Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TDV6 timing belt - How To...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 34 <123 45 ... 323334>
Carlos Antonio

Brazil 

Hello everybody! greetings from a warm country and unconditional lover of the legendary Land rovers.
I came here and liked the explanations on maintenance, especially the discovery 3, now that the factory warranties are expiring and vehicles migrate to private workshops because of high costs of parts and labor.
And one of these appeared TDV6 engine completely broken inside, to make only gave two pistons, the rest was broken.
And I will not lie I've taken the belt, but I have no idea how to synchronize the engine, since it has no references and the crankshaft has a spline!
And did not have reference to any since the engine was stuck.
can you help me?
As said the order of detonation, and the first cilidro is later on.
Thank you.

Post #93046611th May 2012 3:06 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Carlos

You need to get your hands on the locking pins for the cam shaft and the flywheel, you need to take the starter motor out, a fiddly job and then you can insert the flywheel locking pin to get the cranks in the correct position, then insert the camshaft locking pins in both cams..

This is your only way now to be sure it's all setup in the correct position.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #93054611th May 2012 11:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carlos Antonio

Brazil 

Thanks a lot really helped!
I do this already on the engine throughout the engine is disassembled and has over 700 pieces!
Remove the starter was the first procedure that I did to try to turn the crankshaft, and relamente is rather hard to do. But it's nothing compared to taking the engine! Since he only comes out by removing the entire body in a lift!
The same goes for the air conditioning compressor and turbine, taking only remove the body.
thanks again.

Post #93082312th May 2012 1:07 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Carlos,
This sounds like a big job you are undertaking, and sounds interesting Thumbs Up Why don't you take some pictures and keep us updated on your progress?

Good luck anyway Thumbs Up

Post #93090212th May 2012 7:03 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Carlos Antonio wrote:
But it's nothing compared to taking the engine! Since he only comes out by removing the entire body in a lift!

You dont HAVE to remove the body to get the engine out. it can be done with the body in place if you dont have the facilities to lift the body.

There is a bit more involved in the strip down, but it does come out with the body in place Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #93092712th May 2012 8:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carlos Antonio

Brazil 

Matty 2332 wrote:
Hi Carlos,
This sounds like a big job you are undertaking, and sounds interesting Thumbs Up Why don't you take some pictures and keep us updated on your progress?

Good luck anyway Thumbs Up

Yes ! i put the photos that I can get, so go back to work shooting pictures of the damage in some V6 already scrapped that we receive to determine if a miracle to recover them, many of these engines break here, a few twists to the piston on the crankshaft! It certainly is negligence of the owners to put a good synthetic oil and check the level with some frequency. And also want to walk like a sports car more than 100 miles.
send two separated so I took the body.
Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Click image to enlarge

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Carlos Antonio wrote:
But it's nothing compared to taking the engine! Since he only comes out by removing the entire body in a lift!

You dont HAVE to remove the body to get the engine out. it can be done with the body in place if you dont have the facilities to lift the body.

There is a bit more involved in the strip down, but it does come out with the body in place Thumbs Up

Well this is news to me since the very representative of the Land Rover here gave no other alternative but to this. But thanks for the info.
I apologize if I'm dodging the subject of the topic, create a new one to show the photos for leaving the only belt?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #93100513th May 2012 4:47 am
maxmax

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

removed wrong place
 D3 2.7 TDv6 HSE, 2005 in silver.
2009 nav disc (thanks Wiggs)
2007 software upgrade (thanks Wiggs and Geoff) with 3 flash indicators, follow me home reverse lights, fog with side lights & canadian driving lights
D4 bluetooth module (thanks Wiggs again) 

Post #93608128th May 2012 4:19 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Disco-Mikey great info on rear belt Bow down Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #96829022nd Aug 2012 7:20 am
Disco_Mikey

No problem Thumbs Up

Good luck fixing yours, have read your thread Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #96832122nd Aug 2012 10:22 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi guys, decided to undertake this job after reading through the gratious and excellent original post. Just got the old belt off without too much trouble, but need to ask some questions:

1. The Dayco timing belt I was supplied (by terrainvehicles.co.uk) has differnt part number compared to the old one, and no direction of rotation marked (Pic below, new belt on top). Surely the belt supplied is correct, but I don't want to take even the smallest chance. Is someone here able to confirm whether this is the correct belt?
Click image to enlarge

2. I'd like more detailed explanation of how install the front belt tensioner. I expected the base of the tensioner would have some means to positively locate onto the mounting, but I see that it can be installed at any angle. I can see a hex key can be used to adjust the angular position, but the instructions about arrow direction in the original post is a bit ambiguous. I find it strange also that there is no positive means to stop the tensioner from rotating if the bolt becomes even slightly lose? Can someone kindly explain step by step how it is supposed to be installed?

3. Regarding the rear auxiliary drive belt, how the hell to you release one of the cover clips? Any tips, eg tools and technique used?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post #99215621st Oct 2012 8:34 am
Disco_Mikey

The front belts are all the same, for all model years. If there is no direction of rotation marked on the belt, the general rule is to fit it so the writing faces you. With the Dayco belt for the TDV6, that is the same way it comes off, only the new belt does not have a direction indicated.

The front belt tensioner does not locate into anything in the block, it tensions itself against the belt. Fit the belt and tensioner, turn the 10mm hex in the tensioner anti-clockwise to set the correct tension, and torque bolt

As yours is an 06MY, the rear belt cover is a doddle. Use a long screwdriver if req. to release the clips at the top, lift out of the lower clips, and wiggle the cover out Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #99216521st Oct 2012 8:48 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

zetecr

If you look in my gallery there are two pictures of the front belt tensioner the first picture I took was before I released the tensioner and you can see how much it has moved away from the notch being in the center with belt wear.
When you tighten the tensioner the notch should be in the center of the window when fully torqued up.

The rear belt cover does come off quite easy I have always just used my fingers and pressed down on the two plastic latches on the top and has DM says you have to wiggle it to get it out, just don't drop anything down the back as its a right pig to find after.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #99218321st Oct 2012 9:26 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Many thanks for the quick reply guys.

Post #99255422nd Oct 2012 5:26 am
chrisalang

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am changing the timing belt on my 05 D3 this weekend.
From the thread above there is a mention about "turn the 10mm hex in the tensioner anti-clockwise to set the correct tension, and torque bolt"

What is the correct tension? Is this in Nm?

Many thanks for your replies chaps.

Post #100262113th Nov 2012 7:57 am
Disco_Mikey

The correct tension is aligning the pointer in the window of the tensioner Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #100270313th Nov 2012 11:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 34 <123 45 ... 323334>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >