Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Soaring Used Prices and New D3 or D4 Choice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
EdF

Scotland 2006 LR3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldLR3
Soaring Used Prices and New D3 or D4 Choice.

Having sold my D3 base '06 manual, Senior Management has persuaded me (it wasn't hard) to buy a later auto.. Trouble is, since April when I bought the last D3, used prices have gone nuts, I expect some of you have noticed... Crazy prices are being asked for high mileage motors out of warranty (and I saw £15,950 being asked for a D2!!) and I don't intend to play that game as sooner or later the prices will level out, or drop, once OPEC sends fuel prices up again, as they have promised once the recession ends, or interest rates rise, or whatever else is causing it stops...
There seems to be a general shortage of used motors of all types, and has anyone any idea why?? Judging by local dealers forecourts this week (new reg.), they have sold loads of new cars, is it the scrappage scheme having a knock-on effect (which I can't figure) or is it low interest rates? It seems we have bad inflation in the car market. I have old copies of Parkers Price Guide and between April and August used D3 prices went up about £2,000, and other cars in proportion. I've never known that happen before.

There's roughly a £5500 difference between a new D3 and a D4 of similar spec. but the D4 is pushing my financial limits.. I'm slightly concerned that D3 values will drop once the D4 becomes established, but maybe the initial price difference will make up for that. Ignoring the fact that the D4 is no doubt a better motor and more desirable.. The D4 having a choice of 2.7 or 3.0 engines I find odd (is it an extra-price option which doesn't cost LR much, though?) and does the 2.7 D4 still have the single turbo? Hate the new grille, though. The new D3 is about £28,500 after discounts, which I think may be a better bet than a 2 year old one for £19k - £20k.
Having sold my Nov. '06 D3 for spot-on the Parkers 'private sale' price of £14k three weeks ago, I now find I can't buy an auto of similar condition and year for less than £18k, which is a tad annoying.. I think applying to Parkers for financial assistance due to their inaccuracies may be a waste of time, though..
 Make the most of this life, you may not have a Landy or skis in the next one.
2xS3, 1xD1, 3xD2, 2xD3, 2x110, 2x90TDi, 4x90V8, 4x90TD5.
Now: Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG, D3 auto gold.
That's the wife's toyboy. 

Post #5147703rd Sep 2009 10:29 am
hc76

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi all, I have recently joined as I am looking to buy a D3 or D4.

My original plan was to get a good deal on the last of the D3 (new or nearly new) but there doesn't seem to be any exciting deals around at the moment. I've been quoted £34k for a brand new D3 XS auto. Interestly on a 3 year contract hire a D4 XS is only £30/month more than a D3 XS. They tell me this is because the D4 will have better residuals in 3 years time.

Not sure what to do now... get the new D3 even though it's more than I expected, upgrade to a D4 because it's not a lot more money (I much prefer the idea of the 3 litre engine but am worried about how many issues there will be with a 'brand new model') or hang on for a few months and try and get a deal on a nearly new D3 then.

The last option is probably the sensible one but the warranty is about to expire on my current navara (yuk) and I would like to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

Not sure whether to contract hire or hp either..... decisions decisions

Post #5148033rd Sep 2009 11:44 am
EdF

The D4 isn't really a 'brand new model', more of a facelift IMHO, believe the 3 litre is the same engine with increased capacity and an extra 'sequential' turbo which cuts in when you floor it... I've just (5 mins ago) spoken to the dealer I would use (Oggs, DSL!) and the GS is the lowest spec. model of the D3 'run-outs'. He said there were several hundred D3's left which may last about 2 months. The D3 GS spec. wasn't bad, and good enough for us, colour coded arches and bumpers, cruise, alloys, climate. An auto would be about £29,700. SE was about £38500 which was too strong for me. Interesting your point about the PCP, but it seems you can't wait too long for a D3. Just going to check how much a base D4 auto is..

Post #5148113rd Sep 2009 11:55 am
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A D4 GS is at £31995

Looke at one last week. It has a few more toys that my current GS D3 Thumbs Up
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #5148163rd Sep 2009 12:06 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

EdF - I've been looking at prices for D3's on a regular basis for about 8 months now. I agree with you that the prices of used cars just seems silly at the moment - although some are more silly than other. To me, it is the most recent secondhand D3's (ie, 2007 and 2008) that look more interesting than

So in very rough and ready terms (this is not scientific) for an HSE, say, £24k for a 2006 seems overpriced when you can get a 2008 for £30k. And £45k for a D4 seems far too much in that context too.

Having said that, I looked at a GS D4 on Monday (very briefly) and I reckon I could settle for one of those - but parked next to a late D3 HSE it might look expensive!

I would hope that D3 prices will soften (fuel going up around 4p per litre this week might do something) in due course but how long that would take I really don't know

Post #5148183rd Sep 2009 12:09 pm
EdF

Further oop than you, tha naws!!

Just checked the prices for GS autos, concurring with the kergan.
All new autos with metallic paint.
D3 'run out' £29700, D4 2.7 £34024, D4 3.0 £36.524.

That LR main website online brochure is a pain to operate and read..

I forgot to mention in my first post that an accountant friend who works for a major VW/Audi dealership told us that their buyer is paying retail prices to buy-in stock at auctions.
Spoke to a main LR dealer in Sussex, told me that trade-in D3's are selling 'within hours' with him..

Post #5148203rd Sep 2009 12:18 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As an owner I do not have a problem with used prices increasing as I probably would be buying a new vehicle to replace it.

My local Land Rover dealer has just put up a large sign saying that they after vehicles to buy.

This is I assume because they are unable to get sufficient vehicles as trade-ins to support the demand for used vehicles.

Post #5148233rd Sep 2009 12:36 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Passing through the BMW dealer the other day with Mrs R's car, I saw the same model (admittedly plus about £3k of options) on the forecourt for over £6k more than we paid for hers brand new back in January... Perhaps I shall solve the tyre dilemma by seeing what Hartwells will offer me against a D4 Smile

Martin

Post #5148333rd Sep 2009 12:58 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There is something very strange going on. I've just used the online valuation from Glass's Guide. My MY2008.5 XS registered in January is showing:-

Trade-in - excellent: £24,751.00
Trade-in - average: £21,750.00
Trade-in - below average: £19,001.00
Dealer Retail price: £28,250.00
Private Sale price: £24,750.00

I then went to webuyanycar.com and they have offered £26,355.

webuyanycar.com are not renowned for their generous valuations so why they are repared to offer more than the Glass's Guide price is beyond me.

Post #5148433rd Sep 2009 1:26 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

webuyanycar are linked to carcraft, so maybe they have buyers on their books so they know they can give a preferential valuation as it will be sold on within days, so it is not dead money to them for any extended period Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5148453rd Sep 2009 1:30 pm
Spikey

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I wonder if many dealers have a shortage of good second hand motors. Last week my wife received a letter from our local Honda dealer (from whom we bought a new civic hybrid 3 years ago), offering us the chance to buy a new car at the Honda wholesale price, because they want her current car as they are so desperately short of second hand vehicles...

Post #5148603rd Sep 2009 2:04 pm
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Forget GS

What would you pay for

HSE 09MY (Nov09) 24K miles

rear entertainment
Hybrid TV
Ipod connectivity
rear aircon
Adaptive xenons
body pack
centre console fridge
side steps
removeable tow bar & electrics
privacy glass

?? Whistle
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #5148933rd Sep 2009 3:10 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Heyloft, are you Dr Who?
For a car that hasn't been on the road yet (Nov 09) it's done a fair few miles Laughing
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #5150153rd Sep 2009 6:33 pm
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BCC,

I think the answer may be in the last 3 letters of the reg number......WTF Shocked Shocked
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #5150323rd Sep 2009 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah yes well I Censored
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #5150433rd Sep 2009 7:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top