Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

GVIF, reversing camera and DVD installation guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Biz,
That's a great bit if work and your instructions are outstanding, I was reading them just last night.

Couple of questions if you don't mind, if you select reverse does the image from the reversing camera automatically overide any other feed and appear on the Sat Nav screen?
Does the little button allow you to scroll through the other feeds i.e. between say Sat Nav and a DVD feed?

Thanks
Arthur

Post #6810729th Aug 2010 1:10 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Done that Ian, also checked the RCA connections on both ends...

Has been like that since day one... Confused
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #6810749th Aug 2010 1:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Hi Arthur and thanks for your kind words Embarassed

Yes, as long as you have "Navigation" selected on the LR menu (the GVIF only overrides the SatNav image), then the image from the reversing camera comes on automatically overriding other video shown on the screen. And yes to the second question too, the button toggles between all video/audio feeds (AV1 to AV3 only, not the reverse video feed), as long as the relevant dip switches are set to have that input active on the GVIF unit itself.

Hope this helps.

Best Thumbs Up
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #6810939th Aug 2010 1:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Biz

That's great, yep, all questions answered

Thumbs Up
Arthur

Post #6810979th Aug 2010 2:06 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Biz wrote:
Done that Ian, also checked the RCA connections on both ends...

Has been like that since day one... Confused

Hi Biz
Can you send me a pic of the image
Thanks
Ian
sales@hids4u.co.uk

Post #6812289th Aug 2010 9:11 pm
discoBizz

Sure Ian, I'll try and get as clear a picture as I can get and will post it.

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #68131210th Aug 2010 6:25 am
discoBizz

Ian hi,

I've managed to get a couple of pictures showing what I mean, which I think is purely down to focus:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Given all connections are good, do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Post #68514323rd Aug 2010 12:01 pm
hids4u

Hi Biz
Thanks for the Pics
it look like a faulty camera
Did you try putting the image from the camera into another video input ie AV1 just to rule out naything with the GVIF unit
Assuming its the camera i will arrange to send you out a replacement - and wrap it well!
R
Ian

Post #68524923rd Aug 2010 5:09 pm
discoBizz

Thanks Ian Thumbs Up

I'll try the other AV inputs, though not likely as the DVD and other video sources I have on there show just fine.

Please pm me on how to go ahead with the swap as it would be ideal if Kim could send the new unit to me in Greece (not likely to come back to the UK before November now... Sad ).

Cheers
Post #68531723rd Aug 2010 8:02 pm
scootay2k5

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hello just want to say thanks for the guide... i have just installed my gvif and reversing cam, everything is great so far except one thing what i dont understand... when i have got the screen showing AV1 and put into reverse (screen showing anything to be fair sat nav etc,) instead of the reverse cam showing on the screen it interupts and shows the sat nav screen as if it has switched the gvif unit off? but then if i put back into drive neutral or park it comes back. i have connected the live from my reverse light to the grey cable from the unit... does anyone know about this? or even had the fault themselves?

Post #71452010th Nov 2010 4:00 pm
discoBizz

Glad it helped Scootay Thumbs Up

I suspect however you may have a faulty unit.

If everything else works ok and the thin grey wire from the GVIF is connected to the +ve from the reversing light, this should engage AV4 (the dedicated reversing camera input).

How/where from have you powered your unit?
Post #71452210th Nov 2010 4:05 pm
hids4u

scootay2k5 wrote:
hello just want to say thanks for the guide... i have just installed my gvif and reversing cam, everything is great so far except one thing what i dont understand... when i have got the screen showing AV1 and put into reverse (screen showing anything to be fair sat nav etc,) instead of the reverse cam showing on the screen it interupts and shows the sat nav screen as if it has switched the gvif unit off? but then if i put back into drive neutral or park it comes back. i have connected the live from my reverse light to the grey cable from the unit... does anyone know about this? or even had the fault themselves?

Hi there. Glad to hear the install went well
Can you check the dip switch postions
Also can you check that the red led power light is still on when the reversing signal is recevied
And where did the power come from to the GVIF?
And do you have the camera connected only to the Revers Camera input or also to the AV1,2 or 3 via a splitter
thanks
ian

Post #71468410th Nov 2010 9:35 pm
scootay2k5

ive had a play about checking all the wiring and everything looks correct then i kicked up the engine to put into reverse and the fuse blew on the +ve to the box... i changed that and now everything works as it should?? very odd... thinking i may have a loose connection and i disturbed it causing it to short or ark to the conductor resulting in blowing the fuse... or maybe not i dunno... but it works now im very very impressed
Click image to enlarge

shame about after driving on the motorway and all the spray and dirt gets on the screen causing it to go blurry... i suppose im not exactly going to rely on the camera only to reverse...

Post #71500311th Nov 2010 5:07 pm
hids4u

Glad you got it sorted
Sounds like a lose contact

I have just about finished the installation manual - and added a problem finding page.

Its worth noting that even if the GVIF box gets the reversing signal - 12 volt + and there is no video imaging going into the Reverse Camera input then the unit will not switch over and stay on the Sat Nav.

So probably it was a lose video connection

The Chinese are good but they havent come up with a way of stopping the rain and spray Laughing But i have noticed that once it dries the picture is fine again anyway

Regards
Ian

Post #71611214th Nov 2010 9:52 pm
scootay2k5

looks like i have got a loose connection on the video cable, everything has been working fine untill late last night when it wouldnt come on.... ive just got the meter on the camera itself and i am getting 14vdc recieved at the unit, but unfortunatly i havent got a cable to try instead of the one feeding the gvif unit with the video signal.
the gvif unit is switching over but only showing a black screen therefore i think its the video cable whats nackered.
will have to wait untill this weekend when i can have more of a play around Very Happy

Post #71664116th Nov 2010 12:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >