Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Rail Failure on D3 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
MELISCAT

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Landrovers Response

I have received a response in writing from Land Rover, basically they are standing by their verbal communication. In summary Censored Big Cry

1) The maximum on-road laden weight is 75kg, while the maximum off-road laden weight is 50 kg

2) Land Rover have not altered the fixings / production of roofs - the load bearing plates on Lee157's D3 are not standard and without the vehicles details they are unable to ascertain if they were fitted by Land Rover.

3) They are unable/unwilling to comment on the vehicles used in their advertising showing G4's and other D3's fitted with laden roof racks

In general it is a typical manufacturers cop-out.

My only comment to people buying or modifying a D3 for overseas travel use both on and off road is don't fit a roof rack and tent, go out and buy a Defender 90/110 or dare I say it a Toyota Landcruiser Troop carrier and sleep inside it.

I am now seriously considering having the vehicle modified to take a pop-up roof like on the Extec Defenders (http://extec-gmbh.de/website/pages/start.php) and Toyotas (http://toms-fahrzeugtechnik.eu/de/)
 Mike  
Post #68360618th Aug 2010 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Interesting, as it directly conflicts with the info given on LR's accessory pages in a number of places. Here's an example...

http://accessories.landrover.com/inter/acc...BDEF46FFBB

Luggage Carrier

Features & Benefits
Load capacity 87kg on Sports Bars. 82.4kg on Roof Rails and Crossbars.

Please Note
Roof mounted cross bars must be fitted.
Part Number VIN Range
LR006848
Pricing Information (excl. Fitting)
Price incl. VAT: £171.00
Dimensions & Weight
Height (mm): 116.0 Width (mm): 202.0
Length (mm): 1403.0 Weight (kg): 9.5
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #68360718th Aug 2010 10:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

so basically it is saying if you have a roof rack, don't stand on it when loading...and then only load it with a few kilos of gear...and if you go off road, only put a couple of small items up top (let alone a spare wheel, jerry cans etc...)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #68361518th Aug 2010 11:29 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Landrovers Response

MELISCAT wrote:
2) Land Rover have not altered the fixings / production of roofs - the load bearing plates on Lee157's D3 are not standard and without the vehicles details they are unable to ascertain if they were fitted by Land Rover.

As far as anyone on this forum can assertain these fittings are standard. No one else on here has the same fixings as you as far as I can tell (but that is why i asked others to look at theirs). Did TFC have anything to say about the fixings? You can give my Vin number if you like to LR, PM me. But you may be better with some UK ones.

MELISCAT wrote:
3) They are unable/unwilling to comment on the vehicles used in their advertising showing G4's and other D3's fitted with laden roof racks

I bet they won't comment. Twisted Evil They know under law you could argue "reasonable expectation" of performance.

MELISCAT wrote:
I am now seriously considering having the vehicle modified to take a pop-up roof like on the Extec Defenders (http://extec-gmbh.de/website/pages/start.php) and Toyotas (http://toms-fahrzeugtechnik.eu/de/)

Good idea but I don't think you would have any more problems with the roof loads now.

They are trying to get out of it and have not even checked the fitting. I wonder if it is a wider production issue involving more vehicles.
Only options are to get a solicitors letter or go to the press. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #68361618th Aug 2010 11:29 am
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Maliscat,
I've been on my hols for a few weeks, and have just read all the posts that have risen since it posted the pic on the first page.
I'm not aware that my D3 is a special one off or that it had any re-enforcement done to the roof supports areas.

I'll pm you my vin number to see it helps the process with LR.

Lee

Post #68371218th Aug 2010 3:45 pm
DIEGUS

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry for my English .... but!!

If I look at the drawings for the installation of mini roof rails, I see that they do not discharge the burden on a large surface, but only on one point, which is to fix, in fact, between roof and rails, there is air! !
 Diego  
Post #68439920th Aug 2010 2:14 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Diegus,

That is exactly what it is like under the rail system, the rail sits on 3 points (4 points for the extended rails) approx 5mm above the gutter, the gutter is for water from the roof or glass to run along.

I just had to have mine all off to find a water leak in the roof during heavy rain, if anyone removes the rails it can let in water along the thread (as on mine), its worth putting a small dab of grease or loc tight to stop this happening.

Lee

Post #68472621st Aug 2010 7:03 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MELISCAT reading with interest. Not an expert but I'm not so sure this is a loading issue ...my mind keeps saying "body flexing forces" for some reason Confused . Do you have a photo of the D3 with the rack fitted ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #68473621st Aug 2010 7:26 pm
MELISCAT

lee157 wrote:
Diegus,

That is exactly what it is like under the rail system, the rail sits on 3 points (4 points for the extended rails) approx 5mm above the gutter, the gutter is for water from the roof or glass to run along.

I just had to have mine all off to find a water leak in the roof during heavy rain, if anyone removes the rails it can let in water along the thread (as on mine), its worth putting a small dab of grease or loc tight to stop this happening.

Lee
According to Landrover the roof rails should have Loc-tite on the threads, when fitting the rails.
The body shop informs me that the rails fitted to my Disco 3 (which were factory fitted) do not sit on 3 points but are flush with the roof. All the expedition prep companies that I have spoken to always bond the rails to the roof when fitting them as an after marker accessory.
 Mike  
Post #68497222nd Aug 2010 7:24 pm
MELISCAT

DG wrote:
MELISCAT reading with interest. Not an expert but I'm not so sure this is a loading issue ...my mind keeps saying "body flexing forces" for some reason Confused . Do you have a photo of the D3 with the rack fitted ?

I agree with you but Land Rover do not.
I am going to send them another letter on the matter, but I do not think I will get a positive response.
 Mike  
Post #68497522nd Aug 2010 7:26 pm
DIEGUS

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

MELISCAT wrote:

Unnecessary quote edited

According to Landrover the roof rails should have Loc-tite on the threads, when fitting the rails.
The body shop informs me that the rails fitted to my Disco 3 (which were factory fitted) do not sit on 3 points but are flush with the roof. All the expedition prep companies that I have spoken to always bond the rails to the roof when fitting them as an after marker accessory.

I followed the logic of CarverD3!!
You know those are the assembly instructions for the Land Rover ..... but if they are wrong !!!???
According to those support instructions the punishment is only 3, and not a large surface, as logic ..... but if you say that those assembled from the house are fully in support, then........!!!!! I dont' know!!!
 Diego  
Post #68499522nd Aug 2010 8:41 pm
MELISCAT

ANother letter has gone off to Land Rover today, following the information sent to me by other members of the forum.
I don't expect to get a positive response, but may be Land Rover will get around to making sure all their literature-both electronic and paper gives the same load information.
By the way has anyone managed to find the roof loading information for the D3 in their owners manual?
I can't find it...strange Shocked
 Mike  
Post #68602825th Aug 2010 5:45 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They need to answer the question of whether the fixings on yours are the correct fixings. And show evidence of the parts and numbers. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #68629126th Aug 2010 1:33 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Was about to buy two roof boxes to load up, so am watching this with disbelief, 50kgs offroad???? That doesnt even cover my 4 bikes going on holiday Evil or Very Mad

Post #68629926th Aug 2010 2:02 pm
whydahdvr

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

The load numbers I've seen for the LR cross bars and roof rack are 158 lbs. I'm rusty on my kg conversion but that does seem light, but enough for a load of plywood sheets or luggage. I would think that depending on the roof rack and framing of it, the number of connection points to distribute the load weight, you could increase that some.

Post #68631926th Aug 2010 3:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >