DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Remove centre dash sections - 12vAux power/ashtray
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Remove centre dash sections - 12vAux power/ashtray

G'day everyone,

I've almost finished my custom installation of my ipod aux input jack, but cannot remove the lower section (12v aux power and ash tray), from the centre dash, just under the heater/aircon switches. See pic in my gallery.

I've removed the 2 outer screws but it seems that the unit is held in place with clips or other hidden screws. Mad

Has anyone removed this before? Question What's the trick?

Thanks
Harry
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #621556th Jun 2006 5:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pull really hard! It is very well held in but it will come out eventually.

Do you really need to take it out? I found (after finally getting it out) that I could get to everything I needed to with it in place
 The End  
Post #621676th Jun 2006 8:53 am
mobyone

Hi Slimer,

Do you speak from experience? Rolling Eyes or are you just assuming that it will pop out without breaking? Shocked

When I do get it out & I get to finish my input jack custom install, I'll post pic's so you can see why.. Should be worth it I hope.. that is of course if I don't break the bloody thing first Crying or Very sad

(Oh i also lost the srping that pushes the ashtray out... whilst trying to remove it ... fell back inside behind this unit.. So i gotta get it out now just to fix that, Embarassed was thinking of taking back and getting LR to fix under warranty!)

Cheers
Harry

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #624467th Jun 2006 1:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

How did you get on? I'm looking to connect my ipod, and it seems ridiculous to have to run a cable to the aux plug on the back of the centre console storage box, so I'm looking for something better. What have you done?
Harry
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #624487th Jun 2006 6:08 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Harry,

I had to take out the central consol (TR knob, gear shift lever part) to take out the blanking part which is between the ashtray and the center consol. The upper part of the blanking part is above the lower part of the ashtray, that is the reason why the ashtray cannot be removed (at least on my LHD German model). Also if your car is automatic, you have to be very careful with the cover for the gearlever, it is kept to the central consol by plastic clips (which I successfully broke when I tried to remove it). The GTR does not have the correct method to remove this either.

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #624517th Jun 2006 8:43 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

mobyone wrote:
Hi Slimer,

Do you speak from experience? Rolling Eyes or are you just assuming that it will pop out without breaking? Shocked
Yes, I took mine out to fit the phone kit. You may find one of the metal clips pings off never to be seen again but it'll fit back in fine without it.
But if you can do the job without removing it I'd go down that route. Moving the gear lever surround back half inch or so will give you enough room to remove the plastic tray infront and allow you to get access in there. To move the gear lever surround undo the screw underneath the park break switch and the one under the rubber tray on the other side (if there is one - there wasn't on mine) and unclip it all around the edge. There's also two screws either side of the center console at the back behind the little 'grills' behind the seats, removing these will allow you to move the whole center console back a bit if you want a bit more access

I'd get the missing spring fixed under warranty, I did the same with the flap over the cigarette lighter on mine when it refused to stay closed anymore
 The End  
Post #624567th Jun 2006 8:54 am
mobyone

jpi3418 wrote:
How did you get on? I'm looking to connect my ipod, and it seems ridiculous to have to run a cable to the aux plug on the back of the centre console storage box, so I'm looking for something better. What have you done?
Harry

I just followed cotefarmboy's post on iPod connections under tips and Tricks, but I did want to mount the 3.5mm jack neatly near the 12v aux outlet. I'll post pic's when done..

Cheers
Harry

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #625037th Jun 2006 11:55 am
mobyone

Now I'm really stuck

OK here are my facts ....

The 12v Aux /ashtray section will NOT come out without first removing the blanking plate below it (unless you intend break the centre clip holding the ashtray in place Shocked Yes that's right there are 3 nasty little clips and it seems that they are there to add tension to the centre of this plate so the little flaps on the lighter close properly????), and in order to remove the blanking plate you first need to remove the grey centre console surround without breaking the clips on the top near the centre console lid..... as AN so correctly stated.

This is not an easy job and as was suggested to me, so DON'T DO it unless you really have to, (maybe I should listen myself!!)

I now have to re-install my centre console and the grey gear lever surround that has only partly come off but it does not seem to "click" back into place. I suppose the fact that one of the clips holding it in place has sprung out of place and appeared on the carpet may be contributing to this!! Big Cry I am now thinking that I should probably remove the entire console in order to put it back in place properly Question

This is where I need HELP!! pleeeease! Sad

Has anyone ever done this before? I've searched the forum without finding a specific post relating to this. I am concerned if I go too far and start unclipping things, they'll break ( as they already have ) or I won't be able to re-assemble. This is a first for me, as a Mechanical Engineer I've nver been stumped like this before but now I'm desperate. Bow down ..

Thanks
Harry

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #6433016th Jun 2006 11:17 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mobyone,

I know the feeling.........

This is very difficult to describe it, but I will try to do it.

The auto gearshift cover has 4 little plastic arms which slopes and there is 4 plastic hangers on the gray surround (which has TR knob, height and transfer box switches), you have to guide those arms to the hangers and they will "click in". The gray suround has 3 clips in the front part, which clips it to the central consol upper part, this is clipped to the lower part by 8 clips (has to be pushed to places, there is metal clips in the plastic lower part, which can come out).

First put back the central consol upper part, put the gear lever part under the gray surround and after that try to clip the gear lever part to the gray surround. Part of the gear lever part goes under the central consol, thus when you put everything together, you have around 3/4 inch space between the gear lever part and the gray sorround to work with, when you try to guide the little arms back to the hangers.

I used a long screwdriver, my fingers and lot of f words...

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #6438717th Jun 2006 12:06 pm
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Not sure if you have to do all that.

I've had my centre console out a couple of times, and that of my buddy Chris Tyler. Do a search on his posts, I think he posted pictures of it all out.

Its a lot easier to get the ashtray panel out if you previously remove the hazard button panel, the radio and the environment control panel.

The ashtray itself is held in by two clips which go in opposite directions, hence its very difficult to get it out. But removing the above items helps.

To remove the centre console (back to the box) first remove the rubber coin tray, then the screw holding the parking brake and the one under the sunglass holder. Unplug and remove the parking brake.

Then grasp the edges of the upper part of the centre console and pull up!

As usual there are a few clips, but it will come up in the end, held only by the wiring plugs for the terrain control and the gear knob. To completely remove the console you have to remove the gear knob (pull down the lower cover under the knob then prise the clips outward while pulling knob up) and unclip the cables.

Careful of the cupholder inners, they sometimes become unattached, as there is a clip in their base. But they can be reattached to the centre console when its out and pressed back into place.

I did this yesterday to install my amateur radio rig. Made a new panel to replace the ashtray panel. Here's a blurry photo:

Mail me if you need more info. I've had these apart too many times now!

Andy.

Post #6745630th Jun 2006 12:12 am
SN

Slimer wrote:
I'd get the missing spring fixed under warranty, I did the same with the flap over the cigarette lighter on mine when it refused to stay closed anymore
Hmmh - a quick search found this thread - guess what? Today's little niggle is that the flap over the Cigarette Lighter no longer shuts! Rolling Eyes Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8104828th Aug 2006 9:02 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Snap (or maybe not).

Post #8105228th Aug 2006 9:23 pm
mobyone

I beat it..... Finally!

Well I've finally completed ... Very Happy what started out as a simple project a few months ago. With the help of many forum members and the aid of the GTR manual (best $12 bucks I ever spent! Wink ), I was able to remove the centre console and ashtray section and complete the aux input for my Ipod!

For the record.. the removal of the gear lever, surround and everything else is quite straightforward. The difficuly remains in removing the ashtray panel (the removal of the 3 clips) and knowing that the centre console plastic surround (cup holders and gear lever) must be removed first. 9unless you plan on breaking it.

As an expert in this field, I am happy to share my knowledge if anyone else has problems with the centre console.

Some pic's of the journey and the final product. (I'll post in my gallery if these pic's don't load).

Don't forget to re-insert the handbrake cable in the guide, (especially if you lift the console from the cubby box end).

Final product....

Now to drive and enjoy!

Cheers and thanks to those that offered advice..

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #10309520th Nov 2006 1:18 am
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm just in the process of removing the centre console but having some problems.

I've removed the centre piece and taken the 4 torq screws out and disconnected the 3 cables but can't slide the centre console back. I'm trying to get behind the facia with the 2x 12 sockets and coin cubbie in the centre to put an Aux socket in. Will moving the console backwards release the bottom section of that fascia sufficiently for me to pull it forward? Also what is the small cable terminating just behind the gear unit that disappears down into the centre tunnel? What does this have to be connected to when I reassemble it. Also the gear unit appears to have lugs at the side which prevent the console moving backwards. Anyone assist please?
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #29014422nd Apr 2008 8:25 pm
mobyone

Hi Dixie, have sent you an e-mail this morning,

the handbrake release cable sits in a guide close to the EPB switch. make sure it goes back there when you re-install everything.

As far as I can remember the blanking plate under the 12v panel needs to come out first before the panel can come out. Can you post a pic of what you're up to?
Cheers

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #29099324th Apr 2008 2:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >