Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 with XENON LIGHTS or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
D4 with XENON LIGHTS or not

Just read the thread "XENON LIGHTS OR NOT?" on the D3, and am now thoroughly confused.

I currently have the TDV6SE - which according to that thread has Xenon only on the outer lights - not on high beam.

I drive at night quite often on narrow streets and love the lights - especially on high beam - of my D3.
However the D4s coming this year into Australia do NOT have Xenon lights on the 2.7 liter Diesel model - which is the sensibly priced one.

Now don't get me wrong, I know the Xenon lights also come with a bigger and better engine, but at a cost of AUD $10,000.

Here is my dilemma: we currently have some tax breaks Down Under on new car purchases to help save the economy. But the car must be delivered before December 31 if I want to do my part (and I really do, especially save the one in the UK! Wink ).

If I order Xenons as an option, the car won't get here before January - and the tax break is gone.

So is there really much of a difference in brightness? Is there any difference on high beam? Is the difference on low beam very noticeable? Or can that be solved with some after market bulbs (preferably without blinding oncoming traffic)? Has anyone driven both in the dark to make a realistic comparison?

Any input to help me save the economy would be great! Thanks,
Smile
sgk

(PS.: and yes, I was toying with the idea to 'waste' the tax break on the bigger engine - it's just that the budget won't stretch quite that far - i need the tax break to come down from $80,000, not from $90,000)
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #52245920th Sep 2009 2:27 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: D4 with XENON LIGHTS or not

SGK wrote:
I currently have the TDV6SE - which according to that thread has Xenon only on the outer lights - not on high beam.
Not sure what thread that is but they're Halogen + Xenon on high beam, when you switch to high beam the halogen comes on and the shutter on the xenon lamp moves to put that into high beam mode. The halogen lamp is there to supplement the xenon as it can come on much quicker than the shutter can move (though we're talking milliseconds here), when you flash your lights only the halogen illuminates. Low beam is xenon only.

Personally speaking I wouldn't go back to a halogen only vehicle, the xenons are far superior
 The End  
Post #52247120th Sep 2009 3:03 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Declaration of interest Whistle
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #52252120th Sep 2009 6:41 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Eh? Confused
 The End  
Post #52257120th Sep 2009 8:05 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Bi-xenons are an option on the 2.7 in Oz. Why not get the dealer to see if its not too late to get a production vehicle changed.

My vehicle had to be re-ordered due to having been built with incorrect configuration and will now likely arrive early January. In late November my accountant will apply to the ATO for a private ruling to allow vehicle details (normally the rego# or VIN) to be supplied after 31/12, as the "equipment" doesn't have to be "installed" until 31/12/10.

Post #52262920th Sep 2009 9:14 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had crossed bi-xenons off my must-have list after finding out that a lot of Oz D3 owners with bi-xenons still fit driving lights as the bi-xenons still don't have enough depth. After having recently fitted a cheap HID kit to the driving lights on my D2a and finding a massive increase in light output, I plan to fit a cheap HID kit to the D4 halogen high beams rather than fit driving lights, even with bi-xenons already fitted.

Post #52267020th Sep 2009 10:48 pm
Techo

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

It is my understanding that you only need to have entered into a contract to acquire the asset prior to 31/12, not actually paid for or received it, hence why the "installed by date" being a year later for capital equipment that has long lead times etc. From the ATO Site:
Investment commitment time

To be eligible for the tax break, you need to commit to investing in an eligible depreciating asset between 13 December 2008 and 31 December 2009. The time at which you commit to investing in the asset is known as the 'investment commitment time'.
Small business entities need to commit to investing in an asset between 13 December 2008 and 31 December 2009 to qualify for the 50% deduction and meet all other eligibility criteria.

Generally, when you acquire a new asset, the investment commitment time will be the point in time when you have:

entered into a contract under which you hold the asset or will start to hold at some point in time
started to construct the asset, or
started to hold the asset in some other way.

Hope that helps...

Post #52267620th Sep 2009 11:22 pm
SGK

Hi there,
thanks for the answers. Slimer, now I finally clearly understand how this works. Explains why my lights are so much better than the one's on my wife's XC70.
Now I'll have to talk to the accountant. He told me cars "must be delivered" prior to 2010 - which was also the understanding I had from an ATO leaflet and after browsing their wbsite. But I haven't seen that explanation above. Graeme, why would you need a private ruling then? Seems your commitment is already demonstrated by the contract?
Smile
sgk
Post #52268320th Sep 2009 11:42 pm
Techo

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Graeme/SGK definitely take your own advice (and I'd be interested to know the outcome) , but heres a further extract from the ATO web site:

Small business entities

To qualify for the 50% deduction, you must:

be a small business entity for the income year in which you commit to the investment, put the asset to use or claim the tax break
commit to investing in the asset between 13 December 2008 and 31 December 2009
meet your 'new investment threshold', and
first use the asset or have it installed ready for use, or (in the case of new investment in an existing asset) bring the asset to its modified or improved state, on or before 31 December 2010.

Post #52268821st Sep 2009 12:01 am
SGK

Damn ... and just when I thought there was a Xenon light at the end of the tunnel ... Whistle
Smile
Post #52269021st Sep 2009 12:06 am
SGK

Ok, just called LR dealer in Melbourne - seems like you can not replace the basic lamps with the Xenon ones unless they are factory installed. There goes that hope, too ... Big Cry
Post #52269121st Sep 2009 12:12 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I think you will find that the dealer is misleading you there......the headlamp units are identical sizes, so a swap from halogen to xenon units is very straightforward. No doubt, though, they will make you pay through the nose in Oz for the xenons from the parts department.

Post #52291721st Sep 2009 6:28 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

unless TLO can help and the longest courier network request? Whistle

I have 2 friends going to OZ in 7 weeks time, i'll gladly offer their services.... Rolling with laughter
 one wife.......livid  
Post #52292421st Sep 2009 6:46 pm
SGK

$1900 for the right light, $1900 for the left side, based on D3 prices ...
Post #52315722nd Sep 2009 1:56 am
SGK

Embarassed - may be I should read properly and then write. We are in the year 2009 - not 2010. So all I have to do is order before January ...
So there is a Xenon light in sight, after all.
Now I just have to convince myself that I really don't need the bigger engine ... Wink
Does anyone know if the 2.7 litre engine is exactly the same or if it has been tweaked to cut fuel consumption?
Being very environmentally aware I feel that I owe the environment the bigger engine to save extra fuel Wink
But the budget is still an issue ...
Smile
Steffan
Post #52316122nd Sep 2009 5:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >