question I'll start the bidding : November 7/8 or 14/15 or 21/22

Heine, I see you have aquired a new vehicle? Where is the Safari snorkel? You may need it if we go in November.

Post #53847122nd Oct 2009 4:52 pm
heine

Put LR RAI on instead (must update avatar)

Post #53857122nd Oct 2009 7:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >