Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How do you change Brake fluid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
floydstar

United Kingdom 

To update and close my request for information here...
I used a Gunson pressure bleed kit and bled each calliper, in the correct sequence.
I ended up going round twice to get a good pedal feel/all the air out but brakes are sorted and thankfully no need to do anything with the HCU.
Thanks for the comments.

Post #172360623rd Oct 2016 7:34 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Robbie wrote:
Yes but it is only required if the ABS has air in it; but it does make things easier when changing the fluid - brrrp, corner done... brrrp, next corner done.

Thumbs Up

I changed my brake fluid this morning with the aid of my IID BT, I'm sorry to say it didn't go very well Neutral

Started the procedure on the IID and followed instructions, rear left calliper with the boss pumping the pedal but the timer said 20 seconds then kept going into negative numbers? Should i of heard a brrrrp

Finaly got it to move onto next step and that was front left ( i was expecting rear right but thought i better follow instrictions because thats the port that would be open on abs module....) all went ok but still over running timer??

Next instruction was front right which again i thought was odd as usualy do furthest away but hey that's what the IID said. Now this is where it turned really pair shaped, i cracked the nipple open and nothing came out. The port wasnt open or the wrong one was! When the timer finished i could hear a valve move and then we managed to bleed it but then the abs went mad and was vibrating amd brrrp ing, it was so bad i had to abort the procedure and turn off ignition.

Finished rear right old-fashioned way and all working ok but not experience I was hoping for with the IID Sad

Post #183024025th Jun 2017 12:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Not good. Have you contacted GAP about it?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #183024425th Jun 2017 5:43 am
DiscoJake

No not yet. I need to be at my pc to write an essay rather than on this phone.

Worth contacting then? Pressumed there wouldn't be much support on a weekend...

I wasn't really sure what the operation should do, is it supposed to make a noise each time you do a calliper?

Post #183024725th Jun 2017 6:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

What - changing the fluid in these vehicles is not different to a 1948 landrover - no gap tools, no IID tools just fluid, some clear tube, a container for the used fluid and someone to help, though you can do it yourself.

You start at the furthest bleed screw from the master - passenger rear, the drivers rear, the front passenger and then front drivers. Bleed each in turn using standard old age bleeding technique - someone foot down on the pedal, the other open bleed screw - drain - close bleed screw and other lifts the pedal and slowly represses it again. Keep reservoir topped up with new fluid - drain each bleed screw in turn until new fluid comes through and is clear of bubbles. Exactly the same as your 1948 drum braked Landie.

ABS - doesn't matter - fluid goes through - the only issue is if you have pipes off the master and you may have to also bleed there but not if you are routinely changing fluid.

A good shop will have a pressure cap for the reservoir and will force fluid through to each bleed screw in turn but save some money and do it yourself.

Garry

Post #183027125th Jun 2017 9:00 am
DiscoJake

I know how to bleed brakes just thought there was a benefit to isolating each circuit as I had the IID tool to do it (playing with my new gap toy) but it didnt turn out thay way...

Post #183027425th Jun 2017 9:13 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Guys no need for the tool, just have the engine running when the boss is pumping the pedal, start at the rear passenger side then go in an anti-clockwise direction.
All the tool does is simulate a live system.
The countdown fault is known about, I informed them last year.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #183029025th Jun 2017 9:58 am
Chrishy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Flack - why engine running?

Post #183180929th Jun 2017 7:54 am
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I presume having the engine running and using an Eezibleed will work the same? I have an IID Tool but doesn't sound like theres much benefit to it!

Post #185298031st Aug 2017 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >