Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Halogen to Xenon Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Halogen to Xenon Conversion

has anyone tried these packages - are they any good?

http://www.xenonshop.co.uk/vb_product.php?id=8

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #56843121st Dec 2009 4:25 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Forget it, makes the beam pattern illegal. Just buy new or used D4 Xenon lamp units and plug them straight in in place of the Halogens as with the D3 upgrade.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #56843621st Dec 2009 4:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Cheers Andy - that's what I wanted to know. Very Happy

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #56843921st Dec 2009 4:43 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Have you considered replacing the halogen high beam with an HID kit?

Post #56933423rd Dec 2009 10:03 am
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
HID Conversion

Content removed
Commercial Posting Rules

Post #56969123rd Dec 2009 9:44 pm
hids4u

that was not meant as a commercial posting in anyway and referred to technical information in response to another members question

If my user name wasnt hids4u i am sure you would not have deleted it. i didnt join this forum to sell products and as you will see never posted any commercial listing or reference

Assuming you dont delete this one

If you are to go to HID lights then dont go for adaptive units as the wiring and controls are too hard.
You can fit a canbus type HID kit - but investigate antigalre H7R type bulbs otherwise you will glare and blind other road users

Post #56971223rd Dec 2009 10:31 pm
livestronguk

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi this is a question for Andy. Where can you buy D4 xenon units? I have phoned a few dealers with no luck.
Thanks,

George

Post #5965444th Feb 2010 12:34 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I would try Nick at Yeovil LR first Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #5966024th Feb 2010 8:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
livestronguk

Thanks for the info Andy.
George

Post #5966734th Feb 2010 10:20 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I know of one pair of D4 xenons come from LR direct for a guy who was converting his D3 to look like D4. He also purchased new bumper, grill, wings etc.

If I get hold of any D4 xenons in future I'll post on 'for sale' section. D3 xenons are more likely though.

Post #5967064th Feb 2010 11:17 am
Ecosse

hids4u wrote:

If you are to go to HID lights then dont go for adaptive units as the wiring and controls are too hard.
You can fit a canbus type HID kit - but investigate antigalre H7R type bulbs otherwise you will glare and blind other road users

hids4u - perhaps from your trade knowledge you can help? Bow down - with the Xenon D3/D4 lights, there is a main/dipped xenon unit which is "very white", but there is also an auxiliary high beam unit separate but within the same main light housing.
This auxiliary light has a normal halogen bulb and as such creates a light that is not as "white" as the main lights. Are there any simple bulb upgrades that you know of that provide a white light similar to the Xenon lights - just from a cosmetic point of view rather than needing extra light! Likewise (may not be the case with D4) the D3 had side lights that were very "cream" coloured in comparison with the Xenons.
Just some general advice please - nothing that can be deemed to be commercial posting Shocked although you may find it worthwhile PM'ing Martin to see what terms he can offer you as a site sponsor if you think there is interest in such products & you can do "deals" for members Very Happy

Post #5967534th Feb 2010 12:35 pm
hids4u

No Commecial Posting

Laughing
hi all. the D4 has projector headlights and therefore it is very easy to convert these to xenons using a hid conversion kit. do a search on google uk and you will find retailers that sell these. I dont recommend fleabay.
you would need a quality kit that can work with the canbus - without overloading the circuit and damaging the ECU or causing other freak things like radio interferance with lights on, or airbag, abs and other lights coming on. i have even seen kits cause a defender to lock and unlock the doors all by itself Shocked
So buy a canbus kit - which is design to have very low start up current and no interferance (EMI)

There really is no point spending all that money for OEM xenons when you have projectors. the only benefit would be the bixenon function you get - but with the D3 and D4 given you have a decent separate main beam anyway the bixenon is not as noticable as with cars without this. for the real brave its probably possible to retrofit the bixenon also as this is just a shutter thats operated by a solenoid but will require you to separate the headlamp glass from body Confused

in theory the car needs to have headlight washers and self levelling suspension or headlamps. most d3s and d4s have this. if they dont buying oem lamps wont give you this anyway

no halogen bulb really matches the colour of real xenons - but some are quite close. ring sportz blue are the best i have seen but cant recall from memory if they do a h7. but for cosmetic reasons i dont see the sense as if you have main beam on with bixeon you cant see anything looking at the car.

it is possible to upgrade the high beam to hid xenon - and then you get more light and matched colour and is a good option for those covnerting the d4 projector to xenon to get bixenon

the yellow nasty sidelights can be upgraded very easily to w5w high power leds. these are amazing and look like daylight running lights. very white not blue.

if youre in the mood i actually upgraded my d2s oem xenon bulbs from 4300k (yellow white) to a whiter light. a good quality 5000 or 6000k i find much better for driving - albeit its slightly less lumens - its better reflection from signs, white lines and white light i find less tiring than the yellower oem. philips make a colour atch bulb which is 5000k - as xenon bulbs go bluer with age - if you replace one blown one with a new one you see big colour differences hence philips offer a colour match. its also a good way of selling 5000k legally as only 4300k has an e mark. i have some colour match in the car need to see if these have e mark.

for those with D3 and no projector - fitting the h7r bulb will give you xenons using the same headlights but no blinding people like normal h7 xenon bulbs. i have some pictures somewhere that really show the difference between h7 and h7r.

as of yet the requirement to have self levelling and washers is not an MOT requirment. there is an EU code that calls for them on new cars but nothing for used cars. in japan and the US many cars dont have washers nor self levelling.

i am an engineer, and it makes me smile really this whole discussion. the code doesnt make it law to have any water in the washer bottle, nor for you to actually wash the lights, nor that the self levellers need to be working.

i have an habit at looking at all cars with xenons, having sold them for over 5 years, and spotting the cheap glary covnersions and shaking my head. i can also admit that often the ones that give most glare coming up behind me on a motorway or accelerating towards me from the lights is infact not a conversion but OEM. Audi and BMW being the worst offenders.

all headlights should be cleaned and levelled and regularily checked. automatic systems can fail and in time will if not checked an mantained.

A halogen headlight that is too high causes glare. My pet hate are out of alignment headlights xenon or not.

i have emailed Martin and will be in touch about becoming a sponser

regards
ian

Post #5971854th Feb 2010 11:07 pm
Ecosse

Ian - excellent general posting on the lights thanks Thumbs Up I'm sure it will be of use to various members & doubtless there will be questions & those seeking further advice Very Happy
Hopefully if Martin can arrange site sponsorship status it will be a mutually beneficial "deal" for both you & members Wink

Post #5972925th Feb 2010 9:00 am
livestronguk

Ian, thanks very much for setting things out so clearly.

George

Post #5972955th Feb 2010 9:07 am
K2mut

United Kingdom 

Hi Ian,
I have a 09.5 Discovery 3 with Halogen lights. Sad Sad
Are you saying i could upgrade the bulbs to Xenon type upgrade? (H7rs) Confused
I am asking as I do alot of driving in the early mornings & evenings and I am thinking of upgrading to Xenons ,but dont like the cost!! Sad

Cheers Thumbs Up

Ian

K2mut

Post #5977015th Feb 2010 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >