BBS goes winter Off Roading Cyprus Style
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
BBS goes winter Off Roading Cyprus Style

As some of you may have read in a previous post
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42216.html?
I have joined our local CYLROC (Cyprus Land Rover Owners Club) and started to take part in their many annual activities.

In fact although i am the only D3 owner they have, and as any true Blue D3 lover would be, am keen to show the many techno phobic knobbly tired Defenders the benefits of the advanced technology of the D3 in action.

Starting from a very sunny and warm 20 degrees at my house, it took me about 20- 25 minutes to arrive at the designated meeting point and most Britishly, i was the first to arrive, but was quickly joined by Bob, another Brit in an ex army and seriously retro attired Defender that he had painted Pink !!!

Over the next hour, about another 25 seriously modified Land Rovers (Mainly defenders) turned up as well as a couple of Freelander 1's and after a few coffees and a bit of chatter we did a group photo and a bit of a route intro. Then we all saddled up and began our ascent into the Troodos mountains (Mount Olympus)

Having lashed down with rain the night before, to a degree few can possibly imagine, it was not long before we hit our first obstacle.

It was a steep ascent on a rocky road that had been partially washed away, and at it's summit there was a near impossible doubling back type left turn, on an angle that also had a torrent of water flowing over it.
Two vehicles were set up to provide a 3 way winching arrangement if needed, which most cars required, although after a few re trys the most knobbly tyred defenders, despite massive wheel spin, managed un aided.

Click image to enlarge

When my turn came, i selected Rock crawl, low gear and really just booted it.

I really had no problem, and after passing it, the club president came to me and commented that of all the cars, mine seemed to have the least difficulty. Of course i retorted about being a good driver, but was answered with some comment about never mind my skills, the car must have been on auto pilot LOL.

seems that the secret to my success may be out Whistle Whistle Whistle

In any event after all but one of the Freelanders had been winched up we proceeded on and it was not long before we entered the cloud layer

And here is a shot of us waiting in line to get past a seriously narrow gap left by a 50 ton falling bolder in the road

Click image to enlarge

You will notice my D3 behind Bob in his Pink Defender

As if i have not re iterated enough, how out of place a D3 with no off road mods and only standard 17 inch road tyres really was, here is a shot of us all meeting up in a clearing for further instruction, Bobs pink defender being center shot.
Click image to enlarge

But we slowly ascended more and found some white stuff up there as we went higher above the cloud base as you can see

Click image to enlarge

It was just before this point that i selected "Snow" on the Terrain response only to be instantly met with an objectionable bong from the instrument cluster and a "Suspension fault" message. And sure enough when i tried to raise it, i got the same bong and message. I dunno what was wrong, but there was no way i was going to be able to try tackling the further obstacles we would be attempting with a non functional Air suspension system. There was no way to pull over and get a laptop out either, especially if i did not want to give all the butch Defender guys reason to laugh and make anti technology jibes.

A few minutes later, the convoy was held up for a short while as the track narrowed and without so much as turning the engine off, i took the opportunity to get my passenger to pass me my Faultmate FCR from the glove box. I reached down and plugged the OBDII connector in beside my left knee and within seconds had read 4 faults from the Air suspension System. scrolling down, i instantly recognized 3 as regular network traffic type faults which are always there, but the fourth was new. It read as something like "Rear Left height sensor supply algorithm failure, too many transitions" which just seemed like nothing more than the system moaning about being made to work for its keep to me. I just cleared fault codes and that was very much the end to the problem and for sure no one else would have ever guessed we had a problem at all. Thumbs Up

Shortly after, the track became totally impassable and although most were able to reverse up to take the alternate route a handful of us at the front had to find another way to turn round and go back.

There was a very tiny space just big enough that could do a 5 point turn and then ascend a very steep snow and mud covered track to the side. Here is a piccy of that track taken from the top before i went back down it.

Click image to enlarge

You might notice that the bottom part of it is so steep, you can't actually see it

Down. At the bottom to the right is a very track which due to the couple of cars now occupying the small space there was i now had to directly turn right onto. But the turn is so sharp and the lane so narrow, in effect, while still at a 45% plus down slope angle, with full right lock on, i had to stick my D3's nose right on the very edge of the sheer drop that the chap is standing on, then reverse lock and pray to hell that i can reverse up enough to re apply full right lock before nudging forward again to get me on the track without my left front wheel slipping over.

Obviously i am still here, but it was most definitely with no small thanks to the technical merits of both my D3 and my FCR.

Of course, at the end of all this fun and excitement, no matter what the weather, what better than to end up having a nice big group Barbeque, a bit of chat and banter, and of course a few beers.

Click image to enlarge

Post #6139583rd Mar 2010 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Mr. Green

Had great fun up in those mountains last summer - in a Maverick Laughing

Are there any maps of rights of way, and is there anywhere you can rent a landrover out there?
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #6142153rd Mar 2010 10:53 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looks like a fun day out ...i hope you left your shorts at home Colin Laughing
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #6142253rd Mar 2010 11:16 pm
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thanks for sharing Colin Thumbs Up I gotta get that FCR!!!!!!!
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #6142564th Mar 2010 3:12 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Actually Wiggs, after we did the Dakar thing at the Charity event, a picture apperared in the club news letter of my driving it with the title "special opps", after which there have been a few military jokes.

So i turned up fully dressed from head to toe in Commando type Cammo gear Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

No rights of way rubbish over here as much off road fun as you want, and you can rent Land Rovers, albeit only older ones.

Off road safaris outings are actually really big business in the summer.

A business associate of mine owns this outfit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o37cVtC2oZQ

Post #6144164th Mar 2010 1:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >