DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting D4 tailgate handle with camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Fitting D4 tailgate handle with camera

Did this a few months back but as I now have a regular supply of handles with camera thought it time to entice you all....

As you know the D4 comes with a reversing camera option, same tailgate handle as the D3 but with a fitted camera. There are some that have fitted their own camera to D3 handles but if you want a slightly easier option or want the factory fitted look I think this is the best way

The D4 handle I got came in Nara Bronze, this wasn't a problem though as once I'd removed the existing handle (see the ladder fitting instructions on OwnerInfo if you are unsure how) it was a simple task to swap over the handle covers, there are just 2 screws and a few clips holding the cover on

The D3 handle comes with a 4 way connector for the power and switch, the D4 one comes with a 6 way connector - the two extra pins are for the camera power

Obviously the D3 has a 4 pin socket so in order to fit the new handle with camera I pulled the 'guts' out of both swapping the switch and all the wiring (for the switch and number plate lights) over. If you spend a few minutes looking at it is easy to work out which cable ties to cut and where to use a well placed flat blade screwdriver to lever the parts out

I cut the two wires for the camera power from the D4 plug and fitted the D3 parts into the D4 handle along with the camera. The camera comes with about 6" of cable with a fakra connector on the end, there is an extra channel in the handle for this cable and the power wires to run along.

Unfortunately the other photos I took haven't come out (time for a new digital camera too!) but in brief I got the handle fitted and run cables for the video and power. For power I connected into the +ve for the trailer reversing lights so the camera is powered whenever reverse is selected, I did a bit of testing with a switchable PSU and it seems the camera will work on anything from 5 to 12V Confused . For the video signal I ran RG174 cable right through to the Nav screen and put a Fakra connector on each end and connected the camera to the screen, the Fakra connectors are a pain to get hold of (though I do now have a source if there's enough demand) so you could just cut it off and use a more standard connector instead on the camera end then something like Wiggs has used here on the nav screen end if that's what you intend to connect it to.

I'll take some photos tomorrow of the installed camera and the view it gives on the nav screen via the diagnostic menus - which is currently the only way to view it though I'm looking into alternatives as it could be plugged into any screen. I'm working on a more permanent 'carputer' install so will probably end up integrating it into that along with a few other cameras.

If anyone wants a tailgate handle with camera they are £200 + P&P (£10 in the UK)
 The End  
Post #56508914th Dec 2009 9:21 pm
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

looks great, would be fab if there was a way to have the screen select the camera input when you put it in reverse. - I'm guessing thats the way it was intended to be used Smile
 56 HSE  
Post #56510414th Dec 2009 9:36 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, the screen has the input and diagnostic tests for it but even if enabled in the CCF there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to automatically display. I guess as it was never fully implemented LR didn't finish the software
 The End  
Post #56512314th Dec 2009 9:47 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Already had my D3 rear handle fill with water and b*gger up the tailgate operation.
When they changed the handle they also swapped over my original handle cover [cos it's silver] so it just shows it can be done!
But one issue though!
This handle unit was changed in June [now for the second time] because of water ingress.
Even so, I had the mechanism freeze on me the other morning.
So that says water is still getting into the unit.
AFAIC, this appears to be the main reason why tailgates fail to open.
So how will this camera unit stand up to water ingress ?
Very expensive I reckon, unless LR fix this problem.
Sorry if I've just chucked a 'spanner in the works', but that's how it is.

Going into dealer tomorrow [for a no cost fix afaic].
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #56513114th Dec 2009 10:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The camera itself is a sealed unit and has a waterproof connector so it should be fine

By doing this mod you'll end up with a spare switch so with a spot of soldering you could replace it yourself if needs be in future

Ron, I'd check if the rubber cover for the switch is seated properly, the rest of the switch is sealed but if it gets past the cover it will lead to corrosion. As the cover is the bit you actually touch to operate the switch it could be possible to dislodge it
 The End  
Post #56513814th Dec 2009 10:14 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

just a quick idea for Rev cam auto switching....

NavTV make an aux input lead for the disco3 - i think (but please check first!) that the input is switched on/off by a rocker switch....

how about using that for the camera input & replacing the rocker switch with a relay triggered from reverse signal?

might be worth some investigation....

EDIT.....

just checked navtv site - their product works differently, must of been the celcius part i was thinking about, (no longer available!)

Last edited by kernowexpeditionaryforce on 14th Dec 2009 10:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #56514114th Dec 2009 10:15 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That would work, unfortunately the price of the NavTV makes it an expensive option
 The End  
Post #56514514th Dec 2009 10:18 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can the camera be fitted on its own or do you need to change the whole inside gubbins ? ...ie if i had a D4 camera ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #56514614th Dec 2009 10:18 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:

Ron, I'd check if the rubber cover for the switch is seated properly, the rest of the switch is sealed but if it gets past the cover it will lead to corrosion. As the cover is the bit you actually touch to operate the switch it could be possible to dislodge it

Thanks Si, I'll remember that in case they want to charge me tomorrow. Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #56514714th Dec 2009 10:18 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Wiggs, the D4 handle and camera housing are moulded to fit each other, I'm sure you could make the camera fit a D3 handle but it take a bit of work. Anyway, I'm fairly confident you'll find the camera alone will cost you more than I can sell you both for Very Happy
 The End  
Post #56515414th Dec 2009 10:29 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Wiggs, If you can sort it to work when you select reverse I'd be in!. Can you not trigger it from a reverse light source?
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #56515614th Dec 2009 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Cheers ..will have to wait and see what my contact comes back with Whistle

Looking forward to pics of the viwing angle Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #56515714th Dec 2009 10:32 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Wiggs, "who ya gonna call?"....... Rolling with laughter
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #56515814th Dec 2009 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spooky

United Kingdom 

NeilD wrote:
... who ya gonna call? ...

Those boys in their old ambulance haven't found me yet!!! Whistle

BTW - like the idea ... I too am waiting for pics of the 'view' before I decide. Thumbs Up
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #56519415th Dec 2009 12:05 am
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Some PICS in Thriftwood's gallery Whistle

Post #56525715th Dec 2009 8:48 am