DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery or wiring fault?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sweep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Battery or wiring fault?

Hi all,

Could anyone please shed any light on a problem I have with my V8 Tangiers Beast? I have had dramas since owning the D3 with what I thought was the battery, however after being advised by Indy dealer that I bought the D3 from, that the battery was fine and being told the alternator was u/s, I had a new alternator fitted! Now 3 weeks later I have ;hdc fault, drivers door open, interior lights randomly coming on and suspension lowering on front passengers side(LHD) over night oh and off road height randomly raising even though it hasn't been selected! Arrgh threaders to say the least and battery needing a jump start tonight to start, it has also taken considerably longer to crank over in the mornings over last week. All above random faults were explained by dealer last time as possible battery fault but then as mentioned was told NO it's definately the alternator now this happens again and I'm back to square one!

Many thanks , can anyone shed any light on past experiences with their D3 REgarding above.

Sweep

forgot to add I even bought jump leads after the first flat battery a month into ownership since then I've had to jump start the D3, 5 more times over 10 months.
 Sweep  
Post #66617429th Jun 2010 6:27 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Could be a few things but have you tried charging your battery with a battery charger then doing a load test on it. By load test I mean drawing a large current off and watching the voltage to see if it collapses. In the old days you could put the headlights on and the heated rear window. A local garage should be able to do this.

If it looks ok, would suggest looking to see if the vehicle is drawing current when it is just sitting there. Use a current clamp on the battery lead.

Ian

Post #66632629th Jun 2010 11:38 pm
Sweep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi and many thanks for your reply. The dealer tells me the battery is good, it's been checked by them using a piece of kit used in the trade that is the dogs nuts, however long story short the service dept tells me that all symptoms I had prior to requiring new alternator were battery issues! Now I've a new alternator and this all happens, it seems a little suspect to me. Quite rightly the service dept have also said D3 may be drawing current from some where and running battery flat so I have disconnected it over night to see if the battery is knackered with it not connected so nothing drains it, I will reconnect later and try to start the bloody thing!
I'm alot threaders to say the least as the service dept told me D3 was all fixed and good to go, now this rears it's head which tends to tell me battery is knackered, surely if connected to the land rover computer these faults should be flagged up?

I'm no mechanic but don't want to get took for a ride, my warranty runs out within 2 months with these guys and want it all squared.

Cheers again for info I will mention this to them. Thumbs Up

Sweep
 Sweep  
Post #66636030th Jun 2010 6:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >