Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Prado to Discovey?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BenSA

South Africa 
Prado to Discovey?

Hi. Just joined the forum. Currently I own a 2007 Prado. Had a test drive in Discovery 4 and liked it. Thinking of ordering one, but like many others I am not sure it’s the right thing to do. I see many web sites like “Discovery hell” and similar that are complaining about reliability issues. Yet I don’t find any for the Prado. I know that this forum is mainly of Discovery owners, But would like to hear if there are really so many problems with the Discovey?

Post #58859723rd Jan 2010 11:43 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

New prado is very different from the old one.
Discovery owners tend to be very straight about issues. So you will find lots of issues on this and other forums. You will also find many solutions.
All Vehicles have issues. eg LC200 has been blowing engines and transmissions, chewing oil and the OEM bull bar cracked the chassis.You will not find so many Toyota drivers complaining though.
New Prado is too early to tell what issues there will be.

The D4 is a great vehicle even it 2.7 guise it will go better than the Prado.
Prado has a cr@p turning circle.
IMHO Toyota ask too much for too little for their vehicles.
The most important thing to have with a D3/4 is a dealer who know what they are doing.
I am sure SA boys will advise. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #58868924th Jan 2010 2:40 am
Delta Farms

Zimbabwe 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 4

Hi Ben, I have both a prado which is 2 years old now and more recently a D4 with the 2.7 diesel engine. We are based in Zambia and much of the time the vehicles are on bad dirt roads. The prado is a great car, but the engine is not powerful enough, the vehicle is not stable on badly corrugated roads ( the back end always wants to break away) the rear seat configuration is poor and we have had numerous problems with the rear door mechanism, its also worth noting that it sucks dust. The front bumper and fog lights are also rather rattly after only 50 000kms. On the plus side it is comfortable and the long range tanks are great.
Its a bit early to comment on the D4 but so far its very comfortable, with a much better ride off road, very stable over corrugations, quiet with a powerful engine despite noticeable lag before getting going. The load space and seat configuration are hard to fault. My only gripe so far is the size of fuel tank, but I'm looking into getting a second tank fitted and moving the spare wheel to a swing away rear braket. If the electrics behave then I would take the D4 over the Prado.
Cheers.

Post #58871724th Jan 2010 8:28 am
BenSA

South Africa 

Thanks for the replies. But what I actually mean is, how a vehicle with so many awards, and great reviews, has so many issues of reliability? Or is it not so many issues. It is very confusing when you read the good things, and then see an equal amount of bad things? As mentioned, I have driven the Disco 4 and loved it. Just don’t want to find myself in a position whereby I have to be at the dealer so very often (for repairs).....?.

Post #58883324th Jan 2010 12:48 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Early D3s did have a few problems that were ironed out over time. The last D3s are very reliable, generally speaking. The D4 has all new electronics and the 3.0 has had a few problems. Haven't heard much about the 2.7 - most D4s are 3.0, so there's more info about those.

Read the 'Africa' section on here - most are very happy. Thumbs Up

Post #59022226th Jan 2010 1:00 am
BenSA

South Africa 

Well......Geting my D4 tomorow. will keep you posted

Post #59054326th Jan 2010 3:30 pm
charleslee

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I drove a Fortuner before and is born in a Toyota family and always liked all the landy jokes, until I almost rolled my fortuner while towing. Ordered a Prado, but went for test drive in Disco 3. This is where my eyes opened and I bougt a 2008 disco 3 S. Did only 35 000km with trip to Richtersveld towing a Explorer over akkedispas and through hellspass. Never missed a beat and took us everywhere in carlike comfort.

So, new Prado was launched and because of all the Landy jokes the family were still making, I went and test drive the new Prado. Well, I rather keep my disco 3 then the new prado. Received my disco 4 in december and got good value for the disco 3.

I`m sold!
 cleedisco4  
Post #59078626th Jan 2010 9:18 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

BenSA wrote:
Well......Geting my D4 tomorow. will keep you posted

AAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD ????????

ps. don't fear, i have done 10800km in my D3 and never let me down. Issues that I had never affected it's reliability and was fixed free at the dealer when servicing. Keep reading this forum, it willl help you understand the vehicle better. Enjoy
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #59430831st Jan 2010 9:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BenSA

South Africa 

AAAAA nnnnnnnnnnnnn dddddddd........Got 800 km on the new D4. Awesome vehicle

Post #5963983rd Feb 2010 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >