Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

First trial roof basket fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
First trial roof basket fitting

I tried my roof basket on the D3 for the first time tonight as a trail fitting for the feet I've started making.

I've had this basket for over ten years now, and this will be the 4th 4x4 I've made feet for.
The basket itself is of all aluminium construction, but has been modified over the years by me, I've even cut it in half and inserted 18" to make it a better length to suit a LWB vehicle.
It started out as a cheap buy of a work mate that had taken it off his SWB Shogun.

I must stress that it's only used as and when it's required, so it needs to come on and off easily, and I don't need to worry too much about noise or extra fuel burn. Most of the time it's in use is on camping trips when for the longer journeys I also have 3tns of boat and trailer on the back, so extra fuel is guaranteed anyway.

I'm lucky enough to have a Lathe, milling machine and various bits of welding equipment in my garage/workshop at home, so I've made up 6 Stainless Steel feet to fit the 'T'tracks, which now need the excess cutting off, seam welding and cleaning up.

Once I'm happy with these I'll start on the two forward mounts. I've already machined up some nylon blocks to go under the two trim pieces, and have some very low profile Allen Dome head screws to plug the holes when it's not on the car.

I'll then refit the 4 Cibie 6" diameter Spotlights that go across the front to light up the campsite, beach etc.
I'm currently assuming the black trim down the outside of the 'A' piller pops on and off easily enough to run the cable behind it down into the under bonnet area, where like my old cars I'll have a permanantly fitted connector with relays and a switch under the dash.
I took my homemade loom out of my Shogun and plan to fit it inside the battery box with power taken direct off the battery to the relays.

I'll post some more pics as I go along.
It's obviously not the most stylish of things, but you can walk around on it, and personally I like the look of it on the D3 so far.

I may need to move it forward a couple more inches to avoid issues with shielding the GPS antenna.

Nasher.

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #6456766th May 2010 8:13 pm
SN

needs to be black Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6457817th May 2010 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >