Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Electronic Park Brake dissected
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Electronic Park Brake dissected

Well, not fully, yet.

Edit If you in a hurry, go to http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...report.doc

See my Gallery, under EPB dissection

Having opened the vented and very well sealed top, the insides look pristine. The Yorkshire side of me tells me I can re-use / sell this if I don't wreck it, but I do want to pull it further to bits. So I stopped poking after the posted photos (then bust my camera Big Cry Big Cry on Blencathra...).

Anyone want me to look at any particular bit? Edit We looked at it all''''

Still no idea what screams... no signs of heat or dust... EditWe do, now...

Let me know...

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods 

Last edited by AndrewW on 1st Jul 2010 1:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #65009317th May 2010 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

I believe the screaming it caused by the gears/coggs in the actuator jumping when the shoes in the drums are out of adjustment. So to see signs of damage you'd need to open up the gears in the actuator

Post #65009717th May 2010 6:41 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

We can blame Dieter & Klaus Kuster for the infernal EPB:-

http://www.kuester.net/en/unternehmen/geschichte.shtml

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #65010017th May 2010 6:44 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This may be Küsters last stand.....

Sorry Embarassed
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #65018717th May 2010 9:31 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have another here if you want it to take apart , non screaming , the cables have been cut though.

Post #65019317th May 2010 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Mr H - I still maintain that slipping gears or threads would

a) not make a steady screech, but have a clicking/rapping element to it either from jumping gear-mesh or stripping threads

b) destroy themselves very quickly under those conditions

BUT the EPB can scream on and off for years (mine has), and function perfectly in between. Stripped gears or threads would degenerate rapidly if not immediately; this has to be a friction interface that can howl and then behave next time, and for weeks before the next howl.

..o0O0o..

I might take you up on the cable-less box, Wex, for the first dissection (as it is NOT re-commissionable) and learn how to pull one to bits, so that I could then do my re-serviceable one non-destructively, and create a "How-to" PDF for the forum. Then folk could strip theirs down and maybe save £200 plus fitting...

I have to say I thought there would be more interest in the interior of the EPB box. Is it just Monday, or don't we all like the "how things work" approach to life Question
Post #65023618th May 2010 12:53 am
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I wonder if there is some sort of clutch in the white gearbox to protect the motor.

If the controller looks for an increase in amps from a stalled motor to tell it the brake is applied if a clutch was slipping it would keep going and squeal. It might also explain it being an intermittent problem.

No factual basis for this but it would fit the symptoms.

Only one way to find out, smash it to bits!!! Moo ha ha!! Mr. Green Mr. Green
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #65024618th May 2010 2:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have seen a cutaway diagram of the epb actuator in the past, and I am sure that there is an over run protection clutch. I'll have a look and see if I can find the diagram.

Post #65026918th May 2010 8:17 am
AndrewW

Luvbus - my thinking entirely! Crunch time soon... Need to see inside... Rolling Eyes

Gareth - cheers! - always like to have a map when heading into new territory Very Happy The guy at VOSA sent me an indistinct photocopy which only makes sense now that I can see the real thing with the lid off...
Post #65034018th May 2010 11:49 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Very interesting thread,

The gears / threaded puller look zinc plated and greased, is that correct or are they just steel.

I would be interested to know also if the part are hardened. knowing how cost concious these thing are, I would not be surprise if some part where soft and a more effective and long lasting dry film lubricant could be used.

Difficult to tell from the photos the wear on the bits.

Is this box a (ex)working one or a knackered one, it would be interesting to compare one of each if available.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #65039118th May 2010 1:33 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I've uploaded the EPB pdf if that helps. A quick flick through doesn't explain where the screech comes from though, but most likely there's a clutch in the drive between the motor and the splined shaft. Maybe for some reason the force sensor is demanding more tension, but the clutch reaches it's limit and slips. A clean out of the drums and shoes seems to cure it most of the time, in my experience.

Good to see the strip down pics Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0Brake.pdf

Edit: can you get the motor and g/b out, and separate them? I'd be interested to see what's in there.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #65041318th May 2010 1:52 pm
AndrewW

CG - yes it's my ex-screamer... I cannot see ANY signs of wear anywhere, and no piles of dust to suggest an overworked part.

The material seems to be hardened steel - I do have a Poldi tester somewhere - I will try to report back on that. The Splined bit seemed cadmium plated from memory - I will inspect for plating and hardenesses...... Lubrication was minimal (dry?) - adequate but not excessive. The environmental protection is certainly 100% effective.

We have to remember this is German engineering (Küster), so my guess is all the metals will be hard enough for the job Shocked and the machining tolerances pretty good.

r_m - thanks for the PDF - I intend to open up the motor and gearbox - watch this space Very Happy

Andy
Post #65052318th May 2010 6:18 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

More likely to be Tin Zinc, not sure they can use Cadmium these days.

Like others I would like to see the gears and the clutch.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #65056818th May 2010 8:20 pm
bp

United Kingdom 

V Interesting just a wondering as I am not bright enough to enlarge the photos but how does the steel cable anchor and if that is slack could it be responsible for some of the horrible noises ?
Look forward to seeing the next bit stripped

Post #65062418th May 2010 9:23 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Nice to see some one has taken the initiative and stripped one down, but I, like others have said am under the impression there is a clutch (ball and spring perhaps) that has gone week with time. If you do find something of the sort then a strip down and replacement of the clutch with fixed components could eliminate most peoples problems. Doesn't answer how anyone would re-seal the box bach up though Neutral

Well done, Iain

Post #65064518th May 2010 9:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >