Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Faulty EGR Valves on my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 25 <123 ... 111213 ... 232425>
Martrum

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So have a TDV6 Auto on a 55 plate.

Noticed lack of power below 2000 rpm - its like a milk float - then suddenly jumps into life when >2000 rpm.
Having read this forum seems like a EGR fault.

I have noticed no black smoke though or fault indications.

Will consult with Bell tomorrow and report back !

Post #82205731st Jul 2011 9:27 pm
Martrum

Well, I ordered the EGR replacement kit from Bells and it arrived within 48 hours - so thanks to them.

Fitted today - took me about 3 hours. I can recommend an 8mm 1/4 inch drive socket on a flexible coupler and extension piece in order to get to the bolts on the exhaust.

All fitted and car drives like a dream again.

Can't really work out what the problem was - is it that the fault is with the actuator closing off the air supply ?

[/img]

Post #8227403rd Aug 2011 2:00 pm
Martrum

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

Post #8227423rd Aug 2011 2:03 pm
jimbo81

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

kemppi wrote:
Hi

Hope someone can help I have a disco 3 2005 HSE with all the usual EGR problems, I have blanked them off and removed the butterfly.
But I still have loss of power and black smoke i spoke to Pete from bell autos and he suggested a split or blocked intercooler pipe as this is very common or a split intercooler itself which I will checkout today if it doesn't rain again!!
But the main question I have is does anyone know how to stop the engine system fault coming up on the dash? I have a Hawkeye to clear the faults but when I next start the car it comes up again! The problem is fixed mechanically but it still reads the old EGR valves electrically! What can be done to sort this??

Regards

Kemppi

My 55 plate is in the dealer at the moment as i loose power with the 'Engine System Fault' coming up on the dash, then if i let the revs fall back to tick over, i get normal power back again, unless I dont put my foot down feather the throttle and increase the load again - it just happens again. I have the EGR's blanked off but the dealer is saying that its a faulty EGR valve.. Confused Can this be? it doesnt seam to be ringing true. any urgent advice would hugely appriciated!!! Bow down
 You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.  
Post #84056427th Sep 2011 1:41 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They probably stuck the diagnostics on it and never opened the bonnet and saw you had blanked them!

Possible turbo Sad
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #84080227th Sep 2011 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimbo81

Turbo Shocked Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

They know about the blanks as they said to me they noticed that it was 'modified'! But your right they've just put on the laptop and it's come up with 'EGRS' so that's what they want to change - even though it's not doing anything..

Just need some more ideas on what to tell them (yes, Landrover! Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head ) to look for before they spend £400 of my money changing something that I have blanked off!!!
Post #84083927th Sep 2011 8:56 pm
StephenO

I'd be looking for a 2nd opinion before paying for new EGR's, maybe someone on here could help. Possibly one of the sponsors ie bellautos?

Post #84087827th Sep 2011 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kristian

Norway 

hi. i got my car back from the dealer today, and both my egr was broken. can i block them off? or can they just stay there broken.

Post #84165229th Sep 2011 5:00 pm
StephenO

You can run them as you say broken but not advisable.

There would continue to be a lack of power and probably lead to further problem in the long term. If you blank them then you will get the old car back and it won't cause an future issues.

You may also enjoy the added benefit of increased mpg!

Use blanks supplied by Bellautos, site sponsor on here Thumbs Up

http://bellautoservices.co.uk/products/lan...nking-kit/

Post #84166929th Sep 2011 5:37 pm
jimbo81

Well I finally got her back today!!

After I Rolling Eyes suggested to just plug the new EGR into the electrics and not actually fit the thing, just to see what that did ( as I didn't think that was the actual fault) it fixed that error code and allowed 3 error codes to do with injector / fuel problems. This was pointing towards either a blocked fuel filter or HP fuel pump.. Sorbet change d the fuel filter first and what do ya know!? It fixed the fault altogether-no fault codes and all is now well,, Smile

To think they initially wanted Ro fit a new EGR valve! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks to evyone on here for all the posts which led me to doubt Landrover themselves Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down

Hope this post helps someone else to save a shed of cash!! Thumbs Up
Post #8430723rd Oct 2011 6:42 pm
Jarvis

England 

So our turn to have lack of power, being followed by a cloud of smoke and orange lights on the dash board Sad. Nice man from LR Assistance turned up and diagnosed stuck open EGR valve....then kindly fitted the blanking plates that I bought 2 years ago as a precaution, so I could get to the dealers.

So the 58 plate with 34K on the clock is at the dealers for replacement under warranty Surprised

I asked the main service man about the failures and he confirmed it's a common problem with lots of makes, in fact Mercedes have introduced a "fuel clean" into the service schedule to stop the crud building up. Interestingly, he also said the problem is more common with supermarket fuel as it doesn't have the same adatives as Shell or BP does.

Now to my real question.......assuming I get the blanking plates back from the Dealers after the repair, can I re-fit them to the later 2.7 engine? Do I need to drill bleed holes in the middle to fool the ECU?

Thanks!

Post #8547943rd Nov 2011 6:22 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Thanks Jarvis for the post very interesting from your experience would you advise to carry blanking kit in 58 car, to fit in case of egr failure. What was the car like driving back to dealer after blanking plates was fitted? Who you drive in that state for long distance? Obviously the warning message kept showing?
Thumbs Up For Lr assist tech in fitting the blanking kit good inisitive on his part or is this comman. Interms of fitting the kit long term, I would be interested in that and could only find suggesting of Jag owners with same engine fitting The kit with hole drilled in it. None of the Tunning companies have come forward wGith a solution they are willing to release. So the search continues!
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #8549704th Nov 2011 9:30 am
Jarvis

England 

Well, I will certainly recover the blanking plates from the dealer and put them back in the glovebox!

As the LR Assistance man didn't have any sealant with him, there was a slight gas leak after fitting and the ECU detected it lighting up the orange engine light on the dash. Otherwise it went like a train for the 25miles I drove it to the dealers Very Happy I did ask the LR Assist man to clean the MAP sensor though.....

Judging by the 11 plate D4 the LR assist man turned up in with LR down the side in flourescent signage I think we can assume was genuine Wink

You found me out me out, I got the hole drilled info from the Jag XF forum Laughing

Post #8550104th Nov 2011 12:57 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thought this may be of interest to those (like me) that were confused as to what the EGR Valves do....

In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol/gasoline and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture.[1]Because NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature, the lower combustion chamber temperatures caused by EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates. [2]. Most modern engines now require exhaust gas recirculation to meet emissions standards. The 3.6 Chrysler Pentastar engine is one example that does not require EGR.

Post #8551614th Nov 2011 8:09 pm
Julian Nachev

Bulgaria 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

as i read at http://bellautoservices.co.uk for MY2007 car EGR kits we dont have a public soloution available yet.
If somebody know a kind of solution for MY2007 - please help.

Post #8563868th Nov 2011 2:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 25 <123 ... 111213 ... 232425>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >