Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

BIO-DIESEL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
BIO-DIESEL

The British Standard for Diesel fuel BS EN 250:2009 is now in effect, and replaces BS EN 590:2004 which has been withdrawn. A major change is it permits the inclusion of up to 7% by volume of bio-diesel. Specifically, it permits up to that 7% to be Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) complying with EN 14214.

Now, FAMEs are unstable in temperature and oxidation. They are solvents and can free residues and detrius from tanks and pipes. They can also absorb water which is present from contamination or condensation, as in vehicle tanks. As well as the undesirable presence of the water, certain microbes thrive in these conditions, and can excrete acidic products that can damage storage tanks and clog filters.

There is also now a requirement under the Petroleum Regulations for the amount of bio-diesel that might be in a fuel to be shown at the point of sale. There must be a statement on the dispensing pump, but apparently there is no requirement as to how large this statement must be. The actual amount of bio-diesel in a given brand at a given outlet can therefore vary up to the 7% (B7), as can the composition of the bio-diesel content as it may not all be FAMEs.

LandRover have stated (including in my copy of the Owners Handbook) that “The maximum allowable Bio-diesel mix is 5% ….” for the 2.7 TDV6 engine, and possibly also all others. Perhaps they are just being cautious. The reaction of my local Dealer was somewhat quizzical, based on “if it’s legal to sell it then it must be OK”. They are supposed to come back to me with an “official” answer.

If you have had any information from Land Rover on this subject, could you please pass it on here?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #64223928th Apr 2010 1:35 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Although I'm looking forwards to reading any official responses to this, somewhere in my gut I can feel a "Land Rover must give me a new engine free of charge to cope with this" post brewing somewhere in someone's head somewhere down the line...start stopwatch Wink

There was always talk that "one day" new seals would be available for the high pressure pump and associated bio-diesel sensitive components. I'm fairly sure that 7% instead of 5% is probably within the engineers spec and they just said 5% to keep the incidences of stupid percentages down, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the FAME the residue that lazy processors don't bother to remove from the end product and the reason why the more fastidious home producers create better quality fuels? In my uneducated head this seems more of a corrosion risk to delicate components than the upped max percentage.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #64233828th Apr 2010 5:23 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

if you fancy brewing your own, this guy has a top system that produces safe cheap fuel.

If you can do basic plumbing building a system is not that hard.

Pom

Post #64234228th Apr 2010 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >