Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Hmm wonder if this roof will have same prob

Post #6805737th Aug 2010 9:44 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

According to LR..................yes. And it won't be their fault. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6805977th Aug 2010 11:35 am
MELISCAT

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

lee157 wrote:
Very interesting, the only difference between yours and mine is i have the glass roof, but the fixing points for the roof rails are completely different and span a wider area. On the glass roof the rails actually sit on the 3 mounting points aprox 5mm above the gutter.

Click image to enlarge

Hi Lee could you please email me your VIN number as I intend to write to Landrover
 Mike  
Post #6810269th Aug 2010 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MELISCAT

Letter to Landrover

Hi folks, I have sent a letter off to Landrover along with the photographs in an attempt to get a full reply from them with regard to roof rails, fittings, racks and vehicle roof loads.
I will post their reply .....if I get one.
 Mike  
Post #68178911th Aug 2010 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MELISCAT

Re: Letter to Landrover

The letter has gone "registered" so they cannot deny getting it.
 Mike  
Post #68179011th Aug 2010 6:16 pm
caverD3

Thumbs Up
It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #68188611th Aug 2010 11:22 pm
Camel110

United Kingdom 

This is putting me off a D3... Particuarly the size of the bill to correct damage like this. Is Mike the only person to have suffered this?

I doubt its overloading as such that has caused the problem. It will be either the car/rack not flexing together (which I would have thought would have caused more visible damage) or fatigue (you will be amazed the damage high cycle fatigue can do will small loads).

Interesting the difference in fittings...

Post #68315616th Aug 2010 10:04 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Letter to Landrover

MELISCAT wrote:
The letter has gone "registered" so they cannot deny getting it.

That will be interesting if you get a answer. We have been working on L358 as LR are getting stretch in the roof rail bolts when the roof in heavy loaded and off road, the rail is then moving. seeing the effort on this, and on problems on Freelander leakage before that I cannot believe the nuts you had where correct fitment,
The captive system is correct on all vehicles I have worked on, (LR,Jag Mercedes etc) I will when I get the opportunity speak to the LR fastener standards engineer I will see what he says although I doubt he knows about it.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #68316616th Aug 2010 10:30 pm
caverD3

I think Mike is the only one with the problem as far as I know. I think he is also the only one with those fixing points, all who have looked have found theirs to be the ones with the load spreading plate.
It is LRs (and dealers) attitude that stinks on this one I think.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #68316916th Aug 2010 10:35 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am very surprised no water leaks have occurred in that bolted joint. lucky the roof lining is not wreaked.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #68317616th Aug 2010 10:53 pm
MELISCAT

Repair photos: 2 bolts have been fitted to the front rail fixing.
All the plated areas have then been covered with soun deadening material.

I am still awaiting a reply from Landrover

The roof load weight of 75kg has been confirmed by an article in February 2010 Issue of LRO. I quote; " There are plenty of roof racks to choose from, but you may want to get one as light as possible, bearing in mind that maximum roof load is just 75kg - a roof rack and three 20-litre jerry cans of fuel will come close to this figure, if not exceed it."
 Mike  
Post #68335717th Aug 2010 3:54 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

MELISCAT wrote:
"bearing in mind that maximum roof load is just 75kg - a roof rack and three 20-litre jerry cans of fuel will come close to this figure, if not exceed it."

Shocked oh s Censored t...I think I need to weigh the stuff I'll be loading for the holidays...

I'm glad I followed this thread.

Good luck with pursuing LR Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #68339817th Aug 2010 5:42 pm
MELISCAT

Yes it is a bit of a worry for us all Shocked
 Mike  
Post #68343617th Aug 2010 7:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

work friend has a Citreon car with a roof load of 90KG Big Cry
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #68346617th Aug 2010 8:41 pm
caverD3

Manufacturers always quote conservative figures. In Oz these vehicles are used for ouback touring often by grey nomads with much higher loads on them and there have been no issues that I know of. I still think this is a one off.
The figure given by LR will be a worst case scenario more likely related to overturning with a load on and nothing in the cabin counteract it.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #68354418th Aug 2010 1:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >