Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Public Transportation in Sydney
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Andy V6SE

Australia 
Public Transportation in Sydney

Can any local give some info and advice when travel public transport in Sydney. In my 2c memory, it's better than Melbourne...

My plan is to drive and get a nicer/cheaper hotel around 10-20km outside the CBD but gf doesn't want to spend so much time in the disco and wants to fly.

We'll need to know if there is a significant reduction in the weekend timetable (hate it in Mel) and the price and convenience of trams/trains/buses there to make the final decision.

Thanks!

Post #2543713rd Feb 2008 2:47 pm
White Disco

Australia 

For about $15 a day you can get a train/ferry/govt bus ticket. It covers these modes of transport for a day.

How cheap do you want??
Formula 1 at Enfield (South Strathfield), is on the Hume Hwy (Liverpool Rd) & about $75/night for 2. It's about a 20 minute walk to Strathfield station, which is like Richmond & Nth Melbourne stations here combined. You can get just about anywhere in Syd ,by train, from Strathfield.

Service frequency & punctuallity is about equal to Melbourne Shocked Surprised Rolling Eyes (Maybe sometimes worse).

The Metropolitan rail service is more far reaching than Melbourne (More km of track).

On the NRL Grand Final weekend the step-daughters & I went to Parramatta to ride the ferry into Circular Quay.

We trained it out to Parra so as we could get the ferry back and see the city from the water. Alas after walking down to the ferry terminal a note was posted saying that: "Todays Services Have Been Cancelled. Due To Lack Of Staff."/Interest/Brains Rolling Eyes This on one of the cities major event days with it flowing over with tourists.

There are no trams in Syd; but they do have a light-rail service to the Darling Habour area and beyond toward Balmain. This service, along with the mono-rail, are operated by a French sewerage & rubbish company. You may know this company as.......................................

Veolia

OR

*GULP*

Connex. Thud Big Cry Rolling Eyes Shocked Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Dr. Evil Dr. Evil Banging Head Banging Head Cactus Pig
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2545943rd Feb 2008 10:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy V6SE

Australia 

Thank you Red Disco!

I forgot to ask how's the parking in Sydney CBD? I can imagine it's hell just like any big cities Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Apart from Strathfield station, what are other major stations there (e.g. South Yarra, Caulfield, Camberwell station in Mel)? We might need to find a hotel near.

Thanks again~

Post #2546454th Feb 2008 12:09 am
White Disco

Australia 

Sydney CBD parking Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Don't do it unless you have an open limited credit card. Laughing
The only time in the last 10 years I tried to park in Syd CBD it was $50/day on a Saturday Rolling Eyes & that was actually in Miller st Nth Sydney. (I drove to Rhodes station, parked for free and discovered I could buy the above mentioned ticket there Very Happy )

Other big stations (junction stations) include Parramatta, Blacktown, Regents Park, Hornsby & Bankstown amongst others.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2546514th Feb 2008 12:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I live about 5K from the city and catch a bus or train into the city about $4.00 return off peak. You can get cheaper parking in the city on Sundays. You could drive to stations closer like St Peters and get free parking then train or bus it in. Parking in Sydney during the week is very expensive as Red Disco says. Cost me $37 for just over 2 hours during business hours.

Why would you want to stay 20k outside Sydney? The M5 and M4 are chockers in the morning and from about 3.30 in the arvo. Check out www.lastmiute.com.au or similar site, you may pick up something closer and at a reasonable rate.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2546674th Feb 2008 1:56 am
trikki

Australia 

I drive everywhere in Sydney for several reasons - I don't like to walk and like to park at the door, I love being in my D3 - its clean (reasonably) I can listen to whatever I like, eat what ever I like and don't (usually) have to sit next to some dirty smelly undesirable and I like to be free to be able to do things when I want not stressed and tied to a timetable

Public transport in Sydney is DISGUSTING. The trains are filthy, don't run on time and if they do they are over crowded. The buses are also unreliable - either they don't turn up or when they do they too are crowded or ten arrive at once. The only empty buses I've driven past are the "fast" t-way busses but these are $1.80 for one section up to $5.80 for 16 sections one way (Liverpool to Parramatta would be 16 sections). I used to catch the Parramatta - Darling Harbour jetcat quite often until it got stuck one night and the passengers were stuck for over 5 hours waiting for a higher tide - no toilets no food

It's a must to have a car in Sydney if you want to travel out of the CBD and be able to do things on your timetable. Most city accomodation have parking facilities these range fom free to around $15 per day.

I love Melbourne's transport system - nothing compares to it for convenience, price and reliability

Post #2547434th Feb 2008 11:22 am
White Disco

Australia 

trikki wrote:

I love Melbourne's transport system - nothing compares to it for convenience, price and reliability

Hmmmhmh Thud Rolling with laughter Big Cry Censored Censored

Grass is always greener. Wink
From an insiders point of view Sydney's system is far more flexible. The ability to route trains toward a central location, via different routes, makes it far superior. One crook signal can cripple Melbourne's peak. Rolling Eyes
Even though I lived in Sydney for 2 years and visit at least 4 times a year I'm somewhat intimidated by the traffic. Traffic jams on a Sunday. Shocked
But we are catching up fast, in the jam stakes, right here in li'l ol' Melbourne. Wink

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2547464th Feb 2008 11:27 am
trikki

Australia 

The problem with Sydney's routing trains to a central loction is that they don't stop there they go through. All of the lines run through central - north to west, south to east. We too have the problem with one incident can upset the whole rail network. You must be very easy going if you think Sydney's rail system is flexble. At least you can use your very cheap ticket (wel it was the last time I was in Melbourne) for trains as well as trams.

Must admit Sydney traffic is quite bad. Sunday traffic jams - thats because we are all rushing out to catch some sun rays to dry our feet

Post #2547704th Feb 2008 12:22 pm
Andy V6SE

Australia 

Thanks everyone!

We have booked 3 nights (Fri-Mon) in Parramatta. Yes, we know it's a bit further out of the CBD but the hotels there are considerably cheaper.

Some of you replies really scared us as we'll be relying on trains/ferries to CBD. Now wish the best and hope nothing goes wrong. Any idea or experiences on how this line run?

Post #2547944th Feb 2008 1:04 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Choice of ferry or rail. Station & terminal are about 3 streets from each other. Rail is well served. The ferry can be a little more uncertain. Parramatta is a CBD in itself.

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2551544th Feb 2008 11:10 pm
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As suggested earlier, buy a day tripper ticket and your can use it to catch any modes of public transport for a day. I occasionally take my kids to the city via the Parramatta ferry, it is relatively scenic and would heartily recommend it to any visitors. I believe it leaves every hour. I love my Sydney... it has a bit of everything!! Admittedly public transport can be improved.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #2552175th Feb 2008 1:26 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

DiscoAtom wrote:
I love my Sydney... it has a bit of everything!!

Theft, Murder, rape, prostitution, drug dealing, assault, etc, etc, etc

Wink
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2552545th Feb 2008 8:39 am
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Parramatta is on the main line..............good choice!

Enjoy your stay!!!
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #2552895th Feb 2008 10:33 am
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi there

I would certainly use helitours.com.au again :
http://www.helitours.com.au/SydHarbour.html
or
http://www.sydneyhelicopters.com.au/tours.html

here are some pics "to the office"

cheers

I am a great Opera House Fan, if you did not noticed ..
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #2552935th Feb 2008 10:40 am
White Disco

Australia 

I see You captured some of Sydney's scummier suburbs as well. Wink

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2553125th Feb 2008 11:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >